* moving in the agenda view is slow
@ 2010-11-26 16:26 Rainer Stengele
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2010-11-26 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I am struggling more and more with slowness in my agenda view.
Moving from line to line with n and p is slow.
Pressing the n key for 2 seconds will result in the cursor not following every keypress but jumping down after 2 or 3 seconds.

I switched off all minor modes and found no improvements.
What is the agenda doing when I am moving from item to item?
Follow-mode is off.

I use about 10 org files with a total of 35.000 lines.
The slowness is true for customized agenda views as well as for default ones like "C-a t" (List of all todo entries).

GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2009-11-04 on LENNART-69DE564 (patched)
Org-mode version 7.3 (release_7.3.157.ga98a)

Rainer

* Re: moving in the agenda view is slow
@ 2010-11-26 16:46 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-11-26 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Nov 26, 2010, at 5:26 PM, Rainer Stengele wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am struggling more and more with slowness in my agenda view.
> Moving from line to line with n and p is slow.
> Pressing the n key for 2 seconds will result in the cursor not
> following every keypress but jumping down after 2 or 3 seconds.
>
> I switched off all minor modes and found no improvements.
> What is the agenda doing when I am moving from item to item?
> Follow-mode is off.
>
> I use about 10 org files with a total of 35.000 lines.
> The slowness is true for customized agenda views as well as for
> default ones like "C-a t" (List of all todo entries).

Strange.

One way to find out is to turn on debug on quit, and then press C-g
during the wait and see where it stops, in which function calls.

> GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2009-11-04 on
> LENNART-69DE564 (patched)
> Org-mode version 7.3 (release_7.3.157.ga98a)
>
> Rainer

* org-mode gnus integration across two machines when using nnimap
@ 2010-11-26 18:20   ` Tommy Kelly
From: Tommy Kelly @ 2010-11-26 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: ding

I'm looking for help in running Gnus with nnimap, and org-mode, across
multiple machines.

When reading my email in Gnus (using nnimap off Gmail), I create tasks
from any given message by using orgp-mode's capture feature. A TODO gets
created with a hyperlink that, on clicking, takes me back to the
relevant email in Gnus. That's all cool.

But I'd like to be able to use that setup from multiple machines.

My current setup uses DropBox. It is tolerable for the org-mode side of
things, but fragile. I keep my org files on DropBox, so those are
visible to all machines. But I have to remember to make sure all org
files are saved becore I move from one machine to another. As I say,
tolerable, but fragile.

For the Gnus side, originally I did the same thing, with all the
relevant Gnus files (newsrc's, bbd stuff, etc) being on DropBox too.
But that's even more fragile, because I don't explicitly control the
saving of files.

One option would be to sync only the org-mode files through DropBox, and
just do what I'd do with any other IMAP email client, and rely on the
server side info to keep mutliple clients "in sync". That's
the whole point of IMAP in the first place. But then I'm guessing the
hyperlinking of org-mode tasks to Gnus messages would break (with links
being valid only on the machine where they were created).

Anyone else doing this kind of thing?

Tommy

* Re: org-mode gnus integration across two machines when using nnimap
@ 2010-11-26 18:35     ` Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 2010-11-26 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: ding

Tommy Kelly <tommy.kelly@verilab.com> writes:

> One option would be to sync only the org-mode files through DropBox, and
> just do what I'd do with any other IMAP email client, and rely on the
> server side info to keep mutliple clients "in sync". That's
> the whole point of IMAP in the first place. But then I'm guessing the
> hyperlinking of org-mode tasks to Gnus messages would break (with links
> being valid only on the machine where they were created).

Can you show us what an org-mode hyperlink looks like?  I.e. what
information does it store?  nnimap uses the IMAP server UIDs as article
numbers, so those will be the same for the different instances of Gnus.
So I'm guessing it will work, as long as you give the server the same
name in Gnus on the two machines.

Dan

* Re: org-mode gnus integration across two machines when using nnimap
@ 2010-11-26 18:53       ` Tommy Kelly
From: Tommy Kelly @ 2010-11-26 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: ding

Dan Christensen <jdc@uwo.ca> writes:
> Can you show us what an org-mode hyperlink looks like?

Here's the link to your reply to me:

[[gnus:gmane.emacs.gnus.general#87tyj4x798.fsf@uwo.ca][Email from Dan Christensen: Re: org-mode gnus integration ]]

The [[ ][ ]] combination lets org-mode render it so that you see only
the description portion and it is displayed as a clickable
link. Clicking (or executing C-c C-o) will move you to the message in
Gnus.

The reason I assumed there would be a problem is that even if I simply
*move* a Gnus article from one group to another, that breaks the link. I
got the impression that article labeling is very localized.

@ 2010-11-26 19:40         ` Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 2010-11-26 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: ding

Tommy Kelly <tommy.kelly@verilab.com> writes:

> Here's the link to your reply to me:
>
> [[gnus:gmane.emacs.gnus.general#87tyj4x798.fsf@uwo.ca][Email from Dan Christensen: Re: org-mode gnus integration ]]

Since this stores the group name and the message-id, it should work across
different Gnus sessions.

> The reason I assumed there would be a problem is that even if I simply
> *move* a Gnus article from one group to another, that breaks the
> link.

That makes sense, since the link refers to the group.

I believe the Gnus registry can keep track of the message ID --> group
mapping, so org-mode could use this if the article isn't found in the
expected group and the user has the registry enabled.

I don't use org-mode or the registry, so I'll let others respond if
there are further questions.

Dan

* Re: moving in the agenda view is slow
@ 2010-11-26 20:15 ` Martin Stemplinger
From: Martin Stemplinger @ 2010-11-26 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hallo Rainer Stengele,

am 26.11.2010 schriebst Du:

> Hi all,
>
> I am struggling more and more with slowness in my agenda view.
> Moving from line to line with n and p is slow.
> Pressing the n key for 2 seconds will result in the cursor not following every keypress
> but jumping down after 2 or 3 seconds.
>
> I switched off all minor modes and found no improvements.
> What is the agenda doing when I am moving from item to item?
> Follow-mode is off.
>
> I use about 10 org files with a total of 35.000 lines.
> The slowness is true for customized agenda views as well as for default ones like "C-a t"
> (List of all todo entries).
>
> GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2009-11-04 on LENNART-69DE564 (patched)
> Org-mode version 7.3 (release_7.3.157.ga98a)
>
> Rainer

Maybe it's something completely different but I found org-mode to be
ridicilous slow when the org-files were under git version control. No
idea when this started and why it happened.

HTH
Martin

* Re: moving in the agenda view is slow
@ 2010-11-26 21:28   ` Markus Heller
From: Markus Heller @ 2010-11-26 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Martin Stemplinger <mstemplinger@gmx.de> writes:

> Hallo Rainer Stengele,
>
> am 26.11.2010 schriebst Du:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am struggling more and more with slowness in my agenda view.
>> Moving from line to line with n and p is slow.
>> Pressing the n key for 2 seconds will result in the cursor not following every keypress
>> but jumping down after 2 or 3 seconds.
>>
>> I switched off all minor modes and found no improvements.
>> What is the agenda doing when I am moving from item to item?
>> Follow-mode is off.
>>
>> I use about 10 org files with a total of 35.000 lines.
>> The slowness is true for customized agenda views as well as for default ones like "C-a t"
>> (List of all todo entries).
>>
>> GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2009-11-04 on LENNART-69DE564 (patched)
>> Org-mode version 7.3 (release_7.3.157.ga98a)
>>
>> Rainer
>
> Maybe it's something completely different but I found org-mode to be
> ridicilous slow when the org-files were under git version control. No
> idea when this started and why it happened.

I've had a similar issue.  Somebody here suggested to put the line below
in my .emacs, which helped.  But beware, this disables the vc backend of
emacs completely, so you'll have to run git manually.

Here is the line:

;; no vc-git
(setq vc-handled-backends nil)

HTH
Markus

* Re: moving in the agenda view is slow
@ 2010-11-26 23:04 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-11-26 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele@diplan.de> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I am struggling more and more with slowness in my agenda view.  Moving
> from line to line with n and p is slow.  Pressing the n key for 2
> seconds will result in the cursor not following every keypress but
> jumping down after 2 or 3 seconds.

I'll add that I have observed this the past week or so: there's a very
noticeable pause between my hitting 'n', say, and the cursor moving down
to the next line in a default agenda view (C-c a a).  My agenda files
add up to less than 40k lines.  I've not done any investigation to see
why things have slowed up recently but will start playing around...

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 23.2.1
: using Org-mode version 7.3 (release_7.3.99.g9db0.dirty)

* Re: moving in the agenda view is slow
@ 2010-11-26 23:08   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-11-26 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Rainer Stengele

On Nov 27, 2010, at 12:04 AM, Eric S Fraga wrote:

> Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele@diplan.de> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am struggling more and more with slowness in my agenda view.
>> Moving
>> from line to line with n and p is slow.  Pressing the n key for 2
>> seconds will result in the cursor not following every keypress but
>> jumping down after 2 or 3 seconds.
>
> I'll add that I have observed this the past week or so: there's a very
> noticeable pause between my hitting 'n', say, and the cursor moving
> down
> to the next line in a default agenda view (C-c a a).  My agenda files
> add up to less than 40k lines.  I've not done any investigation to see
> why things have slowed up recently but will start playing around...

Maybe bisect to identify a commit that caused this???

- Carsten

* Re: moving in the agenda view is slow
@ 2010-11-27  2:53   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-11-27  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, nicholas.dokos, Rainer Stengele

Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele@diplan.de> writes:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am struggling more and more with slowness in my agenda view.  Moving
> > from line to line with n and p is slow.  Pressing the n key for 2
> > seconds will result in the cursor not following every keypress but
> > jumping down after 2 or 3 seconds.
>
> I'll add that I have observed this the past week or so: there's a very
> noticeable pause between my hitting 'n', say, and the cursor moving down
> to the next line in a default agenda view (C-c a a).  My agenda files
> add up to less than 40k lines.  I've not done any investigation to see
> why things have slowed up recently but will start playing around...

I don't have this problem at all (perhaps because my agenda files are
puny at less than 5K lines total), but I obtained a profile[fn:1] and
most of the time goes to font-lock stuff. Here are the top five:

font-lock-fontify-region                                      11953       4.5865740000  0.0003837173
font-lock-default-fontify-region                              11953       4.2191050000  0.0003529745
font-lock-fontify-keywords-region                             11953       2.8850690000  0.0002413677
font-lock-extend-jit-lock-region-after-change                 87462       1.4409719999  1.647...e-05
org-agenda-list                                               1           0.461168      0.461168

What does your profile look like?

Thanks,
Nick

Footnotes:
[fn:1] ... by doing

M-x elp-instrument-package <RET> org <RET
C-c a a to get an agenda
a dozen "n"s - N.B. I get instant response here: no delays.
M-x elp-results

* Re: moving in the agenda view is slow
@ 2010-11-27  7:09     ` Manuel Hermenegildo
From: Manuel Hermenegildo @ 2010-11-27  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Rainer Stengele, Eric S Fraga, emacs-orgmode

My impression is that it is indeed at least partially related to
font-lock. I have also observed that (at least on a mac) it is much
worse in emacs 23 than in emacs 22 (to the point where it has made me
swicth back to emacs 22 to make org usable). A recent post suggested
using

(setq font-lock-verbose nil)

which does improve things (by avoiding printing some messages during
font-lock), but it is still slow for me in emacs 23. My org files are
15 or so, around 30K lines each. --Man

Manuel Hermenegildo

* Re: moving in the agenda view is slow
@ 2010-11-27 11:21     ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2010-11-27 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Eric S Fraga, emacs-orgmode

Am 27.11.2010 03:53, schrieb Nick Dokos:
> Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele@diplan.de> writes:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am struggling more and more with slowness in my agenda view.  Moving
>>> from line to line with n and p is slow.  Pressing the n key for 2
>>> seconds will result in the cursor not following every keypress but
>>> jumping down after 2 or 3 seconds.
>> I'll add that I have observed this the past week or so: there's a very
>> noticeable pause between my hitting 'n', say, and the cursor moving down
>> to the next line in a default agenda view (C-c a a).  My agenda files
>> add up to less than 40k lines.  I've not done any investigation to see
>> why things have slowed up recently but will start playing around...
>>
> I don't have this problem at all (perhaps because my agenda files are
> puny at less than 5K lines total), but I obtained a profile[fn:1] and
> most of the time goes to font-lock stuff. Here are the top five:
>
> font-lock-fontify-region                                      11953       4.5865740000  0.0003837173
> font-lock-default-fontify-region                              11953       4.2191050000  0.0003529745
> font-lock-fontify-keywords-region                             11953       2.8850690000  0.0002413677
> font-lock-extend-jit-lock-region-after-change                 87462       1.4409719999  1.647...e-05
> org-agenda-list                                               1           0.461168      0.461168
>
> What does your profile look like?
>
> Thanks,
> Nick
>
> Footnotes:
> [fn:1] ... by doing
>
> M-x elp-instrument-package <RET> org <RET
> C-c a a to get an agenda
> a dozen "n"s - N.B. I get instant response here: no delays.
> M-x elp-results

What I did:
open the agenda view

M-x elp-instrument-package <RET> org <RET
several "n"s - delays are there - same on linux (V23.2.1) and windows emacs
M-x elp-results

org-agenda-next-line                                          79          4.004141      0.0506853291
org-agenda-do-context-action                                  79          0.0013609999  1.722...e-05
org-unhighlight                                               81          0.0009170000  1.132...e-05
org-get-at-bol                                                79          0.000473      5.987...e-06
org-detach-overlay                                            81          0.0002689999  3.320...e-06
org-agenda-post-command-hook                                  81          0.0002449999  3.024...e-06

strange, why do I not get more details?
another try: what I see here and feel when scrolling is that "next-line" is a lot slower than
"previous-line"

org-agenda-next-line                                          35          1.7968589999  0.0513388285
org-agenda-previous-line                                      83          1.0216469999  0.0123089999
org-agenda-do-context-action                                  116         0.0024670000  2.126...e-05
org-unhighlight                                               123         0.0018569999  1.509...e-05
org-get-at-bol                                                116         0.0012020000  1.036...e-05
org-detach-overlay                                            123         0.0004900000  3.983...e-06
org-agenda-post-command-hook                                  123         0.0003940000  3.203...e-06
font-lock-mode                                                1           3.4e-05       3.4e-05
font-lock-default-function                                    1           8e-06         8e-06

@ 2010-11-27 11:22       ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2010-11-27 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manuel Hermenegildo; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode, Eric S Fraga

Am 27.11.2010 08:09, schrieb Manuel Hermenegildo:
> My impression is that it is indeed at least partially related to
> font-lock. I have also observed that (at least on a mac) it is much
> worse in emacs 23 than in emacs 22 (to the point where it has made me
> swicth back to emacs 22 to make org usable). A recent post suggested
> using
>
> (setq font-lock-verbose nil)
>
> which does improve things (by avoiding printing some messages during
> font-lock), but it is still slow for me in emacs 23. My org files are
> 15 or so, around 30K lines each. --Man

that didn't really change the slowness.
Thanks,

@ 2010-11-27 11:31     ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2010-11-27 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Heller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Am 26.11.2010 22:28, schrieb Markus Heller:
> Martin Stemplinger <mstemplinger@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> Hallo Rainer Stengele,
>>
>> am 26.11.2010 schriebst Du:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am struggling more and more with slowness in my agenda view.
>>> Moving from line to line with n and p is slow.
>>> Pressing the n key for 2 seconds will result in the cursor not following every keypress
>>> but jumping down after 2 or 3 seconds.
>>>
>>> I switched off all minor modes and found no improvements.
>>> What is the agenda doing when I am moving from item to item?
>>> Follow-mode is off.
>>>
>>> I use about 10 org files with a total of 35.000 lines.
>>> The slowness is true for customized agenda views as well as for default ones like "C-a t"
>>> (List of all todo entries).
>>>
>>> GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2009-11-04 on LENNART-69DE564 (patched)
>>> Org-mode version 7.3 (release_7.3.157.ga98a)
>>>
>>> Rainer
>>
>> Maybe it's something completely different but I found org-mode to be
>> ridicilous slow when the org-files were under git version control. No
>> idea when this started and why it happened.
>
> I've had a similar issue.  Somebody here suggested to put the line below
> in my .emacs, which helped.  But beware, this disables the vc backend of
> emacs completely, so you'll have to run git manually.
>
> Here is the line:
>
> ;; no vc-git
> (setq vc-handled-backends nil)
>

> HTH
> Markus

ok i tried this, no effect.

@ 2010-11-27 17:00       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-11-27 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode, Eric S Fraga

Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele@diplan.de> wrote:

> What I did:
> open the agenda view
>
> M-x elp-instrument-package <RET> org <RET
> several "n"s - delays are there - same on linux (V23.2.1) and windows emacs
> M-x elp-results
>

> org-agenda-next-line                                          79          4.004141      0.0506853291
> org-agenda-do-context-action                                  79          0.0013609999  1.722...e-05
> org-unhighlight                                               81          0.0009170000  1.132...e-05
> org-get-at-bol                                                79          0.000473      5.987...e-06
> org-detach-overlay                                            81          0.0002689999  3.320...e-06
> org-agenda-post-command-hook                                  81          0.0002449999  3.024...e-06
>
> strange, why do I not get more details?

Why are there 79 calls to org-agenda-next-line? AFAIK, there should be
just one for each "n" pressed. Maybe do M-x elp-reset-all, then press
"n", and M-x elp-results?

The thing is that org-agenda-next-line is very simple:

,----
| (defun org-agenda-next-line ()
|   "Move cursor to the next line, and show if follow mode is active."
|   (interactive)
|   (call-interactively 'next-line)
|   (org-agenda-do-context-action))
`----

and the calls to org-agend-do-context-action don't amount to much, so
essentially all of the time must be spent in the (call-interactively
'next-line).

Maybe M-x elp-instrument-function <RET> next-line <RET> will give some
more clues.  I assume call-interactively cannot be instrumented by elp
since it's in C.

Nick

* Re: moving in the agenda view is slow
@ 2010-11-27 18:25         ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2010-11-27 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Eric S Fraga, Rainer Stengele

Am 27.11.2010 18:00, schrieb Nick Dokos:
> Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele@diplan.de> wrote:
>
>> What I did:
>> open the agenda view
>>
>> M-x elp-instrument-package <RET> org <RET
>> several "n"s - delays are there - same on linux (V23.2.1) and windows emacs
>> M-x elp-results
>>

>> org-agenda-next-line                                          79          4.004141      0.0506853291
>> org-agenda-do-context-action                                  79          0.0013609999  1.722...e-05
>> org-unhighlight                                               81          0.0009170000  1.132...e-05
>> org-get-at-bol                                                79          0.000473      5.987...e-06
>> org-detach-overlay                                            81          0.0002689999  3.320...e-06
>> org-agenda-post-command-hook                                  81          0.0002449999  3.024...e-06
>>
>> strange, why do I not get more details?
>
> Why are there 79 calls to org-agenda-next-line? AFAIK, there should be
> just one for each "n" pressed. Maybe do M-x elp-reset-all, then press
> "n", and M-x elp-results?
>
> The thing is that org-agenda-next-line is very simple:
>
> ,----
> | (defun org-agenda-next-line ()
> |   "Move cursor to the next line, and show if follow mode is active."
> |   (interactive)
> |   (call-interactively 'next-line)
> |   (org-agenda-do-context-action))
> `----
>
> and the calls to org-agend-do-context-action don't amount to much, so
> essentially all of the time must be spent in the (call-interactively
> 'next-line).
>
> Maybe M-x elp-instrument-function <RET> next-line <RET> will give some
> more clues.  I assume call-interactively cannot be instrumented by elp
> since it's in C.
>
> Nick

Nick, elp-reset-all does not work.
Reason for "42" calls is I simply leave my finger on the key for a while
... just to see the result more clear:

org-agenda-next-line                                          42
  2.837738      0.0675651904
org-agenda-do-context-action                                  42
  0.000735      1.75e-05
org-unhighlight                                               44
  0.0004940000  1.122...e-05
org-get-at-bol                                                42
  0.0002630000  6.261...e-06
org-detach-overlay                                            44
  0.0001410000  3.204...e-06
org-agenda-post-command-hook                                  44
  0.0001320000  3.000...e-06

@ 2010-11-27 19:23           ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-11-27 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele
  Cc: emacs-orgmode, nicholas.dokos, Rainer Stengele, Eric S Fraga

Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele@online.de> wrote:

> Nick, elp-reset-all does not work.

Some more detail would be helpful: in what way does it not work?

If I do

M-x elp-reset-all
M-x elp-results

I get a blank slate. Then I can press 10 "n", and do M-x elp-results
and get

org-agenda-list                                               1           0.542113      0.542113
org-agenda-get-day-entries                                    105         0.2963639999  0.0028225142
org-agenda-get-scheduled                                      105         0.1733859999  0.0016512952
org-agenda-files                                              3           0.163354      0.0544513333
org-time-string-to-absolute                                   833         0.1295979999  0.0001555798
org-parse-time-string                                         847         0.1100739999  0.0001299574
org-prepare-agenda                                            1           0.055021      0.055021
org-agenda-get-timestamps                                     105         0.0506039999  0.0004819428
org-prepare-agenda-buffers                                    1           0.049225      0.049225
org-refresh-category-properties                               15          0.030431      0.0020287333
org-agenda-get-sexps                                          105         0.02591       0.0002467619
org-agenda-get-deadlines                                      105         0.0178420000  0.0001699238
org-diary-sexp-entry                                          14          0.0136680000  0.0009762857
org-agenda-get-blocks                                         105         0.0129850000  0.0001236666
org-agenda-next-line                                          10          0.0122370000  0.0012237
org-closest-date                                              196         0.0108019999  5.511...e-05
org-finalize-agenda                                           1           0.009044      0.009044
org-up-heading-safe                                           95          0.0086909999  9.148...e-05
org-agenda-do-context-action                                  10          0.008677      0.0008677000
org-display-outline-path                                      10          0.007925      0.0007925

reflecting the stats from the last reset onwards. What do you get?

> Reason for "42" calls is I simply leave my finger on the key for a while
> ... just to see the result more clear:

Hmm, I'd prefer a more controlled experiment: it would be better to
press it say 10 times discretely. I wonder also if crossing from one
date to the next affects things (in my case, it does not).

> org-agenda-next-line                                          42
>   2.837738      0.0675651904

Be that as it may, you get 67.5ms per call to org-agenda-next-line
and I get 1.22ms, roughly a factor of  50.

Can you do M-x elp-instrument-function <RET> next-line <RET> and
get another profile?

Thanks,
Nick

* Re: moving in the agenda view is slow
@ 2010-11-27 21:11             ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2010-11-27 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Rainer Stengele, Eric S Fraga, emacs-orgmode

Am 27.11.2010 20:23, schrieb Nick Dokos:
> [...]
> org-agenda-do-context-action                                  10          0.008677      0.0008677000
> org-display-outline-path                                      10          0.007925      0.0007925
>
> reflecting the stats from the last reset onwards. What do you get?
>
>> Reason for "42" calls is I simply leave my finger on the key for a while
>> ... just to see the result more clear:
>
> Hmm, I'd prefer a more controlled experiment: it would be better to
> press it say 10 times discretely. I wonder also if crossing from one
> date to the next affects things (in my case, it does not).
>

>> org-agenda-next-line                                          42
>>   2.837738      0.0675651904
>
> Be that as it may, you get 67.5ms per call to org-agenda-next-line
> and I get 1.22ms, roughly a factor of  50.
>
> Can you do M-x elp-instrument-function <RET> next-line <RET> and

ok, I did, getting

org-agenda-next-line                                          10
  0.864912      0.0864912
org-unhighlight                                               14
  0.0008759999  6.257...e-05
org-detach-overlay                                            14
  0.0006229999  4.449...e-05
org-agenda-do-context-action                                  10
  0.000274      2.74e-05
org-get-at-bol                                                10
  9.400...e-05  9.400...e-06
org-agenda-post-command-hook                                  14
  7.5e-05       5.357...e-06

for 10 "next-lines", all in the agenda block of

Monday     29 November 2010 W48

which means there is no date crossing.
What can I do to detail org-agenda-next-line?

What can I do

Rainer

* Re: Re: moving in the agenda view is slow
@ 2010-11-28  0:30               ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-11-28  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele
  Cc: emacs-orgmode, nicholas.dokos, Rainer Stengele, Eric S Fraga

Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele@online.de> wrote:

> Am 27.11.2010 20:23, schrieb Nick Dokos:
> > Can you do M-x elp-instrument-function <RET> next-line <RET> and
> > get another profile?
> >

> ok, I did, getting
>
> org-agenda-next-line                                          10
>   0.864912      0.0864912
> org-unhighlight                                               14
>   0.0008759999  6.257...e-05
> org-detach-overlay                                            14
>   0.0006229999  4.449...e-05
> org-agenda-do-context-action                                  10
>   0.000274      2.74e-05
> org-get-at-bol                                                10
>   9.400...e-05  9.400...e-06
> org-agenda-post-command-hook                                  14
>   7.5e-05       5.357...e-06
>
> for 10 "next-lines", all in the agenda block of
>
> Monday     29 November 2010 W48
>
> which means there is no date crossing.
> What can I do to detail org-agenda-next-line?

Apparently, you didn't read my mail carefully enough: see above.

Nick

* Re: moving in the agenda view is slow
@ 2010-11-28 17:37               ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-11-28 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: Rainer Stengele, nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

I generate results for a number (looks like 99 times from the results)
of 'n' moves through my agenda, including going through a few days from
today forwards.  I get the following:

,----
| org-agenda-later                     4           2.319228      0.579807
| org-agenda-redo                      4           2.319001      0.57975025
| org-agenda-list                      5           1.907568      0.3815136
| org-agenda-get-day-entries           99          1.7082340000  0.0172548888
| org-agenda-to-appt                   4           1.170569      0.29264225
| org-agenda                           1           1.161838      1.161838
| org-let                              4           1.145839      0.28645975
| org-agenda-get-scheduled             99          0.8759350000  0.0088478282
| org-prepare-agenda                   5           0.8665130000  0.1733026000
| org-prepare-agenda-buffers           9           0.721267      0.0801407777
| org-agenda-next-line                 129         0.6453539999  0.0050027441
`----

Now, this is on my home system on which the response is actually
perfectly fine!  It is on my work system where the response is slow so I
will repeat this on Tuesday if I get a chance.  My home machine is
actually slower than my office system *but* my office system is using a
less effective X window system graphics driver so the current view that
font-locking may have something to do with the problem could be
consistent with this.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 23.2.1
: using Org-mode version 7.3 (release_7.3.148.gc3b7e)

* Re: Re: moving in the agenda view is slow
@ 2010-11-28 18:38                 ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2010-11-28 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Eric S Fraga, Rainer Stengele

Am 28.11.2010 01:30, schrieb Nick Dokos:
> Rainer Stengele<rainer.stengele@online.de>  wrote:
>
>> Am 27.11.2010 20:23, schrieb Nick Dokos:
>>> Can you do M-x elp-instrument-function<RET>  next-line<RET>  and
>>> get another profile?
>>>
>> ok, I did, getting
>>
>> org-agenda-next-line                                          10
>>    0.864912      0.0864912
>> org-unhighlight                                               14
>>    0.0008759999  6.257...e-05
>> org-detach-overlay                                            14
>>    0.0006229999  4.449...e-05
>> org-agenda-do-context-action                                  10
>>    0.000274      2.74e-05
>> org-get-at-bol                                                10
>>    9.400...e-05  9.400...e-06
>> org-agenda-post-command-hook                                  14
>>    7.5e-05       5.357...e-06
>>
>> for 10 "next-lines", all in the agenda block of
>>
>> Monday     29 November 2010 W48
>>
>> which means there is no date crossing.
>> What can I do to detail org-agenda-next-line?
>>
> Apparently, you didn't read my mail carefully enough: see above.
>
> Nick
Nick,

sorry if I misunderstand, I tried again and get this:

which probably is not what we expect to see?
What I do is:
being in the agenda I enter
M-x elp-instrument-function <RET> next-line <RET>
then enter "n" once and get:

next-line      1           0.016         0.016

Thats really all I get.  No more line than this one.

@ 2010-11-28 19:29                 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-11-28 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga
  Cc: Rainer Stengele, Rainer Stengele, emacs-orgmode, nicholas.dokos

Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> I generate results for a number (looks like 99 times from the results)

Looks like 129 times from the results below.

> of 'n' moves through my agenda, including going through a few days from
> today forwards.  I get the following:
>
> ,----
> | org-agenda-later                     4           2.319228      0.579807
> | org-agenda-redo                      4           2.319001      0.57975025
> | org-agenda-list                      5           1.907568      0.3815136
> | org-agenda-get-day-entries           99          1.7082340000  0.0172548888
> | org-agenda-to-appt                   4           1.170569      0.29264225
> | org-agenda                           1           1.161838      1.161838
> | org-let                              4           1.145839      0.28645975
> | org-agenda-get-scheduled             99          0.8759350000  0.0088478282
> | org-prepare-agenda                   5           0.8665130000  0.1733026000
> | org-prepare-agenda-buffers           9           0.721267      0.0801407777
> | org-agenda-next-line                 129         0.6453539999  0.0050027441
> `----

Are you leaning on the "n" key? It's probably better to press it a given
number of times instead. Or is it the case that the delay you and Rainer
see *only* exhibits itself on auto-repeat? If the latter, then it might
very well be the case that X is the culprit (or the emacs display engine
or who knows what else).

The org-agenda-next-line time per call is about 4x what I get on my
system (where I have not seen the problem), so I assume that you will
also probably get the 50x (or so) slowdown on your office system that
Rainer got.

> Now, this is on my home system on which the response is actually
> perfectly fine!  It is on my work system where the response is slow so I
> will repeat this on Tuesday if I get a chance.  My home machine is
> actually slower than my office system *but* my office system is using a
> less effective X window system graphics driver so the current view that
> font-locking may have something to do with the problem could be
> consistent with this.

Actually, I'm not sure it has anything to do with font-lock: I got some
font-lock results in my initial profile (for unknown reasons - I hadn't
added font-lock to the elp list afaik, but I may have done something
stupid), and Manuel Hermenegildo chimed in with a problem that he has
had for a while: there is a suspected font-lock connection there and
Manuel posted a workaround for this problem[fn:1], but afaik this
problem is not related to that one.

The main thing to check in this problem case is whether the time that
org-agenda-next-line takes is roughly the same as the time that
next-line itself takes. There is somewhat indirect evidence that that is
the case, but we need to make sure. I asked Rainer to add next-line to
the elp list with M-x elp-instrument-function <RET> next-line <RET>, but
I haven't heard any results yet.

Thanks,
Nick

Footnotes:
[fn:1] I don't remember who posted the workaround originally and haven't
gone back to check.

* Re: moving in the agenda view is slow
@ 2010-11-28 19:40                   ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2010-11-28 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Eric S Fraga, Rainer Stengele

Am 28.11.2010 20:29, schrieb Nick Dokos:
> [...]
> stupid), and Manuel Hermenegildo chimed in with a problem that he has
> had for a while: there is a suspected font-lock connection there and
> Manuel posted a workaround for this problem[fn:1], but afaik this
> problem is not related to that one.
>
> The main thing to check in this problem case is whether the time that
> org-agenda-next-line takes is roughly the same as the time that
> next-line itself takes. There is somewhat indirect evidence that that is
> the case, but we need to make sure. I asked Rainer to add next-line to
> the elp list with M-x elp-instrument-function<RET>  next-line<RET>, but
> I haven't heard any results yet.
>
> Thanks,
> Nick
>
> Footnotes:
> [fn:1] I don't remember who posted the workaround originally and haven't

Nick,

I tried with pressing "n" step by step 10 times, so no leaning on the "n" key:

org-agenda-next-line                                          10          0.3139999999  0.0314
next-line                                                     10          0.3139999999  0.0314
org-detach-overlay                                            12          0.0           0.0
org-agenda-post-command-hook                                  12          0.0           0.0
org-agenda-do-context-action                                  10          0.0           0.0
org-get-at-bol                                                10          0.0           0.0
org-unhighlight                                               12          0.0           0.0
font-lock-mode                                                1           0.0           0.0
font-lock-default-function                                    1           0.0           0.0

I see no change. Emacs is on Windows XP.

Rainer

* Re: Re: moving in the agenda view is slow
@ 2010-11-28 20:01                   ` Nick Dokos
                                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-11-28 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele
  Cc: emacs-orgmode, nicholas.dokos, Rainer Stengele, Eric S Fraga

Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele@online.de> wrote:

> Am 28.11.2010 01:30, schrieb Nick Dokos:
> > Rainer Stengele<rainer.stengele@online.de>  wrote:

> >> ok, I did, getting
> >>
> >> org-agenda-next-line                                          10
> >>    0.864912      0.0864912
> >> org-unhighlight                                               14
> >>    0.0008759999  6.257...e-05
> >> org-detach-overlay                                            14
> >>    0.0006229999  4.449...e-05
> >> org-agenda-do-context-action                                  10
> >>    0.000274      2.74e-05
> >> org-get-at-bol                                                10
> >>    9.400...e-05  9.400...e-06
> >> org-agenda-post-command-hook                                  14
> >>    7.5e-05       5.357...e-06
> >>
> >> for 10 "next-lines", all in the agenda block of
> >>
> >> Monday     29 November 2010 W48
> >>
> >> which means there is no date crossing.
> >> What can I do to detail org-agenda-next-line?
> >>
> > Apparently, you didn't read my mail carefully enough: see above.
> >
> > Nick
> Nick,
>
> sorry if I misunderstand, I tried again and get this:
>
> which probably is not what we expect to see?
> What I do is:
> being in the agenda I enter
> M-x elp-instrument-function <RET> next-line <RET>
> then enter "n" once and get:
>
> next-line      1           0.016         0.016
>
> Thats really all I get.  No more line than this one.

I just tried the following sequence:

o Start a new emacs
o M-x elp-instrument-package <RET> org <RET>
o M-x elp-instrument-function <RET> next-line <RET>
o C-c a a to get an agenda
o M-x elp-reset-all
o Press "n" 11 times (I just went over all the items for today).
o M-x elp-results

and I get the following results:

org-agenda-next-line                                          11          0.0126380000  0.0011489090
org-agenda-do-context-action                                  11          0.0073120000  0.0006647272
org-display-outline-path                                      10          0.006614      0.0006614
next-line                                                     11          0.005075      0.0004613636
org-get-outline-path                                          10          0.0028759999  0.0002875999
org-up-heading-safe                                           20          0.0023870000  0.0001193500
org-back-to-heading                                           20          0.000652      3.26e-05
org-format-outline-path                                       10          0.0003160000  3.16e-05
org-unhighlight                                               12          0.00023       1.916...e-05
org-outline-level                                             30          0.0001790000  5.966...e-06
org-add-props                                                 10          7.199...e-05  7.199...e-06
org-get-at-bol                                                11          6e-05         5.454...e-06
org-detach-overlay                                            12          5.600...e-05  4.666...e-06
org-agenda-post-command-hook                                  12          4.199...e-05  3.499...e-06

Can you try this and let me know if it's not working the same way?

Thanks,
Nick

PS Incidentally, note that in my case the next-line times account for
about 40% of the org-agenda-next-line times: the other 60% is accounted
for by org-agenda-do-context-action. In your original profile, the latter
was insignificant: that's why I'd like to see the next-line results.

* Re: Re: moving in the agenda view is slow
@ 2010-11-28 20:17                     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-11-28 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Rainer Stengele, Rainer Stengele, emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

[...]

> I just tried the following sequence:
>
> o Start a new emacs
> o M-x elp-instrument-package <RET> org <RET>
> o M-x elp-instrument-function <RET> next-line <RET>
> o C-c a a to get an agenda
> o M-x elp-reset-all
> o Press "n" 11 times (I just went over all the items for today).
> o M-x elp-results
>
> and I get the following results:
>
> org-agenda-next-line                 11          0.0126380000  0.0011489090
> org-agenda-do-context-action         11          0.0073120000  0.0006647272
> org-display-outline-path             10          0.006614      0.0006614
> next-line                            11          0.005075      0.0004613636
> org-get-outline-path                 10          0.0028759999  0.0002875999
> org-up-heading-safe                  20          0.0023870000  0.0001193500
> org-back-to-heading                  20          0.000652      3.26e-05
> org-format-outline-path              10          0.0003160000  3.16e-05
> org-unhighlight                      12          0.00023       1.916...e-05
> org-outline-level                    30          0.0001790000  5.966...e-06
> org-add-props                        10          7.199...e-05  7.199...e-06
> org-get-at-bol                       11          6e-05         5.454...e-06
> org-detach-overlay                   12          5.600...e-05  4.666...e-06
> org-agenda-post-command-hook         12          4.199...e-05  3.499...e-06
>
> Can you try this and let me know if it's not working the same way?

Okay, here are mine for 11 presses of the n command:

org-agenda-next-line                 11          0.063334      0.0057576363
next-line                            11          0.033         0.003
org-agenda-do-context-action         11          0.0301619999  0.0027419999
org-display-outline-path             11          0.029602      0.0026910909
org-get-outline-path                 11          0.0232590000  0.0021144545
org-up-heading-safe                  44          0.0222319999  0.0005052727
org-back-to-heading                  44          0.0007169999  1.629...e-05
org-format-outline-path              11          0.0004849999  4.409...e-05
org-outline-level                    77          0.0004790000  6.220...e-06
org-unhighlight                      15          0.0001899999  1.266...e-05
org-add-props                        33          9.399...e-05  2.848...e-06
org-agenda-post-command-hook         15          4.499...e-05  2.999...e-06
org-get-at-bol                       11          3.9e-05       3.545...e-06
org-detach-overlay                   15          3.4e-05       2.266...e-06

I'm not sure what conclusions to draw from here (but, again, this is on
my home system which seems much faster than my office system despite
being a slower computer with less memory etc).

> PS Incidentally, note that in my case the next-line times account for
> about 40% of the org-agenda-next-line times: the other 60% is accounted
> for by org-agenda-do-context-action. In your original profile, the latter
> was insignificant: that's why I'd like to see the next-line results.

And in mine, next-line is >50% of the time with the remainder being
org-agenda-do-context-action.  What does this mean?

In any case, I will try all of this on Tuesday on my office system.

--

@ 2010-11-28 21:32                     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-11-28 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele
  Cc: emacs-orgmode, nicholas.dokos, Rainer Stengele, Eric S Fraga

Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele@diplan.de> wrote:

> I tried with pressing "n" step by step 10 times, so no leaning on the "n" key:
>
> org-agenda-next-line                                          10          0.3139999999  0.0314
> next-line                                                     10          0.3139999999  0.0314
> org-detach-overlay                                            12          0.0           0.0
> org-agenda-post-command-hook                                  12          0.0           0.0
> org-agenda-do-context-action                                  10          0.0           0.0
> org-get-at-bol                                                10          0.0           0.0
> org-unhighlight                                               12          0.0           0.0
> font-lock-mode                                                1           0.0           0.0
> font-lock-default-function                                    1           0.0           0.0
>

> I see no change. Emacs is on Windows XP.

OK - next-line is indeed taking up all the time (but the exact equality
and the 0.0 times make me wonder about the clock resolution on this
platform and how reliable elp is here), so, unless there is some
backdoor connection, these delays have nothing to do with org - it's
emacs itself which is slow: 31ms per call is not as slow as it was
yesterday, but it's still 25x what I see.

Eric, do you encounter this problem on Emacs/Windows XP as well? Has
anybody encountered this problem on anything *but* Emacs/Windows XP?

Rainer, if you'd like to continue the exercise, maybe the thing to do is
to profile functions that next-line calls and get another profile. The
only other function that seems likely to take up time is line-move, so
you might proceed like this:

Set up a minimal emacs so that you don't have to retype everything
over and over. Something like the following, where I assume you use
org-install to initialize org - you'll also have to change the load-path
and the list of org-agenda-files to suit your situation:

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp/org-mode/lisp")
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.\\(org\\|org_archive\\|txt\\)$" . org-mode))
(require 'org-install)
(require 'org-agenda)
(global-set-key "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
(global-set-key "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
(global-set-key "\C-cr" 'elp-results)

(elp-instrument-list '(org-agenda-next-line next-line line-move))
(setq org-agenda-files '("~/lib/org/work.org" "~/lib/org/home.org"))
(org-agenda-list)
(elp-reset-all)

Save it in a file called minimal.emacs and then say

     emacs -Q --load minimal.emacs

You should get an agenda - press "n" a dozen times, and then C-c r
to get the results. You can add more functions to the list above
(the next few candidates are line-move-partial, line-move-visual,
line-move-1). Assuming that you get consistent results implicating
these, I suspect that the thing to do is to post your findings in
an emacs forum or open an emacs bug report.

I haven't gone back to check your original emails, but is there
a particular version of emacs that exhibits this problem? Is there
a version that does *not* exhibit it? When exactly did you start
noticing this behavior (relative to emacs updates etc)?

Thanks,
Nick

* Re: moving in the agenda view is slow
@ 2010-11-28 21:41                     ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2010-11-28 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Rainer Stengele, Eric S Fraga, emacs-orgmode

Am 28.11.2010 21:01, schrieb Nick Dokos:
> Rainer Stengele<rainer.stengele@online.de>  wrote:

>>> Apparently, you didn't read my mail carefully enough: see above.
>>>
>>> Nick
>> Nick,
>>
>> sorry if I misunderstand, I tried again and get this:
>>
>> which probably is not what we expect to see?
>> What I do is:
>> being in the agenda I enter
>> M-x elp-instrument-function<RET>  next-line<RET>
>> then enter "n" once and get:
>>
>> next-line      1           0.016         0.016
>>
>> Thats really all I get.  No more line than this one.
>>

> I just tried the following sequence:

> o Start a new emacs
> o M-x elp-instrument-package<RET>  org<RET>
> o M-x elp-instrument-function<RET>  next-line<RET>
> o C-c a a to get an agenda
> o M-x elp-reset-all
> o Press "n" 11 times (I just went over all the items for today).
> o M-x elp-results
>
> and I get the following results:

> org-agenda-next-line                                          11          0.0126380000  0.0011489090
> org-agenda-do-context-action                                  11          0.0073120000  0.0006647272
> org-display-outline-path                                      10          0.006614      0.0006614
> next-line                                                     11          0.005075      0.0004613636
> org-get-outline-path                                          10          0.0028759999  0.0002875999
> org-up-heading-safe                                           20          0.0023870000  0.0001193500
> org-back-to-heading                                           20          0.000652      3.26e-05
> org-format-outline-path                                       10          0.0003160000  3.16e-05
> org-unhighlight                                               12          0.00023       1.916...e-05
> org-outline-level                                             30          0.0001790000  5.966...e-06
> org-add-props                                                 10          7.199...e-05  7.199...e-06
> org-get-at-bol                                                11          6e-05         5.454...e-06
> org-detach-overlay                                            12          5.600...e-05  4.666...e-06
> org-agenda-post-command-hook                                  12          4.199...e-05  3.499...e-06
>
> Can you try this and let me know if it's not working the same way?
>
> Thanks,
> Nick
>
> PS Incidentally, note that in my case the next-line times account for
> about 40% of the org-agenda-next-line times: the other 60% is accounted
> for by org-agenda-do-context-action. In your original profile, the latter
> was insignificant: that's why I'd like to see the next-line results.

I did exactly what you wrote and got this:

org-agenda-next-line                                          11          0.1560000000  0.0141818181
next-line                                                     11          0.1560000000  0.0141818181
org-detach-overlay                                            13          0.0           0.0
org-agenda-post-command-hook                                  13          0.0           0.0
org-agenda-do-context-action                                  11          0.0           0.0
org-get-at-bol                                                11          0.0           0.0
org-unhighlight                                               13          0.0           0.0

@ 2010-11-28 22:11                       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-11-28 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga
  Cc: emacs-orgmode, Rainer Stengele, nicholas.dokos, Rainer Stengele

Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> Okay, here are mine for 11 presses of the n command:

> org-agenda-next-line                 11          0.063334      0.0057576363
> next-line                            11          0.033         0.003
> org-agenda-do-context-action         11          0.0301619999  0.0027419999
> org-display-outline-path             11          0.029602      0.0026910909
> org-get-outline-path                 11          0.0232590000  0.0021144545
> org-up-heading-safe                  44          0.0222319999  0.0005052727
> org-back-to-heading                  44          0.0007169999  1.629...e-05
> org-format-outline-path              11          0.0004849999  4.409...e-05
> org-outline-level                    77          0.0004790000  6.220...e-06
> org-unhighlight                      15          0.0001899999  1.266...e-05
> org-add-props                        33          9.399...e-05  2.848...e-06
> org-agenda-post-command-hook         15          4.499...e-05  2.999...e-06
> org-get-at-bol                       11          3.9e-05       3.545...e-06
> org-detach-overlay                   15          3.4e-05       2.266...e-06
>
> I'm not sure what conclusions to draw from here (but, again, this is on
> my home system which seems much faster than my office system despite
> being a slower computer with less memory etc).
>
> > PS Incidentally, note that in my case the next-line times account for
> > about 40% of the org-agenda-next-line times: the other 60% is accounted
> > for by org-agenda-do-context-action. In your original profile, the latter
> > was insignificant: that's why I'd like to see the next-line results.
>
> And in mine, next-line is >50% of the time with the remainder being
> org-agenda-do-context-action.  What does this mean?

It's qualitatively different from Rainer's original profile.
org-agenda-next-line calls next-line and then
org-agenda-do-context-action.  In Rainer's profile, the latter took
almost no time, whereas in your faster system and also in mine, there is
a roughly 50/50 (or 40/60) split. In Rainer's later profiles, it's a
100/0 split.  That, along with the fact that the whole thing takes much
longer (somewhere from 10x to 50x[fn:1]) leads to the conclusion that
probably something is busted in next-line. So it doesn't mean much: just
gathering sticks for now and maybe we can build a house with them (then
again, maybe not).

> In any case, I will try all of this on Tuesday on my office system.

I'd be very interested to learn what you find out.

Thanks,
Nick

Footnotes:
[fn:1] this kind of variance bothers me, but I guess I'll have to live with it.

* Re: moving in the agenda view is slow
@ 2010-11-28 22:12                       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-11-28 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Rainer Stengele

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

[...]

> Eric, do you encounter this problem on Emacs/Windows XP as well? Has
> anybody encountered this problem on anything *but* Emacs/Windows XP?

All my systems run Linux (Debian testing+unstable mix) so it's not the
OS.

--

@ 2010-11-28 22:31                         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-11-28 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: Rainer Stengele, nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > Eric, do you encounter this problem on Emacs/Windows XP as well? Has
> > anybody encountered this problem on anything *but* Emacs/Windows XP?
>
> All my systems run Linux (Debian testing+unstable mix) so it's not the
> OS.

OK, thanks. It also eliminates the window system (unless Rainer is running
X on Windows), so it looks like an emacs problem.

Nick

* Re: Re: moving in the agenda view is slow
@ 2010-11-29  8:53                           ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2010-11-29  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Eric S Fraga, emacs-orgmode

Am 28.11.2010 23:31, schrieb Nick Dokos:
> Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> Eric, do you encounter this problem on Emacs/Windows XP as well? Has
>>> anybody encountered this problem on anything *but* Emacs/Windows XP?
>> All my systems run Linux (Debian testing+unstable mix) so it's not the
>> OS.
>>
> OK, thanks. It also eliminates the window system (unless Rainer is running
> X on Windows), so it looks like an emacs problem.
>
> Nick
No, I am running Windows XP, native Windows Emacs "GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2009-11-04 on LENNART-69DE564 (patched)"

@ 2010-11-29 10:51                       ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2010-11-29 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Eric S Fraga, Rainer Stengele

Am 28.11.2010 22:32, schrieb Nick Dokos:
> [...]
> (setq org-agenda-files '("~/lib/org/work.org" "~/lib/org/home.org"))
> (org-agenda-list)
> (elp-reset-all)
>
> Save it in a file called minimal.emacs and then say
>
>      emacs -Q --load minimal.emacs
>
> You should get an agenda - press "n" a dozen times, and then C-c r
> to get the results. You can add more functions to the list above
> (the next few candidates are line-move-partial, line-move-visual,
> line-move-1). Assuming that you get consistent results implicating
> these, I suspect that the thing to do is to post your findings in
> an emacs forum or open an emacs bug report.
>
> I haven't gone back to check your original emails, but is there
> a particular version of emacs that exhibits this problem? Is there
> a version that does *not* exhibit it? When exactly did you start
> noticing this behavior (relative to emacs updates etc)?

Continuing the exercice I found:

(elp-instrument-list '(org-agenda-next-line next-line line-move)) results in

org-agenda-next-line  12          0.016         0.0013333333
next-line             12          0.0           0.0
line-move             12          0.0           0.0

(elp-instrument-list '(org-agenda-next-line next-line line-move line-move-partial line-move-visual line-move-1)) results in

org-agenda-next-line  12          0.015         0.00125
next-line             12          0.0           0.0
line-move             12          0.0           0.0
line-move-partial     12          0.0           0.0
line-move-1           12          0.0           0.0

changing to agenda month view and "n"-ing through all entries results in:

org-agenda-next-line  93          0.2180000000  0.0023440860
next-line             93          0.016         0.0001720430
line-move             93          0.0           0.0
line-move-partial     93          0.0           0.0
line-move-1           93          0.0           0.0

further, after elp-instrument-package RET org RET (and doing lots of "n"s and "p"s)

org-agenda-do-context-action                                  445         1.5169999999  0.0034089887
org-display-outline-path                                      428         1.4699999999  0.0034345794
org-get-outline-path                                          428         1.1270000000  0.0026331775
org-up-heading-safe                                           1932        1.0960000000  0.0005672877
org-agenda-next-line                                          224         0.9700000000  0.0043303571
org-agenda-previous-line                                      221         0.8540000000  0.0038642533
line-move                                                     445         0.3070000000  0.0006898876
next-line                                                     224         0.2160000000  0.0009642857
line-move-1                                                   445         0.1980000000  0.0004449438
line-move-partial                                             445         0.109         0.0002449438
org-format-outline-path                                       428         0.078         0.0001822429
org-outline-level                                             3436        0.061         1.77...e-005
org-back-to-heading                                           1932        0.016         8.28...e-006
org-detach-overlay                                            447         0.0           0.0
org-agenda-post-command-hook                                  447         0.0           0.0
org-add-props                                                 1504        0.0           0.0
org-get-at-bol                                                445         0.0           0.0
org-unhighlight                                               447         0.0           0.0

after disabling the showing of the outline path in agenda views:

line-move                                                     430         0.1890000000  0.0004395348
line-move-1                                                   430         0.1730000000  0.0004023255
org-agenda-previous-line                                      214         0.1560000000  0.0007289719
org-agenda-next-line                                          216         0.095         0.0004398148
next-line                                                     216         0.048         0.0002222222
org-agenda-do-context-action                                  430         0.047         0.0001093023
org-detach-overlay                                            431         0.015         3.48...e-005
org-unhighlight                                               431         0.015         3.48...e-005
line-move-partial                                             430         0.0           0.0
org-agenda-post-command-hook                                  431         0.0           0.0
org-get-at-bol                                                430         0.0           0.0

scrolling with "n" and "p" runs smoothly now! Sigh! That means the slowness is connected to my .emacs and org settings!?
I'am afraid I have to go through all the settings and find the culprit.

Rainer

[-- Attachment #2: rainer_stengele.vcf --]

begin:vcard
fn:Rainer Stengele
n:Stengele;Rainer
email;internet:rainer.stengele@online.de
tel;work:+49(0)9131777885
tel;cell:+49(0)17612777885
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1
end:vcard

* Re: Re: moving in the agenda view is slow
@ 2010-11-29 15:56                         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-11-29 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele
  Cc: Rainer Stengele, nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode, Eric S Fraga

Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele@online.de> wrote:

> scrolling with "n" and "p" runs smoothly now! Sigh! That means the
> slowness is connected to my .emacs and org settings!?  I'am afraid I
> have to go through all the settings and find the culprit.

Great! That's real progress: in one fell swoop, you have eliminated
99.99% of the code that could be the culprit :-) However, it's not
clear to me that it's your org settings: if the next-line sluggishness
is real, then it's something in the emacs setup that causes it (again,
unless there is some hidden connection back to org that I know nothing
about).

Nick

* Re: moving in the agenda view is slow
@ 2010-11-29 16:15                         ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-11-29 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Rainer,

Rainer Stengele wrote:
> after disabling the showing of the outline path in agenda views:
>
> line-move                                                     430         0.1890000000  0.0004395348
> line-move-1                                                   430         0.1730000000  0.0004023255
> org-agenda-previous-line                                      214         0.1560000000  0.0007289719
> org-agenda-next-line                                          216         0.095         0.0004398148
> next-line                                                     216         0.048         0.0002222222
> org-agenda-do-context-action                                  430         0.047         0.0001093023
> org-detach-overlay                                            431         0.015         3.48...e-005
> org-unhighlight                                               431         0.015         3.48...e-005
> line-move-partial                                             430         0.0           0.0
> org-agenda-post-command-hook                                  431         0.0           0.0
> org-get-at-bol                                                430         0.0           0.0
>
> scrolling with "n" and "p" runs smoothly now! Sigh! That means the slowness
> is connected to my .emacs and org settings!? I'am afraid I have to go
> through all the settings and find the culprit.

What do you exactly mean by: "disabling the showing of the outline path in agenda
views"?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: Re: moving in the agenda view is slow
@ 2010-11-30 12:28                       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-11-30 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Rainer Stengele, emacs-orgmode

Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

[...]

> In any case, I will try all of this on Tuesday on my office system.

Well, I've tried it and I get essentially the same results as I did on
my home system.  The behaviour that I observed last week seems to have
disappeared.  Although the change in behaviour could be due to org
changing, I think it's actually my X window system driver which was
acting up last week and it could have been causing problems with the
font server...  I'll re-run the timings if and when the slow behaviour
appears again.

In summary, moving within the agenda window is now as it used to be:
fast!

--

@ 2010-11-30 12:30                           ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-11-30 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:

> Hi Rainer,
>
> Rainer Stengele wrote:
>> after disabling the showing of the outline path in agenda views:

[...]

> What do you exactly mean by: "disabling the showing of the outline path in agenda
> views"?
>
> Best regards,
>   Seb

I think he means the display that appears in the mini-buffer showing the
headline structure that leads to the particular element in the agenda
view.  This is fontified (quite nicely, actually) and I was suspecting
that this is what was causing a slowdown on my system as well which is
why I think the problem has something to do with the windowing system
and fonts...

--

@ 2010-12-01 14:18                             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-12-01 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: Sébastien Vauban, emacs-orgmode

On Nov 30, 2010, at 1:30 PM, Eric S Fraga wrote:

> Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:
>
>> Hi Rainer,
>>
>> Rainer Stengele wrote:
>>> after disabling the showing of the outline path in agenda views:
>
> [...]
>

>> What do you exactly mean by: "disabling the showing of the outline
>> path in agenda
>> views"?
>>
>> Best regards,
>>  Seb
>
> I think he means the display that appears in the mini-buffer showing
> the
> headline structure that leads to the particular element in the agenda
> view.  This is fontified (quite nicely, actually) and I was suspecting
> that this is what was causing a slowdown on my system as well which is
> why I think the problem has something to do with the windowing system
> and fonts...

To disable this feature, use

(setq org-agenda-show-outline-path nil)

- Carsten

* Re: moving in the agenda view is slow: solved!
@ 2010-12-01 15:11                           ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2010-12-01 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode
  Cc: ucecesf, Carsten Dominik, nicholas.dokos,
	public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Am 29.11.2010 17:15, schrieb Sébastien Vauban:
> Hi Rainer,
>
> Rainer Stengele wrote:
>> after disabling the showing of the outline path in agenda views:
>>
>> line-move                                                     430         0.1890000000  0.0004395348
>> line-move-1                                                   430         0.1730000000  0.0004023255
>> org-agenda-previous-line                                      214         0.1560000000  0.0007289719
>> org-agenda-next-line                                          216         0.095         0.0004398148
>> next-line                                                     216         0.048         0.0002222222
>> org-agenda-do-context-action                                  430         0.047         0.0001093023
>> org-detach-overlay                                            431         0.015         3.48...e-005
>> org-unhighlight                                               431         0.015         3.48...e-005
>> line-move-partial                                             430         0.0           0.0
>> org-agenda-post-command-hook                                  431         0.0           0.0
>> org-get-at-bol                                                430         0.0           0.0
>>
>> scrolling with "n" and "p" runs smoothly now! Sigh! That means the slowness
>> is connected to my .emacs and org settings!? I'am afraid I have to go
>> through all the settings and find the culprit.
>
> What do you exactly mean by: "disabling the showing of the outline path in agenda
> views"?
>
> Best regards,
>   Seb

Hi Sebastian

I meant setting org-agenda-show-outline-path to nil.

Now the more intersting news.
Reading through my .emacs I found and removed the 2 reasons for the slowness!

1. smooth-scolling.el (from http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SmoothScrolling)

The file includes this:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(defadvice previous-line (after smooth-scroll-down
                            (&optional arg try-vscroll)
                            activate)
  "Scroll down smoothly if cursor is within `smooth-scroll-margin'
lines of the top of the window."
  (and
   ;; Only scroll down if there is buffer above the start of the window.
   (> (window-start) (buffer-end -1))
   (let ((lines-from-window-top
          (smooth-scroll-lines-from-window-top)))
     (and
      ;; Only scroll down if we're within the top margin
      (<= lines-from-window-top smooth-scroll-margin)
      ;; Only scroll down if we're in the top half of the window
      (<= lines-from-window-top
          ;; N.B. `window-height' includes modeline, so if it returned 21,
          ;; that would mean exactly 10 lines in the top half and 10 in
          ;; the bottom.  22 (or any even number) means there's one in the
          ;; middle.  In both cases the following expression will
          ;; yield 10:
          (/ (1- (window-height)) 2))
      (save-excursion
        (scroll-down
              (1+ (- smooth-scroll-margin lines-from-window-top))))))))

(defadvice next-line (after smooth-scroll-up
                            (&optional arg try-vscroll)
                            activate)
  "Scroll up smoothly if cursor is within `smooth-scroll-margin'
lines of the bottom of the window."
  (and
   ;; Only scroll up if there is buffer below the end of the window.
   (< (window-end) (buffer-end 1))
   (let ((lines-from-window-bottom
          (smooth-scroll-lines-from-window-bottom)))
     (and
      ;; Only scroll up if we're within the bottom margin
      (<= lines-from-window-bottom smooth-scroll-margin)
      ;; Only scroll up if we're in the bottom half of the window.
      (<= lines-from-window-bottom
          ;; See above notes on `window-height'.
          (/ (1- (window-height)) 2))
      (save-excursion
        (scroll-up
         (1+ (- smooth-scroll-margin lines-from-window-bottom))))))))
;;;_ + provide
(provide 'smooth-scrolling)
#+END_SRC

2. (add-hook 'org-agenda-mode-hook 'hl-line-mode)

Switching off both features brings back immediate scrolling.

I do miss the features of smooth-scrolling and hl-line but it is not worth the
performance penalty.

Thanks to all for considering and helping.
What a relieve to be able to again scroll fast in the agenda ...

Best,

Rainer

* Re: moving in the agenda view is slow: solved!
@ 2010-12-01 15:19                             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-12-01 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele
  Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ, nicholas.dokos, ucecesf,
	Sébastien Vauban

On Dec 1, 2010, at 4:11 PM, Rainer Stengele wrote:

> [...]
>   (< (window-end) (buffer-end 1))
>   (let ((lines-from-window-bottom
>          (smooth-scroll-lines-from-window-bottom)))
>     (and
>      ;; Only scroll up if we're within the bottom margin
>      (<= lines-from-window-bottom smooth-scroll-margin)
>      ;; Only scroll up if we're in the bottom half of the window.
>      (<= lines-from-window-bottom
>          ;; See above notes on `window-height'.
>          (/ (1- (window-height)) 2))
>      (save-excursion
>        (scroll-up
>         (1+ (- smooth-scroll-margin lines-from-window-bottom))))))))
> ;;;_ + provide
> (provide 'smooth-scrolling)
> #+END_SRC
>
> 2. (add-hook 'org-agenda-mode-hook 'hl-line-mode)
>
> Switching off both features brings back immediate scrolling.
>
> I do miss the features of smooth-scrolling and hl-line but it is not

I guess this could be modified to use an idle timer, so that the
hightlighting will not be updated while keyboard input is in the queue.

> Thanks to all for considering and helping.

Indeed, quite a hunt.  Great thread.

@ 2010-12-01 17:30                             ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-12-01 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele
  Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ, nicholas.dokos,
	Sébastien Vauban, Carsten Dominik

Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele@diplan.de> writes:

[...]

> 1. smooth-scolling.el (from
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SmoothScrolling)

I don't use anything like this, but...

[...]

> 2. (add-hook 'org-agenda-mode-hook 'hl-line-mode)

this I do have!  If I encounter the slowness again, I'll try disabling
this.

Thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 23.2.1
: using Org-mode version 7.3 (release_7.3.162.g8e74)

* Re: org-mode gnus integration across two machines when using nnimap
@ 2010-12-01 18:41     ` e20100633
From: e20100633 @ 2010-12-01 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: ding

Hello,

Tommy Kelly <tommy.kelly@verilab.com> writes:

> I'm looking for help in running Gnus with nnimap, and org-mode, across
> multiple machines.
>
> When reading my email in Gnus (using nnimap off Gmail), I create tasks
> from any given message by using orgp-mode's capture feature. A TODO gets
> created with a hyperlink that, on clicking, takes me back to the
> relevant email in Gnus. That's all cool.

I'm sorry I have no answers for you, but I'm very interested by your way
of using org-mode TODO's to point on emails with gnus. Can you take a
minute to describe it please ?

I'm a kind of newbie, so is it possible for you to tell precisely what
you're doing ? Besides, I have to say that I know how org-mode and gnus
are working, but I don't get how you point automagically a mail you are
reading in an org-file. Thank you very much.

~ #ID: e20100633 <e20100633()inbox!lv> #TEL: 9-8M 4554
~ TYPE 1707-A3 S/N L3-M2812 SLACKWARE 13.0 RLU #527034
------------------------------------------------{,_,">
Pour se faire la main, Dieu créa un imbécile. Ensuite,
il créa tout un conseil d'université.    -- Mark Twain

* Re: [Orgmode] Re: org-mode gnus integration across two machines when using nnimap
@ 2010-12-01 22:55       ` Eric S Fraga
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-12-01 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: e20100633; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, ding

e20100633 <e20100633@inbox.lv> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Tommy Kelly <tommy.kelly@verilab.com> writes:
>
>> I'm looking for help in running Gnus with nnimap, and org-mode, across
>> multiple machines.
>>
>> When reading my email in Gnus (using nnimap off Gmail), I create tasks
>> from any given message by using orgp-mode's capture feature. A TODO gets
>> created with a hyperlink that, on clicking, takes me back to the
>> relevant email in Gnus. That's all cool.
>
> I'm sorry I have no answers for you, but I'm very interested by your way
> of using org-mode TODO's to point on emails with gnus. Can you take a
> minute to describe it please ?
>
> I'm a kind of newbie, so is it possible for you to tell precisely what
> you're doing ? Besides, I have to say that I know how org-mode and gnus
> are working, but I don't get how you point automagically a mail you are
> reading in an org-file. Thank you very much.
>
> Regards,

Basically, when reading an email (in gnus, in wl, in other emacs MUAs
possibly), type "C-c l" (org-store-link) which will /store/ a link to
that email ("store" is the wrong word, in my view; it should arguably be
"make" or "create" or "define" or ... but that's neither here nor
there).  You can then put that link in an org file with "C-c C-l RET"
(org-store-link, accepting the default which should be the last link you
stored).

If you later open the link (C-c C-o, org-open-at-point), it should start
up gnus and show you that email.  I switched from wl to gnus partly
because this procedure works marginally better in gnus than in wl.

--

@ 2010-12-01 23:44         ` e20100633
From: e20100633 @ 2010-12-01 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> e20100633 <e20100633@inbox.lv> writes:
>>
>> I'm sorry I have no answers for you, but I'm very interested by your way
>> of using org-mode TODO's to point on emails with gnus. Can you take a
>> minute to describe it please ?
>>
>>[snip (6 lines)]
>
> Basically, when reading an email (in gnus, in wl, in other emacs MUAs
> possibly), type "C-c l" (org-store-link) which will /store/ a link to
> that email ("store" is the wrong word, in my view; it should arguably be
> "make" or "create" or "define" or ... but that's neither here nor
> there).  You can then put that link in an org file with "C-c C-l RET"
> (org-store-link, accepting the default which should be the last link you
> stored).
>
> If you later open the link (C-c C-o, org-open-at-point), it should start
> up gnus and show you that email.  I switched from wl to gnus partly
> because this procedure works marginally better in gnus than in wl.

Awesome, thank you very much for you help. I was thinking it'll be more
complecated to get it work, but it's actually very easy.

~ #ID: e20100633 <e20100633()inbox!lv> #TEL: 9-8M 4554
~ TYPE 1707-A3 S/N L3-M2812 SLACKWARE 13.0 RLU #527034
------------------------------------------------{,_,">
Pour se faire la main, Dieu créa un imbécile. Ensuite,
il créa tout un conseil d'université.    -- Mark Twain

* Re: Re: org-mode gnus integration across two machines when using nnimap
@ 2010-12-02  1:32         ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-12-02  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: e20100633, emacs-orgmode, ding

> e20100633 <e20100633@inbox.lv> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Tommy Kelly <tommy.kelly@verilab.com> writes:
>>
>>> I'm looking for help in running Gnus with nnimap, and org-mode, across
>>> multiple machines.
>>>
>>> When reading my email in Gnus (using nnimap off Gmail), I create tasks
>>> from any given message by using orgp-mode's capture feature. A TODO gets
>>> created with a hyperlink that, on clicking, takes me back to the
>>> relevant email in Gnus. That's all cool.
>>
>> I'm sorry I have no answers for you, but I'm very interested by your way
>> of using org-mode TODO's to point on emails with gnus. Can you take a
>> minute to describe it please ?
>>
>> I'm a kind of newbie, so is it possible for you to tell precisely what
>> you're doing ? Besides, I have to say that I know how org-mode and gnus
>> are working, but I don't get how you point automagically a mail you are
>> reading in an org-file. Thank you very much.
>>
>> Regards,
>
> Basically, when reading an email (in gnus, in wl, in other emacs MUAs
> possibly), type "C-c l" (org-store-link) which will /store/ a link to
> that email ("store" is the wrong word, in my view; it should arguably be
> "make" or "create" or "define" or ... but that's neither here nor
> there).  You can then put that link in an org file with "C-c C-l RET"
> (org-store-link, accepting the default which should be the last link you
> stored).
>
> If you later open the link (C-c C-o, org-open-at-point), it should start
> up gnus and show you that email.  I switched from wl to gnus partly
> because this procedure works marginally better in gnus than in wl.

I use capture mode for this.  While reading an email I create a new TODO
task with C-M-r t which gives me this:

,----
| * TODO <cursor is here>
| [2010-12-01 Wed 20:23]
| [[gnus:nntp%2Bnews.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.orgmode#87zkspksr2.fsf@ucl.ac.uk][Email from Eric S. Fraga: Re: {Orgmode} Re: org-mode gnu]]
`----

and I normally enter something like 'Reply to Eric' as the TODO task and
file it with C-c C-c.

Later I can open the link with C-c C-o on the headline or from the
agenda to get back to the gnus mail or news article directly.

My todo capture template looks like this:

,----
| (setq org-capture-templates (quote (("t" "todo" entry (file "~/git/org/refile.org") "* TODO %?
|   %U
|   %a" :clock-in t :clock-resume t))))
`----

(extracted from http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html#Capture)

HTH,
Bernt

* Re: Re: org-mode gnus integration across two machines when using nnimap
@ 2010-12-02  1:55         ` Greg Troxel
From: Greg Troxel @ 2010-12-02  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

  Basically, when reading an email (in gnus, in wl, in other emacs MUAs
  possibly), type "C-c l" (org-store-link) which will /store/ a link to
  that email ("store" is the wrong word, in my view; it should arguably be
  "make" or "create" or "define" or ... but that's neither here nor
  there).  You can then put that link in an org file with "C-c C-l RET"
  (org-store-link, accepting the default which should be the last link you
  stored).

Perhaps my capture setup isn't fancy enough, but I think it would be
nice if the default for capture when invoked from gnus were to grab the
gnus link and insert it in the body of the new org headline.

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 194 bytes --]

* Re: org-mode gnus integration across two machines when using nnimap
@ 2010-12-02  2:58           ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-12-02  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Troxel; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com> writes:

>   Basically, when reading an email (in gnus, in wl, in other emacs MUAs
>   possibly), type "C-c l" (org-store-link) which will /store/ a link to
>   that email ("store" is the wrong word, in my view; it should arguably be
>   "make" or "create" or "define" or ... but that's neither here nor
>   there).  You can then put that link in an org file with "C-c C-l RET"
>   (org-store-link, accepting the default which should be the last link you
>   stored).
>
> Perhaps my capture setup isn't fancy enough, but I think it would be
> nice if the default for capture when invoked from gnus were to grab the
> gnus link and insert it in the body of the new org headline.

That's what the "%a" is for in the capture template.

,----[ from C-h v org-capture-templates ]
|   %a          annotation, normally the link created with `org-store-link'
`----

However, the default setup (i.e., when org-capture-templates is nil)
also grabs the link:

,----[ org-capture.el (1110-1101) ]
|     ;; Use an arbitrary default template
|     '("t" "Task" entry (file+headline "" "Tasks") "* TODO %?\n  %u\n  %a")))
`----

Here's what happened when I used the default template on your email:

** TODO
   [2010-12-01 Wed]
   [[gnus:gmane.emacs.orgmode#rmid3plvsz2.fsf@fnord.ir.bbn.com][Greg Troxel: Re: Re: org-mode gnus integration across two machines when using nnimap]]

But perhaps I misunderstand what you mean by the body of the default
gnus headline. Here's a simple template for capturing a link in a
headline:

("l" "link" entry
 (file "~/org/inbox.org")
 "* %a\n %U\n %?\n %i")

Do you have org-gnus in activated in org-modules (the default)?

Best,
Matt

* Re: org-mode gnus integration across two machines when using nnimap
@ 2010-12-02  7:24           ` e20100633
From: e20100633 @ 2010-12-02  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: ding

Hello,

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

> I use capture mode for this.  While reading an email I create a new TODO
> task with C-M-r t which gives me this:
>
> [snip (13 lines)]
>
> ,----
> | (setq org-capture-templates (quote (("t" "todo" entry (file "~/git/org/refile.org") "* TODO %?
> |   %U
> |   %a" :clock-in t :clock-resume t))))
> `----

Very interesting, thank you very much. I think I'm gona rebind the C-M-r
t key ; I'll never remember this combo...

BTW, I have to tell you I'm a fan of your howtos on norang.ca ; you
helped me so much in my every day work with them. I missed somehow this
trick for org-capture-templates in your public html files, and probably
some others... I read them when I was just starting using org-mode ; I
have to re-read all of this :)

@ 2010-12-14 23:07           ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-12-14 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 14:40:18 -0500 Dan Christensen <jdc@uwo.ca> wrote:

DC> Tommy Kelly <tommy.kelly@verilab.com> writes:
>> Here's the link to your reply to me:
>>
>> [[gnus:gmane.emacs.gnus.general#87tyj4x798.fsf@uwo.ca][Email from Dan Christensen: Re: org-mode gnus integration ]]

DC> Since this stores the group name and the message-id, it should work across
DC> different Gnus sessions.

>> The reason I assumed there would be a problem is that even if I simply
>> *move* a Gnus article from one group to another, that breaks the
>> link.

DC> That makes sense, since the link refers to the group.

DC> I believe the Gnus registry can keep track of the message ID --> group
DC> mapping, so org-mode could use this if the article isn't found in the
DC> expected group and the user has the registry enabled.

Yes, but it can fail (it doesn't catch external moves and the user can
limit the registry size to save memory).  See nnregistry.el for an
example of how to use `gnus-refer-article-method' with the registry.  So
maybe the org-mode Gnus integration can use gnus-refer-article-method,
if it doesn't already, and let the user decide if the registry should be
part of the refer search path.

Ted

* Re: Re: moving in the agenda view is slow
@ 2010-12-15 11:47                     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-12-15 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello all,

I'm resurrecting an old (well, not that old) thread dealing with the
agenda view being slow.

I have now determined that, at least in my case, the problem is not with
org but with the X server.  On a dual screen setup, the agenda view is
slow on one screen but shows instant response on the other, and this is
for the same window: simply moving the window from one screen to another
changes the performance.  There is no way this could be org.

I'm not sure what is happening with my X server but that's a problem
outside the scope of this mailing list :-)

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 23.2.1
: using Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.25.geb0d)