* Can org-capture-templates be made more flexible?
@ 2013-10-13  9:59 Leo Liu
From: Leo Liu @ 2013-10-13  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi there,

I use https://github.com/leoliu/applescripts/blob/master/Notes.el to
pull notes from Notes.app on OS X into an org buffer.

Naturally I also want to hook something into org-capture to create new
notes. However, it seems org-capture-templates requires a file-location
of some sort, which is unhelpful in this case. Any way to make
org-capture-templates more flexible?

Thanks,
Leo

* Re: Can org-capture-templates be made more flexible?
@ 2013-10-13 10:17 ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-10-13 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 05:59:38PM +0800, Leo Liu wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I use https://github.com/leoliu/applescripts/blob/master/Notes.el to
> pull notes from Notes.app on OS X into an org buffer.
>
> Naturally I also want to hook something into org-capture to create new
> notes. However, it seems org-capture-templates requires a file-location
> of some sort, which is unhelpful in this case. Any way to make
> org-capture-templates more flexible?

How about using a dummy file?

--
Suvayu

* Re: Can org-capture-templates be made more flexible?
@ 2013-10-14  1:37   ` Leo Liu
From: Leo Liu @ 2013-10-14  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2013-10-13 18:17 +0800, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> How about using a dummy file?

It's a workaround which I want to avoid if possible. Thus me asking
here.

@ 2013-11-06  8:15 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-11-06  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Liu; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Leo,

Leo Liu <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> I use https://github.com/leoliu/applescripts/blob/master/Notes.el to
> pull notes from Notes.app on OS X into an org buffer.
>
> Naturally I also want to hook something into org-capture to create new
> notes. However, it seems org-capture-templates requires a file-location
> of some sort, which is unhelpful in this case. Any way to make
> org-capture-templates more flexible?

I'm not sure I understand your use-case clearly: you need to invoke
org-capture with no target file?

Thanks for further explanations,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Can org-capture-templates be made more flexible?
@ 2013-11-06 15:33   ` Leo Liu
From: Leo Liu @ 2013-11-06 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2013-11-06 16:15 +0800, Bastien wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand your use-case clearly: you need to invoke
> org-capture with no target file?
>
> Thanks for further explanations

Exactly. I need the ability to send the org buffer created by capture to
the Notes.app directly. The Notes.app handles the storage and
synchronisation between multiple devices.

@ 2013-11-06 16:25     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-11-06 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Liu; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Leo,

Leo Liu <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2013-11-06 16:15 +0800, Bastien wrote:
>> I'm not sure I understand your use-case clearly: you need to invoke
>> org-capture with no target file?
>>
>> Thanks for further explanations
>
> Exactly. I need the ability to send the org buffer created by capture to
> the Notes.app directly. The Notes.app handles the storage and
> synchronisation between multiple devices.

In that case, using a target like (function ...) could do -- did you
try this?

See (info "(org)Template elements")

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Can org-capture-templates be made more flexible?
@ 2013-11-07  3:58       ` Leo Liu
From: Leo Liu @ 2013-11-07  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2013-11-07 00:25 +0800, Bastien wrote:
> In that case, using a target like (function ...) could do -- did you
> try this?

thanks for the pointer. I glanced at this option while reading the
org-capture-templates' doc.

From org-capture-set-target-location:

   ((eq (car target) 'function)
    (funcall (nth 1 target))
    (org-capture-put :exact-position (point))
    (setq target-entry-p (and (derived-mode-p 'org-mode) (org-at-heading-p))))

and org-capture-finalize calls save-buffer I think this option requires
a file still.

@ 2013-11-07  8:52         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-11-07  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Liu; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Leo Liu <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> and org-capture-finalize calls save-buffer I think this option requires
> a file still.

Mhhh, yes, it does.

Maybe one can hack something to "send" a subtree to an external
program.  That way you can first capture it, then send it.

--
 Bastien