* org-crypt and org-mobile-crypt; user info?
@ 2010-10-21 19:43 Magnus Nilsson
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Magnus Nilsson @ 2010-10-21 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear subscribers,

I haven't found much information about org-crypt and org-mobile-crypt.  Will
these topics be expanded in the org-manual?

I would be delighted if anyone could teach me (informatively) how to succeed
with the following two tasks:

1. Encrypt a "password-table" I keep in an org-file when saved to disk,
while text would be plain in the buffer. (Best if it can be "transparent"
without passwords, but that is not a must.)
2. Encrypt files on the Dropbox server, in a "transparent" way, so that I do
not need to use passwords to sync between org and Iphone (which I let Emacs
do automatically once each day).

Thanks in advance,
Magnus

* Re: org-crypt and org-mobile-crypt; user info?
@ 2010-10-21 19:55 ` Chris Thompson
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Chris Thompson @ 2010-10-21 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Magnus Nilsson <magnus.nilsson <at> alumni.chalmers.se> writes:

> I would be delighted if anyone could teach me (informatively) how to succeed
with the following two tasks:

> 1. Encrypt a "password-table" I keep in an org-file when saved to disk, while
text would be plain in the buffer. (Best if it can be "transparent" without
passwords, but that is not a must.)

I don't have experience with org-mobile, but the following blog posting answers
your first question:
http://emacs.wordpress.com/2008/07/18/keeping-your-secrets-secret/

Note that you don't have to use org-crypt if the entire buffer is to be
encrypted. Org-crypt is only necessary if you want to mix and match encrypted
and non-encrypted org-mode items in the same file, for example if you want some
items to show up in the agenda.

Also, on Windows and Mac machines, you have to install GNUPG first. It's a
separate download from the mainstream emacs distributions on both platforms.

-- Chris

* Re: org-crypt and org-mobile-crypt; user info?
@ 2010-10-21 20:05 ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2010-10-21 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Magnus Nilsson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I'm new to org-crypt, but I was able to make it work last week. First, I
created a PGP key using seahorse (not required, but make thinks easier).

Then I put the code below in my .emacs file
(require 'org-crypt)
(org-crypt-use-before-save-magic) ; Encrypts everything with the crypt tag
                                  ; when the buffer is saved
(setq org-tags-exclude-from-inheritance (quote ("crypt")))
(setq org-crypt-key "XXXXXXXX")
where the XXXXXXXX is the ID of my PGP key in seahorse. With this all
headings with the tag crypt will be encrypted when the file is saved.

If I want to see the content I run the command org-decrypt-entry (or
org-decrypt-entries to decrypt all headings in the file). When I save the
file again everything will be encrypted.

I'm only asked for the password of my PGP key when I want to decrypt a
heading. If you do don't want to create a PGP key then I think you will
need to set a property in the heading with the crypt key and org will ask
you for a password to encrypt the heading.

--
Darlan

@ 2010-10-21 20:11 ` Greg Troxel
From: Greg Troxel @ 2010-10-21 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Magnus Nilsson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

  2. Encrypt files on the Dropbox server, in a "transparent" way, so that I do
  not need to use passwords to sync between org and Iphone (which I let Emacs
  do automatically once each day).

This is what MobileOrg's encryption is for. You set a password in your
.emacs and then the same one on MobileOrg and the files in
dropbox/webdav are encrypted, and there is no hassle.  Note that
MobileOrg only has encrypttion support in the beta 1.5, not the released
1.4 - I have a beta and am using it/testing it.

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 194 bytes --]

* Re: org-crypt and org-mobile-crypt; user info?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-10-21 20:18 ` Łukasz Stelmach
From: Łukasz Stelmach @ 2010-10-21 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Magnus Nilsson <magnus.nilsson@alumni.chalmers.se> writes:

> 1. Encrypt a "password-table" I keep in an org-file when saved to disk,
> while text would be plain in the buffer. (Best if it can be "transparent"
> without passwords, but that is not a must.)

With Emacs the best way IMHO to do it is use GnuPG/epg directly. You do it by
simply naming a new file with an additional .gpg extension after the
real one (.org in our case). So simply

C-x C-f password-table.org.gpg RET

and choose yourself as the recipient of the ciphertext

There are two main advantage of this solution

1. you can access the table without running emacs (with an ssh client on
your mobile?) by simply runnig

gpg < password-table.org

on the command line.

2. Emacs runs gnupg completely seamlessly (if you run gpg-agent which
caches the passphrases)

--
Miłego dnia,
Łukasz Stelmach