* Show weekday in daily agenda view
@ 2019-05-14 19:09 johanna.may
From: johanna.may @ 2019-05-14 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi org-mode community,

maybe I did not search the right way in google alias startpage. But I
could not figure out how to write next to the date e.g. 2000-04-01 the
weekday, i.e. the specific day of the week. It would come very handy to
have the date displayed as 2019-05-14 Tu and 2019-05-15 We and so on. Or
even have it spelled out as 2019-05-14 Tuesday.

Probably there is a way of setting this. How does it work?

Thanks and cheers,

* Re: Show weekday in daily agenda view
@ 2019-05-14 20:48 ` Richard Lawrence
From: Richard Lawrence @ 2019-05-14 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: johanna.may, emacs-orgmode

Hi Johanna,

johanna.may@th-koeln.de writes:

> maybe I did not search the right way in google alias startpage. But I
> could not figure out how to write next to the date e.g. 2000-04-01 the
> weekday, i.e. the specific day of the week. It would come very handy to
> have the date displayed as 2019-05-14 Tu and 2019-05-15 We and so on. Or
> even have it spelled out as 2019-05-14 Tuesday.
>
> Probably there is a way of setting this. How does it work?

Hmm.  My daily agenda (the default one) starts like this:

Day-agenda (W20):
Tuesday    14 May 2019

and tasks, etc. are listed below that.  I don't think I've ever
customized this.  Are you seeing something different?  Or maybe you mean
something else by "agenda"?

If you're talking about Org's built-in agenda, you might want to take a
look at the `org-agenda-format-date' variable.  Mine is set to the
org-agenda-format-date-aligned function, which I assume is what outputs
the example above.

If you're just talking about timestamps in Org files, you might want to
look at the `org-time-stamp-custom-formats' and
`org-display-custom-times' variables.

Hope that helps!

--
Best,
Richard

* Re: Show weekday in daily agenda view
@ 2019-05-14 21:15 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2019-05-14 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

johanna.may@th-koeln.de writes:

> maybe I did not search the right way in google alias startpage. But I
> could not figure out how to write next to the date e.g. 2000-04-01 the
> weekday, i.e. the specific day of the week. It would come very handy to
> have the date displayed as 2019-05-14 Tu and 2019-05-15 We and so on. Or
> even have it spelled out as 2019-05-14 Tuesday.

How do you generate that view?

Doesn't your agenda view already show the day of the week?  With the
recommended keybinding, I get a daily agenda with C-c a a d.

Mine starts like this:

,----
| Day-agenda (W20):
| Tuesday    14 May 2019
|                8:00...... ----------------
|   appts:      10:00-11:30 Tools Meeting
|               10:00...... ----------------
|               12:00...... ----------------
|               14:00...... ----------------
|               16:00...... ----------------
|               18:00...... ----------------
|               20:00...... ----------------
|   work:       Sched.Xx:  TODO Review PR
|   work:       Sched.2x:  TODO Add issue
|   Weather:    OpenWeatherMap: light rain, 3-8°C, 1010hpa, 90%, 3m/s
`----

so it definitely shows the weekday, but perhaps you are doing something
different?

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler

* Re: Show weekday in daily agenda view
@ 2019-05-15  6:42   ` Prof. Dr. Johanna May
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Prof. Dr. Johanna May @ 2019-05-15  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Lawrence; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, johanna.may

Hi Richard,
thanks for pointing me at the variable org-agenda-format-date. There
was  a line in my dotemacs that included a formatting without the
weekday (something like %y-%w-%d). I could not figure out how the
name-of-the-weekday format would be called. But for now I'm fine with
returning to the default which gives me an English date including the
weekday.

Cheers, J

@ 2019-05-15  9:14     ` Heinz Tuechler
From: Heinz Tuechler @ 2019-05-15  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear Johanna,

for me
(setq calendar-day-name-array ["Sonntag" "Montag" "Dienstag" "Mittwoch"
			       "Donnerstag" "Freitag" "Samstag"]
       calendar-month-name-array ["Januar" "Februar" "Maerz" "April" "Mai"
				 "Juni" "Juli" "August" "September"
				 "Oktober" "November" "Dezember"])
in .emacs results in German names.

best regards,

Heinz

--
Heinz Tüchler +436605653878

* Re: Show weekday in daily agenda view
@ 2019-05-15  9:29     ` Richard Lawrence
From: Richard Lawrence @ 2019-05-15  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode, johanna.may

Hi Johanna,

"Prof. Dr. Johanna May" <johanna.may@th-koeln.de> writes:

> thanks for pointing me at the variable org-agenda-format-date. There
> was  a line in my dotemacs that included a formatting without the
> weekday (something like %y-%w-%d).

Ah, ok, great!

> I could not figure out how the name-of-the-weekday format would be
> called. But for now I'm fine with returning to the default which gives
> me an English date including the weekday.

You probably want "%a" or "%A" somewhere in there, if you want a
locale-specific name of the weekday.  See the docstring for the
format-time-string function.

--
Best,
Richard

* Re: Show weekday in daily agenda view
@ 2019-05-15 10:40     ` Heinz Tuechler
From: Heinz Tuechler @ 2019-05-15 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

--

@ 2019-05-15 10:48       ` Prof. Dr. Johanna May
From: Prof. Dr. Johanna May @ 2019-05-15 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Lawrence; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hey there,
thank you very much, that is now perfect:

I use

(setq org-agenda-format-date ;; (1)
      "%Y-%m-%d %A ----------------------------------------") ;; (1)

(the (1) in brackets gives me an indication of where I got the initial
code from)

and it gives me

2019-05-15 Mittwoch ----------------------------------------

all I want :)

Cheers and have a good week

@ 2019-05-16 12:54   ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2019-05-16 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> johanna.may@th-koeln.de writes:
>
>> maybe I did not search the right way in google alias startpage. But I
>> could not figure out how to write next to the date e.g. 2000-04-01 the
>> weekday, i.e. the specific day of the week. It would come very handy to
>> have the date displayed as 2019-05-14 Tu and 2019-05-15 We and so on. Or
>> even have it spelled out as 2019-05-14 Tuesday.
>>

> How do you generate that view?
>
> Doesn't your agenda view already show the day of the week?  With the
> recommended keybinding, I get a daily agenda with C-c a a d.
>
> Mine starts like this:
>
> ,----
> | Day-agenda (W20):
> | Tuesday    14 May 2019
> |                8:00...... ----------------
> |   appts:      10:00-11:30 Tools Meeting
> |               10:00...... ----------------
> |               12:00...... ----------------
> |               14:00...... ----------------
> |               16:00...... ----------------
> |               18:00...... ----------------
> |               20:00...... ----------------
> |   work:       Sched.Xx:  TODO Review PR
> |   work:       Sched.2x:  TODO Add issue
> |   Weather:    OpenWeatherMap: light rain, 3-8°C, 1010hpa, 90%, 3m/s
> `----
>
> so it definitely shows the weekday, but perhaps you are doing something
> different?

How do you generate *that* view?  How do you have it creating sub-groups?  All
I get is a straight-forward list of days and times, with all items in chrono
order....

Dave in Hudson, FL

* Re: Show weekday in daily agenda view
@ 2019-05-16 17:33     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2019-05-16 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

dboyd@attentigroup.com (J. David Boyd) writes:

> Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> johanna.may@th-koeln.de writes:
>>
>>> maybe I did not search the right way in google alias startpage. But I
>>> could not figure out how to write next to the date e.g. 2000-04-01 the
>>> weekday, i.e. the specific day of the week. It would come very handy to
>>> have the date displayed as 2019-05-14 Tu and 2019-05-15 We and so on. Or
>>> even have it spelled out as 2019-05-14 Tuesday.
>>>

>> How do you generate that view?
>>
>> Doesn't your agenda view already show the day of the week?  With the
>> recommended keybinding, I get a daily agenda with C-c a a d.
>>
>> Mine starts like this:
>>
>> ,----
>> | Day-agenda (W20):
>> | Tuesday    14 May 2019
>> |                8:00...... ----------------
>> |   appts:      10:00-11:30 Tools Meeting
>> |               10:00...... ----------------
>> |               12:00...... ----------------
>> |               14:00...... ----------------
>> |               16:00...... ----------------
>> |               18:00...... ----------------
>> |               20:00...... ----------------
>> |   work:       Sched.Xx:  TODO Review PR
>> |   work:       Sched.2x:  TODO Add issue
>> |   Weather:    OpenWeatherMap: light rain, 3-8°C, 1010hpa, 90%, 3m/s
>> `----
>>
>> so it definitely shows the weekday, but perhaps you are doing something
>> different?
>

> How do you generate *that* view?  How do you have it creating sub-groups?  All
> I get is a straight-forward list of days and times, with all items in chrono
> order....

Not sure what you mean by "sub-groups". And I'm pretty sure I don't do
anything special to get this. The grid is the standard grid - I
believe that comes "free" with the default settings of
org-agenda-time-grid and org-agenda-use-time-grid.

The appts:, work: and Weather: thingies are "categories" - the first
two come from the name of the agenda file where the item originated:
I have a work.org file for work items and an appts.org file which contains just
reminders. It actually contains a bit more: there are top-level headlines
for Anniversaries, Weather and Appointments like this:

,----
| * Anniversaries
|        :PROPERTIES:
|        :CATEGORY: Anniv
|        :ID:       409062f6-6cb1-467f-b192-2dfcb7b384ca
|        :END:
| %%(org-bbdb-anniversaries)
|
| * Weather
|   :PROPERTIES:
|   :CATEGORY: Weather
|   :END:
| %%(org-weather)
|
| * Appointments
| ** APPT Doctor appt <some date and time>
`----

Items in the Appoinments section don't have a defined Category
so they are labeled with the fill name ("appts"). Anniversaries
and Weather items have a CATEGORY property so they are labeled
by  the explicit category.

I don't remember whether I do anything special to sort the items
(e.g. why the Weather item is always last). If you are interested
in that, I can dig a little more into my configuration.

Does that answer your question?

--

@ 2019-05-17 12:53       ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2019-05-17 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> dboyd@attentigroup.com (J. David Boyd) writes:
>
>> Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

>>> How do you generate that view?
>>>
>>> Doesn't your agenda view already show the day of the week?  With the
>>> recommended keybinding, I get a daily agenda with C-c a a d.
>>>
>>> Mine starts like this:
>>>
>>> ,----
>>> `----
>>>
>>> so it definitely shows the weekday, but perhaps you are doing something
>>> different?
>>

>> How do you generate *that* view?  How do you have it creating sub-groups?  All
>> I get is a straight-forward list of days and times, with all items in chrono
>> order....
>>

> Not sure what you mean by "sub-groups". And I'm pretty sure I don't do
> anything special to get this. The grid is the standard grid - I
> believe that comes "free" with the default settings of
> org-agenda-time-grid and org-agenda-use-time-grid.
>
> The appts:, work: and Weather: thingies are "categories" - the first
> two come from the name of the agenda file where the item originated:
> I have a work.org file for work items and an appts.org file which contains just
> reminders. It actually contains a bit more: there are top-level headlines
> for Anniversaries, Weather and Appointments like this:
>
> ,----
> | * Anniversaries
> |        :PROPERTIES:
> |        :CATEGORY: Anniv
> |        :ID:       409062f6-6cb1-467f-b192-2dfcb7b384ca
> |        :END:
> | %%(org-bbdb-anniversaries)
> |
> | * Weather
> |   :PROPERTIES:
> |   :CATEGORY: Weather
> |   :END:
> | %%(org-weather)
> |
> | * Appointments
> | ** APPT Doctor appt <some date and time>
> `----
>
> Items in the Appoinments section don't have a defined Category
> so they are labeled with the fill name ("appts"). Anniversaries
> and Weather items have a CATEGORY property so they are labeled
> by  the explicit category.
>
> I don't remember whether I do anything special to sort the items
> (e.g. why the Weather item is always last). If you are interested
> in that, I can dig a little more into my configuration.
>
> Does that answer your question?

That helps immensely, evidently I have some reading to do, so I understand
more of how to change the agenda view around.

And yes please, could/would you check your config and see if anything special
is done?

Thanks very much!

Dave in Hudson, FL

* Re: Show weekday in daily agenda view
@ 2019-05-20 12:46         ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2019-05-20 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. David Boyd; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

dboyd@attentigroup.com (J. David Boyd) writes:

> Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> dboyd@attentigroup.com (J. David Boyd) writes:

>>> How do you generate *that* view?  How do you have it creating sub-groups?  All
>>> I get is a straight-forward list of days and times, with all items in chrono
>>> order....
>>>

>> Not sure what you mean by "sub-groups". And I'm pretty sure I don't do
>> anything special to get this. The grid is the standard grid - I
>> believe that comes "free" with the default settings of
>> org-agenda-time-grid and org-agenda-use-time-grid.
>>
>> The appts:, work: and Weather: thingies are "categories" - the first
>> two come from the name of the agenda file where the item originated:
>> I have a work.org file for work items and an appts.org file which contains just
>> reminders. It actually contains a bit more: there are top-level headlines
>> for Anniversaries, Weather and Appointments like this:
>>
>> ,----
>> | * Anniversaries
>> |        :PROPERTIES:
>> |        :CATEGORY: Anniv
>> |        :ID:       409062f6-6cb1-467f-b192-2dfcb7b384ca
>> |        :END:
>> | %%(org-bbdb-anniversaries)
>> |
>> | * Weather
>> |   :PROPERTIES:
>> |   :CATEGORY: Weather
>> |   :END:
>> | %%(org-weather)
>> |
>> | * Appointments
>> | ** APPT Doctor appt <some date and time>
>> `----
>>
>> Items in the Appoinments section don't have a defined Category
>> so they are labeled with the fill name ("appts"). Anniversaries
>> and Weather items have a CATEGORY property so they are labeled
>> by  the explicit category.
>>
>> I don't remember whether I do anything special to sort the items
>> (e.g. why the Weather item is always last). If you are interested
>> in that, I can dig a little more into my configuration.
>>
>> Does that answer your question?
>

> That helps immensely, evidently I have some reading to do, so I understand
> more of how to change the agenda view around.
>
> And yes please, could/would you check your config and see if anything special
> is done?
>
> Thanks very much!
>
> Dave in Hudson, FL

Make sure you have files contributing to org-agenda-files otherwise your
agenda view will be empty.

Regards,
Bernt