From: "François Pinard" <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: gnus: link annoyance
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2014 00:36:02 -0500	[thread overview]

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> Thanks for working on org-grep.  It looks interesting.

Thanks for thanking! :-) But deep down, I'm really doing this tool for
myself, and only then share it with others.  Given the amount of notes I
handle, such a tool is inescapable, it is a question of survival :-).

>> Whenever I visit a "gnus:" type link from Org, it has the side effect of
>> "reading" the article in Gnus parlance, forcing me to "unread" it each
>> time afterwards.

> Excuse me if I misunderstood something below.  You read it, no?  How
> can it not be marked read when you read it?

The list gnus-mark-article-hook, which is there for customization, has
the function gnus-summary-mark-read-and-unread-as-read by default.  I
guess that if the hook list was empty, articles would be displayed and
not automatically marked as read.

> Perhaps you would like to the following on mailgroups you care about
> (from the *Groups* buffer):

>     G c C-s Display S-TAB RET TAB RET 1 TAB 100 M-< TAB TAB RET

> Also, you can search with nnir using GG or C-u GG (but links probably
> won't work from a nnir buffer).

I would not think one should modify his Gnus habits or methods merely
because Org has a tool to search in Gnus.  Org uses Gnus, but Gnus
should not be disturbed because of that.

>   1. Mark an article as important with '!',
>      (gnus-summary-tick-article-forward N)

But I do not want to tick (or bang) articles because I do Org searches.
When really in Gnus, if I want to keep an article, I unread it.  But
that does not mean I consider this article especially important.  If I
want to mark an article as important, I bang it, and as a consequence,
Gnus unread it.  Banging all articles I want to keep unread is not only
overkill, but it spoils the bang mark, which I find very useful for
other purposes than Org.

> I can also change the mark to gnus-summary-mark-as-expirable and
> preserve the link.

One possibility (untested, so I'm not sure) is that when following a
"gnus:" link, Org could use something like:

   (let ((gnus-mark-article-hook nil))
     (ACCESS-THE-gnus:-LINK))

François