* text after sub headings?
@ 2021-12-23 16:11 Robert Nikander
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Robert Nikander @ 2021-12-23 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I see why this is not possible, given the text format of an org file. But I am curious if people think it would be useful. This is a bit off-topic maybe, but I’m imagining what I would do if I created something like org-mode using another underlying format.

Example:

* Top
  Some text under “Top”
  ** A level-2 heading
    Text under level-2 heading
  ** Another level-2 heading
    Text under the second level-2 heading
  More text under “Top”
  So if the level-2 headings were collapsed we would still see this.
  ** Could have more sub-headings here
  More top level text, etc.

* Re: text after sub headings?
@ 2021-12-23 21:21 Robert Nikander
From: Robert Nikander @ 2021-12-23 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Max Nikulin wrote:
> Have you seen the following and links therein?
> https://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#closing-outline-sections

No, I hadn't found that. Thanks. Those links answer my question.

Juan Manuel Macías wrote:
> It is an interesting question; however, I would say that this is not a
> useful or realistic structure. Regardless of the Org trees/subtrees and
> their folding ability (indicating that each thing is at a certain
> level), I think that a content will be more useful and intelligible if
> […]

I see your point.

Maybe it depends on how you use org-mode and how you imagine the meaning of the "*" items. I see some disagreement about this in the old threads that Max linked to. No need to rehash it deeply here again; I was just curious.

The way I'm using org-mode so far, I'm not exporting to other formats, and I can see a use for collapsible sections in the middle of a larger chunk of text. I can already kind of do it with a "-" list item, like this. (Or other things like code blocks, etc)

* Heading
Top Text
Top Text
- Sub
  This can be hidden if I hit 'tab' key on "Sub".
More Top Text
More Top Text

If you view a "*" item as "book section", it's confusing. But if you view a "*" item as "collapsible thing", then it makes more sense.