Hi Tom, > The answer is that can only occur inside paragraphs. The issues > here are exactly the same as the issues for inline footnotes. Org gives > us a bit more power, but not the full power because Org is Org, not > Latex. Making available outside of a paragraph would be a massive > breaking change. > > In Timothy’s original example he is narrowly skirting the syntax to > allow that all to remain a single paragraph, but stick in a newline > anywhere and boom, no more paragraph, no more equation. I don’t understand what you’re talking about here. You can already use `\[ ... \]' outside a paragraph, e.g. ┌──── │ blah blah blah │ │ \[ │ not part of a paragraph │ \] │ │ blah blah blah └──── I also don’t see how footnotes are analogous, as footnotes are placed in the middle of a line of text. If you could explain your thoughts here a bit more, that would be appreciated. > I guess one thing I’m missing/not understanding is when/why people > want to use instead of full #+begin_export latex block? org-latex-preview :) All the best, Timothy