* org creates bibtex fontification buffers without setting dialect, causes error
@ 2018-06-15  2:34 Adam Porter
From: Adam Porter @ 2018-06-15  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

For a while now I've been getting "(wrong-type-argument stringp nil)"
errors from a timer running bibtex-parse-buffers-stealthily.  Finally
I've tracked it down to an "*org-src-fontification:bibtex-mode*" buffer
(which is hidden, but shows up in ibuffer by pressing "C-u g").  The
backtrace was not very helpful, apparently because of some defsubsts
being used, but by stepping through code with edebug, I found that the
problem is that the fontification buffer is in BibTeX mode, but
bibtex-set-dialect has not been called, so certain variables are not
initialized in that buffer, and eventually bibtex-parse-keys fails in
its defsubst bibtex-type-in-head.  Calling bibtex-set-dialect fixes the
problem.

It seems easy enough to fix: Org should call bibtex-set-dialect in its
BibTeX fontification buffer. But why has no one else has noticed this
problem?  It seems like this should happen to every Org user who has a
BibTeX source block in an open Org buffer.

Thanks.

* Re: org creates bibtex fontification buffers without setting dialect, causes error
@ 2018-06-15  8:15 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2018-06-15  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Porter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thursday, 14 Jun 2018 at 21:34, Adam Porter wrote:

[...]

> It seems easy enough to fix: Org should call bibtex-set-dialect in its
> BibTeX fontification buffer. But why has no one else has noticed this
> problem?  It seems like this should happen to every Org user who has a
> BibTeX source block in an open Org buffer.

I have had this problem for a very long time now but have never been
able to diagnose it.  I don't have the requisite Emacs skills for
this. :-(

It would indeed be nice for this to be fixed!  And thanks for your
diagnosis.

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, Org release_9.1.13-753-g2ec5d3

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: org creates bibtex fontification buffers without setting dialect, causes error
@ 2018-06-15 20:45 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-06-15 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Porter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net> writes:

> It seems easy enough to fix: Org should call bibtex-set-dialect in its
> BibTeX fontification buffer.

Do you want to propose a patch?

Nicolas Goaziou