From: Andreas Leha <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: latex (beamer) export and short title
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2012 23:00:45 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Nicolas,

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Andreas Leha <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:
>
>> I'd be a regular user of such functionality, especially for
>> presentations.  But as the concept is useful in other (LaTeX-)
>> documents, a more general support for short titles might be appropriate,
>> I'd say.
>
> It is as simple as using a filter to remove the title provided by the
> template and install your own.
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> (defun ngz-enforce-my-title (contents backend info)
>   ;; In LaTeX export, if I defined a title with a short title, remove
>   ;; default title command provided by template, if any.
>   (if (or (not (eq backend 'e-latex))
>           (not (string-match "^\\\\title\\[.*\\]{.*}$" contents))
>           (not (string-match "^\\\\title{.*}\n" contents)))
>       contents
>     (replace-match "" nil nil contents)))
>
> (add-to-list 'org-export-filter-final-output-functions 'ngz-enforce-my-title)
> #+end_src
>
> Now you can use the following Org setup:
>
> #+begin_src org
> #+TITLE:       Long Title
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \title[short title]{long title}
> #+end_src

thanks a lot for this, both the reminder that filters can do this and
the provided function.  For sure, it works, and I'll be a happy user of
this.

In general:
If org-mode exports 'A' which I'd rather like to be 'B', then I can convert
'A' to 'B' after the export (e.g. via a filter).  It would be easier if it
was 'B' right away.  The support for short titles in LaTeX export might
be a general enough concept to be supported right away.  I guess, at
least a few people will add the identical snippet from above to their
.emacs right now...  So, why not have the above filter included and
active by default?
But don't take this too seriously.  For me the own filter solution works
great.  I already have a filter, that strips the #+XXX keywords from the
export, where I can easily add another filter function.  And the general
need for short titles has been surprisingly low, apparently.

So, thanks again,
Andreas