emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* arithmatic error when scheduling +0d
@ 2009-01-14 10:16 Gijs Hillenius
  2009-01-14 13:23 ` Matthew Lundin
  2009-01-14 14:32 ` Dennis Groves
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2009-01-14 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

To all readers, an inspiring 2009. 

Say, in one of my files, I had a 

** TODO Pay taxes
   SCHEDULED: <2009-01-15 Thu +0d>

which the last few days (?) has been causing an 

org-closest-date: Arithmetic error

I decided to investigate this today. I actually first noticed the error
this weekend.

According to the debugger the 0 was the cause. I changed it into a 1
(<2009-01-15 Thu +1d>) and the error disappeared. 

This is a user error, I bet. Am I not supposed to do 0d? 

Thanks

Gijs

Org-mode version 6.16 running on GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (emacs-snapshot
from http://emacs.orebokech.com)


-- 
Um menininho tinha um gatinho chamado Tido, que toda noite dormia num
cestinho. Um belo dia, o menininho foi procura-lo e não o achou. Qual
o nome do filme?

O Cesto Sem Tido

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: arithmatic error when scheduling +0d
  2009-01-14 10:16 arithmatic error when scheduling +0d Gijs Hillenius
@ 2009-01-14 13:23 ` Matthew Lundin
  2009-01-14 15:10   ` Gijs Hillenius
  2009-01-14 14:32 ` Dennis Groves
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-01-14 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gijs Hillenius; +Cc: emacs-orgmode


Hi Gijs,

While you can use +0 to schedule an event for today after typing C-c
C-s on a headline, I don't believe you can use +0d for a repeating
timestamp. If it did work, it would cause a task to repeat forever on
the same day - so that's probably why it isn't supported. To create a
task that repeats each day, +1d is what you want.

Best,
Matt

Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> To all readers, an inspiring 2009. 
>
> Say, in one of my files, I had a 
>
> ** TODO Pay taxes
>    SCHEDULED: <2009-01-15 Thu +0d>
>
> which the last few days (?) has been causing an 
>
> org-closest-date: Arithmetic error
>
> I decided to investigate this today. I actually first noticed the error
> this weekend.
>
> According to the debugger the 0 was the cause. I changed it into a 1
> (<2009-01-15 Thu +1d>) and the error disappeared. 
>
> This is a user error, I bet. Am I not supposed to do 0d? 
>
> Thanks
>
> Gijs
>
> Org-mode version 6.16 running on GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (emacs-snapshot
> from http://emacs.orebokech.com)
>
>
> -- 
> Um menininho tinha um gatinho chamado Tido, que toda noite dormia num
> cestinho. Um belo dia, o menininho foi procura-lo e não o achou. Qual
> o nome do filme?
>
> O Cesto Sem Tido
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Emacs-orgmode mailing list
> Remember: use `Reply All' to send replies to the list.
> Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
> http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-orgmode

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: arithmatic error when scheduling +0d
  2009-01-14 10:16 arithmatic error when scheduling +0d Gijs Hillenius
  2009-01-14 13:23 ` Matthew Lundin
@ 2009-01-14 14:32 ` Dennis Groves
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Dennis Groves @ 2009-01-14 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gijs Hillenius; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Wow, that puts a really new spin on finding a 'zero-day' ... :-)

Dennis


On 14 Jan 2009, at 10:16, Gijs Hillenius wrote:

> Hello,
>
> To all readers, an inspiring 2009.
>
> Say, in one of my files, I had a
>
> ** TODO Pay taxes
>   SCHEDULED: <2009-01-15 Thu +0d>
>
> which the last few days (?) has been causing an
>
> org-closest-date: Arithmetic error
>
> I decided to investigate this today. I actually first noticed the  
> error
> this weekend.
>
> According to the debugger the 0 was the cause. I changed it into a 1
> (<2009-01-15 Thu +1d>) and the error disappeared.
>
> This is a user error, I bet. Am I not supposed to do 0d?
>
> Thanks
>
> Gijs
>
> Org-mode version 6.16 running on GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (emacs-snapshot
> from http://emacs.orebokech.com)
>
>
> -- 
> Um menininho tinha um gatinho chamado Tido, que toda noite dormia num
> cestinho. Um belo dia, o menininho foi procura-lo e não o achou. Qual
> o nome do filme?
>
> O Cesto Sem Tido
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Emacs-orgmode mailing list
> Remember: use `Reply All' to send replies to the list.
> Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
> http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-orgmode

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: arithmatic error when scheduling +0d
  2009-01-14 13:23 ` Matthew Lundin
@ 2009-01-14 15:10   ` Gijs Hillenius
  2009-01-14 15:29     ` Matthew Lundin
  2009-01-14 15:35     ` Bernt Hansen
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2009-01-14 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 14 Jan 2009, Matthew Lundin wrote:

> Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:
>
>> Say, in one of my files, I had a 
>>
>> ** TODO Pay taxes
>> SCHEDULED: <2009-01-15 Thu +0d>
>>
>> which the last few days (?) has been causing an 
>>
>> org-closest-date: Arithmetic error

(snip and undo the top-quote)

> Hi Gijs,
>
> While you can use +0 to schedule an event for today after typing C-c
> C-s on a headline, I don't believe you can use +0d for a repeating
> timestamp. If it did work, it would cause a task to repeat forever on
> the same day - so that's probably why it isn't supported. To create a
> task that repeats each day, +1d is what you want.
>
> Best,
> Matt

Thanks! But I thought the +0d in "SCHEDULED: <2009-01-15 Thu +0d>"
means that I would be warned about this TODO item not 14 days or less
before the date, but only on the date itself. Maybe I should have
written +0, as per http://orgmode.org/org.html#Timestamps

I have a feeling this behaviour changed "recently" in org-mode. But
it is probably just me.







-- 
Declared guilty... of displaying feelings of an almost human nature.
		-- Pink Floyd, "The Wall"

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: arithmatic error when scheduling +0d
  2009-01-14 15:10   ` Gijs Hillenius
@ 2009-01-14 15:29     ` Matthew Lundin
  2009-01-14 16:01       ` Gijs Hillenius
  2009-01-14 15:35     ` Bernt Hansen
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-01-14 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gijs Hillenius; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:
>
> Thanks! But I thought the +0d in "SCHEDULED: <2009-01-15 Thu +0d>"
> means that I would be warned about this TODO item not 14 days or less
> before the date, but only on the date itself. Maybe I should have
> written +0, as per http://orgmode.org/org.html#Timestamps
>
> I have a feeling this behaviour changed "recently" in org-mode. But
> it is probably just me.
>

I think you are confusing DEADLINE and SCHEDULED items. For items with
a deadline, you can indeed add a warning time specifier, as in 

,----
| ** Deadline
|    DEADLINE: <2009-01-15 Thu -0d>
`----

Which means that the deadline warning will first show up on your
agenda on the day it is due, or 

,----
| ** Deadline
|    DEADLINE: <2009-01-15 Thu -3d>
`----

Which means the warning will show up three days before the item is
due.

- Scheduled items first show up on the agenda on the day they are
scheduled and every day thereafter until they are marked done.

- Deadline warnings show up on the agenda n days before the deadline,
with n specified in the variable org-deadline-warning-day or via the
negative modifier in the examples above.

Hope this helps,

Matt

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: arithmatic error when scheduling +0d
  2009-01-14 15:10   ` Gijs Hillenius
  2009-01-14 15:29     ` Matthew Lundin
@ 2009-01-14 15:35     ` Bernt Hansen
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-01-14 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gijs Hillenius; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:

> On 14 Jan 2009, Matthew Lundin wrote:
>
>> Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:
>>
>>> Say, in one of my files, I had a 
>>>
>>> ** TODO Pay taxes
>>> SCHEDULED: <2009-01-15 Thu +0d>

<snip>

> Thanks! But I thought the +0d in "SCHEDULED: <2009-01-15 Thu +0d>"
> means that I would be warned about this TODO item not 14 days or less
> before the date, but only on the date itself. Maybe I should have
> written +0, as per http://orgmode.org/org.html#Timestamps
>
> I have a feeling this behaviour changed "recently" in org-mode. But
> it is probably just me.

No.. that's -0d :) and it's only for DEADLINES

+3d days is the period to repeat (repeat every 3 days)
-3d is how many days in advance to show up on the agenda instead of the
    default setting org-deadline-warning-days

-Bernt

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: arithmatic error when scheduling +0d
  2009-01-14 15:29     ` Matthew Lundin
@ 2009-01-14 16:01       ` Gijs Hillenius
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2009-01-14 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 14 Jan 2009, Matthew Lundin wrote:

> Hope this helps,

It does. Note to self: I should spend more time with the
manual.


Thanks! (you all!)



-- 
Dyslexics have more fnu.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2009-01-14 16:01 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 7+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2009-01-14 10:16 arithmatic error when scheduling +0d Gijs Hillenius
2009-01-14 13:23 ` Matthew Lundin
2009-01-14 15:10   ` Gijs Hillenius
2009-01-14 15:29     ` Matthew Lundin
2009-01-14 16:01       ` Gijs Hillenius
2009-01-14 15:35     ` Bernt Hansen
2009-01-14 14:32 ` Dennis Groves

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).