* Linking to Thunderbird
@ 2012-12-07 23:41 Christoph Herzog
From: Christoph Herzog @ 2012-12-07 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Today I discovered a really practical add-on for Thunderbird that solved
my problem of how to linking to a mail in Thunderbird:

https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/thunderlink/

(It requires some modification of the mimetypes on your system as
described in the documentation.)
Next, I set up a file org-thunderlink.el to register the link in orgmode.
The code is not more than this:

(require 'org)

(org-add-link-type "thunderlink" 'org-thunderlink-open)

(defun org-thunderlink-open (path)
   "Opens  a specified email in Thunderbird with the help of the add-on
ThunderLink."
   ;(message-box path)
   (start-process "myname" nil "xdg-open" (concat "thunderlink:" path)))

(provide 'org-thunderlink)

It works mostly except when Thunderbird is not running and for some
emails whose id start with a number (but I have to check out).

I would be interested in feedback if someone improves the code above to
make it right: I'm aware that, as I am not an Elisp programmer, the code
above is probably not the way to do it. :-)

* Re: Linking to Thunderbird (correction)
@ 2012-12-10  7:24 ` Christoph Herzog
From: Christoph Herzog @ 2012-12-10  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 12/08/2012 12:41 AM, Christoph Herzog wrote:
> Today I discovered a really practical add-on for Thunderbird that solved
> my problem of how to linking to a mail in Thunderbird:
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/thunderlink/
>
> (It requires some modification of the mimetypes on your system as
> described in the documentation.)
> Next, I set up a file org-thunderlink.el to register the link in orgmode.
> The code is not more than this:
>

> (require 'org)
>
> (org-add-link-type "thunderlink" 'org-thunderlink-open)
>
> (defun org-thunderlink-open (path)
>    "Opens  a specified email in Thunderbird with the help of the add-on
> ThunderLink."
>    ;(message-box path)
>    (start-process "myname" nil "xdg-open" (concat "thunderlink:" path)))
>
> (provide 'org-thunderlink)

The following code works much better:

(require 'org)

(org-add-link-type "thunderlink" 'org-thunderlink-open)
(defun org-thunderlink-open (path)
   "Opens  a specified email in Thunderbird with the help of the add-on
ThunderLink."
   (start-process "myname" nil "thunderbird" "-thunderlink" (concat
"thunderlink:" path)))

(provide 'org-thunderlink)

* Re: Linking to Thunderbird (correction)
@ 2012-12-10 18:45   ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2012-12-10 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Herzog; +Cc: Org Mode

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 2:24 AM, Christoph Herzog <rhogez@gmail.com> wrote:
> (org-add-link-type "thunderlink" 'org-thunderlink-open)
> (defun org-thunderlink-open (path)
>   "Opens  a specified email in Thunderbird with the help of the add-on
> ThunderLink."
>   (start-process "myname" nil "thunderbird" "-thunderlink" (concat
> "thunderlink:" path)))
>
> (provide 'org-thunderlink)
wow, fantastic!  thank you for this -- I just couldn't make myself
love wanderlust the way I wanted to, but I desperately missed org
integration-- and now I have it back!  this is fantastic.

(though I've just noticed that if I archive or move an email, the link
breaks -- not at al surprising, but it would be fantastic to get
around that somehow..)

* Re: Linking to Thunderbird
@ 2012-12-13 22:58 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-13 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Herzog; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Christoph,

Christoph Herzog <rhogez@gmail.com> writes:

> It works mostly except when Thunderbird is not running and for some emails
> whose id start with a number (but I have to check out).

Thanks!

I add an entry in the FAQ:
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#sec-10-8

--