From: Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk>
To: Olaf Dietsche <olaf+list.orgmode@olafdietsche.de>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Tommy Kelly <tommy.kelly@verilab.com>
Subject: Re: Journal versus clock tables: Opposing requirements?
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 14:57:27 +0000	[thread overview]

Olaf Dietsche <olaf+list.orgmode@olafdietsche.de> writes:

> Tommy Kelly <tommy.kelly@verilab.com> writes:
>
>>> OK, that might be what I need then. I thought clock tables grouped
>>> things by headings, not by tags. I'll have a look at the manual.

[...]

> #+BEGIN: clocktable :maxlevel 2 :scope file :tags "health"
> Clock summary at [2011-11-08 Di 09:57]
>
> | Headline     | Time   |
> |--------------+--------|
> | *Total time* | *0:20* |
> |--------------+--------|
> | Exercises    | 0:20   |
> #+END: clocktable

I've lost the rest of this thread and I don't actually know who to
attribute the original statement above...

In any case, I would like to have entries in the clock report by tag as
opposed to headline (as alluded to above).  Is this actually possible?
My logging approach is to have descriptive headings (the specific task
undertaken) with tags indicating the type of activity (teaching,
research, admin, personal).  I need a breakdown of my time spent in each
category in one table.

I realise I can do N tables, one for each tag, but this is not
particularly useful for me.  It'll do but if there's a nicer solution,
I'll take it!

The documentation refers to a :formatter entry, but I am not sure
whether this is relevant as it says that this is for formatting an
entry.  My problem is that I want tag based entries, not how they are
formatted?

Apologies if I've missed something obvious in the manual!

Thanks,
eric

--
Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D)