From: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net>
To: William Denton <william@williamdenton.org>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [POLL] Should we enable or disable automatic tag alignment by default everywhere
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 16:36:34 +0000	[thread overview]

William Denton <william@williamdenton.org> writes:

> On Wednesday, April 17th, 2024 at 06:21, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to ask you, Org mode users, whether we should flip the default
>> value of ~org-auto-align-tags~ to t or leave it as nil
>
> I use proportional fonts for regular text (with the mixed-pitch package).  In this situation, as far as I know the only way to make tags look at consistent is to set org-tags-column to 0 so they directly follow the text (I make the font size smaller, so there's a large heading then small tag) or to jam them way over as far right as they'll go.  Anything else and they look ragged.

Yes. But this is out of scope of the discussed tag alignment -
`org-auto-align-tags' controls the actual plain text in Org buffers.
`org-tags-column' has no meaning when non-proportional fonts are used.

For non-proportional fonts, the display depends on the specifics of the
fonts used to display various parts of the headline. If we want to
display Org tags right-aligned, for example, it is a job for
fontification and does not need to involve editing the underlying plain text.

> So I suspect people using variable pitches will already have this turned on, and making it the default won't bother them.

Sure. I'd like to hear from people who do care about the proposed changes.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,