* Step by step tutorial on Worg on how to create a new export backend
@ 2020-02-14 20:48 Bastien
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Bastien @ 2020-02-14 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

We have a good reference documentation for creating export backends:
https://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-export-reference.html

But we *badly* need a step by step tutorial on Worg.

Anyone would like to volunteer for writing such a tutorial?

--
 Bastien

* Re: Step by step tutorial on Worg on how to create a new export backend
@ 2020-02-15 17:55 ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2020-02-15 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2020-02-14, at 21:48, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:

> We have a good reference documentation for creating export backends:
> https://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-export-reference.html
>
> But we *badly* need a step by step tutorial on Worg.
>
> Anyone would like to volunteer for writing such a tutorial?

I might try to at least start it, though I'll need some time.  When is
that needed?  (I assume that the sooner, the better, so if there is
anyone who would beat me to it, go on.  I might do some proofreading
then.)

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

* Re: Step by step tutorial on Worg on how to create a new export backend
@ 2020-02-15 20:17 ` Robert Klein
From: Robert Klein @ 2020-02-15 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 21:48:02 +0100
Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:

> We have a good reference documentation for creating export backends:
> https://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-export-reference.html
>
> But we *badly* need a step by step tutorial on Worg.
>
> Anyone would like to volunteer for writing such a tutorial?

I actually began writing something about “deriving a export backend”
back in 2013.

Deriving a backend might be an ideal starting point of creating an
export backend; IIRC the main difference is, for a new backend you'll
have to provide /all/ the options whereas in a derived exporter you
could simply provide e.g. another src-block interpretation as
alternative to the html exporter.

Back then for some reason I didn't like punchagan's “org2blog” (which
is not an exporter) and wrote my own ox-blog (derived from ox-html) for
exporting into wordpress (i don't use wordpress anymore, so it's
rotting away on github...).

Best regards
Robert

* Re: Step by step tutorial on Worg on how to create a new export backend
@ 2020-02-16  0:46   ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2020-02-16  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Orgmode

> On Feb 16, 2020, at 2:55, Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> wrote:
>

> On 2020-02-14, at 21:48, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> We have a good reference documentation for creating export backends:
>> https://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-export-reference.html
>>
>> But we *badly* need a step by step tutorial on Worg.
>>
>> Anyone would like to volunteer for writing such a tutorial?
>
> I might try to at least start it, though I'll need some time.  When is
> that needed?  (I assume that the sooner, the better, so if there is
> anyone who would beat me to it, go on.  I might do some proofreading
> then.)

Marcin,

Aren't you supposed to write a book about Emacs already ? ;)

Jean-Christophe Helary

* Re: Step by step tutorial on Worg on how to create a new export backend
@ 2020-02-16  8:05     ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2020-02-16  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary; +Cc: Emacs Orgmode

On 2020-02-16, at 01:46, Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@traduction-libre.org> wrote:

>> On Feb 16, 2020, at 2:55, Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> wrote:
>>

>> On 2020-02-14, at 21:48, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:
>>
>>> We have a good reference documentation for creating export backends:
>>> https://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-export-reference.html
>>>
>>> But we *badly* need a step by step tutorial on Worg.
>>>
>>> Anyone would like to volunteer for writing such a tutorial?
>>
>> I might try to at least start it, though I'll need some time.  When is
>> that needed?  (I assume that the sooner, the better, so if there is
>> anyone who would beat me to it, go on.  I might do some proofreading
>> then.)
>
> Marcin,
>
> Aren't you supposed to write a book about Emacs already ? ;)

Yep, point taken.  But the tutorial is a much smaller thing, and
I already did a similar thing (the Emacs Conf 2015 talk on creating
derived exporters), so much of the work is already done.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

* Re: Step by step tutorial on Worg on how to create a new export backend
@ 2020-02-16  8:09       ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2020-02-16  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Orgmode

> On Feb 16, 2020, at 17:05, Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> wrote:
>

> On 2020-02-16, at 01:46, Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@traduction-libre.org> wrote:

>>> I might try to at least start it, though I'll need some time.  When is
>>> that needed?  (I assume that the sooner, the better, so if there is
>>> anyone who would beat me to it, go on.  I might do some proofreading
>>> then.)
>>
>> Marcin,
>>
>> Aren't you supposed to write a book about Emacs already ? ;)
>
> Yep, point taken.

I'm really not picking on you or anything :) I just realized that I would have written *exactly* the same thing in other contexts knowing that my plate is already over-full.

> But the tutorial is a much smaller thing, and
> I already did a similar thing (the Emacs Conf 2015 talk on creating
> derived exporters), so much of the work is already done.

And I'd love to read that.

Jean-Christophe Helary

* Re: Step by step tutorial on Worg on how to create a new export backend
@ 2020-02-16  8:21 ` Stig Brautaset
From: Stig Brautaset @ 2020-02-16  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien, emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> We have a good reference documentation for creating export backends:
> https://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-export-reference.html
>
> But we *badly* need a step by step tutorial on Worg.
>
> Anyone would like to volunteer for writing such a tutorial?

The primary source of `ox-jira.el' was once[1] an Org tutorial (to
myself) for creating an Org export backend. If this is broadly what you
had in mind, I can dig that out of Git history and put it on Worg. I
won't be able to do substantial edits or updates, as I made it 4 years
ago and it is still my only attempt at creating a backend. (So I have
forgotten most of it.) I still use it and it does pretty much what I
need it to, however.

https://github.com/stig/ox-jira.el/blob/c4b8fd30c3bc48621759c9d128644d2d386e591e/ox-jira.org

Stig

[1] Contributors got confused about the tangle step, probably because
melpa required me to commit the tangled .el as well as the .org source
file, so to make it simpler for them I since changed to shipping only
the tangled file.

* Re: Step by step tutorial on Worg on how to create a new export backend
@ 2020-02-16 10:49   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-02-16 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stig Brautaset; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Stig, Marcin, Jean-Christophe and Robert,

Stig Brautaset <stig@brautaset.org> writes:

> The primary source of `ox-jira.el' was once[1] an Org tutorial (to
> myself) for creating an Org export backend. If this is broadly what you
> had in mind, I can dig that out of Git history and put it on Worg.

Yes, I think that would be a good start:

> https://github.com/stig/ox-jira.el/blob/c4b8fd30c3bc48621759c9d128644d2d386e591e/ox-jira.org

Then, after you commit an edited version of these instructions, maybe
Robert and Marcin can help reviewing and enhancing it to ensure it is
self-sufficient and explicit enough?

Let me know if you don't already have push access to worg.git.

Thanks!

--

@ 2020-02-20 22:00     ` Stig Brautaset
From: Stig Brautaset @ 2020-02-20 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:
> Then, after you commit an edited version of these instructions, maybe
> Robert and Marcin can help reviewing and enhancing it to ensure it is
> self-sufficient and explicit enough?

I have pushed a (ever so) slightly edited version as new file in a
branch to worg here:

https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/worg/src/org-export-backend-tutorial/org-tutorials/org-export-backend.org

Would Robert/Marcin like to take it from here?

Stig

* Emacs Lisp book (was: Step by step tutorial on Worg on how to create a new export backend)
@ 2021-05-01  8:26     ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2021-05-01  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary; +Cc: Emacs Orgmode

On 2020-02-16, at 01:46, Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@traduction-libre.org> wrote:

> Aren't you supposed to write a book about Emacs already ? ;)

Surprise, surprise!

The book is out!

Before you get too excited - it's not complete yet.  I published a draft
on Leanpub, which is a platform for publishing (and selling) books in
progress.  I plan to finish it by September, but if you want to take
a peek, here is a coupon code for you to get it for free (the coupon is
valid for a week)!

https://leanpub.com/hacking-your-way-emacs/c/f23s5unGtLf0

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

* Re: Emacs Lisp book (was: Step by step tutorial on Worg on how to create a new export backend)
@ 2021-05-01  8:37       ` Timothy
From: Timothy @ 2021-05-01  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: Jean-Christophe Helary, emacs-orgmode

> Surprise, surprise!
>
> The book is out!
>
> Before you get too excited - it's not complete yet.  I published a draft
> on Leanpub, which is a platform for publishing (and selling) books in
> progress.  I plan to finish it by September, but if you want to take
> a peek, here is a coupon code for you to get it for free (the coupon is
> valid for a week)!
>
> https://leanpub.com/hacking-your-way-emacs/c/f23s5unGtLf0
>
> Best,

Interesting. I wanted to take a peek but I can't see how to view it for
free ... I may be blind though.

--
Timothy

* Re: Emacs Lisp book (was: Step by step tutorial on Worg on how to create a new export backend)
@ 2021-05-01  9:33         ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2021-05-01  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy; +Cc: Jean-Christophe Helary, emacs-orgmode

On 2021-05-01, at 10:37, Timothy <tecosaur@gmail.com> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:
>
>> Surprise, surprise!
>>
>> The book is out!
>>
>> Before you get too excited - it's not complete yet.  I published a draft
>> on Leanpub, which is a platform for publishing (and selling) books in
>> progress.  I plan to finish it by September, but if you want to take
>> a peek, here is a coupon code for you to get it for free (the coupon is
>> valid for a week)!
>>
>> https://leanpub.com/hacking-your-way-emacs/c/f23s5unGtLf0
>>
>> Best,
>
> Interesting. I wanted to take a peek but I can't see how to view it for
> free ... I may be blind though.

Sorry, my email was meant as a private message to Jean-Christophe.
Sorry for the noise.

You can get a free sample on https://leanpub.com/hacking-your-way-emacs
- it's the introduction and the first chapter.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl