* Hiding checked items in a checkbox list (FR?)
@ 2014-06-01  5:01 Sergio Pokrovskij
From: Sergio Pokrovskij @ 2014-06-01  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Is it possible to hide the checked items?  E.g. I have a long
shopping list of items I regularly buy, but for the current date I
need only a dozen of them.  I'd like to be able to show all the
items; possibly to check all of them; then uncheck the dozen I
currently need; then hide the checked items.

The next problem is that MobileOrg should respect the preliminary
hiding done before the visit to the shop.  I do not request that
it hide the checked (= bought) items as well (actually I'd prefer
it to leave them checked and visible; but also its
hiding-on-the-fly is quite acceptable).

--
Sergio

* Re: Hiding checked items in a checkbox list (FR?)
@ 2014-06-01  5:40 ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2014-06-01  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sergio Pokrovskij writes:

> The next problem is that MobileOrg should respect the preliminary
> hiding done before the visit to the shop.  I do not request that it
> hide the checked (= bought) items as well (actually I'd prefer it to
> leave them checked and visible; but also its hiding-on-the-fly is
> quite acceptable).

Sorry, but i'm not sure i follow. Do you mean something like the
following example workflow?

1. Have list of (say) 10 grocery items in org-mode.
2. Initially mark all of them as 'unneeded' by checking all items with a
   single command.
3. Uncheck (say) 3 items that are 'needed'.
4. Run org-mobile-push.
5. MobileOrg displays only the 3 'needed' items; the other 7 checked
   (i.e. unneeded) items are hidden.
6. As items are purchased and checked off the list, they can either:
   (a) remain visible; or
   (b) become hidden upon being checked.

Is that correct?

Alexis.

* Re: Hiding checked items in a checkbox list (FR?)
@ 2014-06-01 10:23   ` Sergio Pokrovskij
From: Sergio Pokrovskij @ 2014-06-01 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

  Al> Sergio Pokrovskij writes:

  >> The next problem is that MobileOrg should respect the preliminary
  >> hiding done before the visit to the shop.  I do not request that it
  >> hide the checked (= bought) items as well (actually I'd prefer it to
  >> leave them checked and visible; but also its hiding-on-the-fly is
  >> quite acceptable).

  Al> Sorry, but i'm not sure i follow. Do you mean something like
  Al> the following example workflow?

  Al> 1. Have list of (say) 10 grocery items in org-mode.

Yes (actually I have about 80 items in my Springpad list; if the
full list consists of mere 10 items, it fits the screen of my
smartphone, and there is no real need to hide the checked items).

  Al> 2. Initially mark all of them as 'unneeded' by checking all
  Al> items with a single command.

Possibly so.  Actually all the performed items get checked as I
buy them, and those which for some reason I could not buy should
preserve their open (unchecked, unimplemented) status.  So
normally I need not perform this step (provided that what I have
checked at the store gets synchronized back to the Big Brother);
but in some infrequent cases it is nice to have such a command
(though I guess it can be easily done with an M-% in emacs).

  Al> 3. Uncheck (say) 3 items that are 'needed'.
  Al> 4. Run org-mobile-push.

Do I have to do it manually every time (more than once)?  Aren't
such files synchronized automatically?

  Al> 5. MobileOrg displays only the 3 'needed' items; the other 7
  Al> checked (i.e. unneeded) items are hidden.

Yes (in fact, normally there are more of them, a dozen at least).

  Al> 6. As items are purchased and checked off the list, they can
  Al>    either:
  Al>    (a) remain visible; or
  Al>    (b) become hidden upon being checked.

  Al> Is that correct?

Yes.  Normally (b) is sufficient for me, because normally I have
just a screenful of interesting items.  But I can imagine that
people who need longer shopping lists (more that one screen of
them) would prefer to have a MobileOrg command to hide the
newly-checked items as well.

--

@ 2014-06-01 11:03     ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2014-06-01 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sergio Pokrovskij writes:

> Yes (actually I have about 80 items in my Springpad list; if the full
> list consists of mere 10 items, it fits the screen of my smartphone,
> and there is no real need to hide the checked items).

*nod* Fair enough; i was just making up some numbers in order to be
concrete.

>   Al> 2. Initially mark all of them as 'unneeded' by checking all
>   Al> items with a single command.
>
> Possibly so.  Actually all the performed items get checked as I buy
> them, and those which for some reason I could not buy should preserve
> their open (unchecked, unimplemented) status.  So normally I need not
> perform this step (provided that what I have checked at the store gets
> synchronized back to the Big Brother); but in some infrequent cases it
> is nice to have such a command (though I guess it can be easily done
> with an M-% in emacs).

*nod*

>   Al> 3. Uncheck (say) 3 items that are 'needed'.
>   Al> 4. Run org-mobile-push.
>
> Do I have to do it manually every time (more than once)?  Aren't such
> files synchronized automatically?

It depends on how you've set up MobileOrg. i sync via ssh, and thus sync
manually via org-mobile-push and org-mobile-pull from within Emacs. If
you use e.g. Dropbox, things might be different - i can't comment on
that.

>   Al> 5. MobileOrg displays only the 3 'needed' items; the other 7
>   Al> checked (i.e. unneeded) items are hidden.
>
> Yes (in fact, normally there are more of them, a dozen at least).

See above - at this stage, for the purposes of understanding the core of
the flow you're wanting, the exact numbers don't matter so much. But in
terms of potential UI access to such flows, i'll certainly keep in mind
that lists might include many dozens of items.

>   Al> 6. As items are purchased and checked off the list, they can
>   Al>    either:
>   Al>    (a) remain visible; or
>   Al>    (b) become hidden upon being checked.
>
>   Al> Is that correct?
>
> Yes.  Normally (b) is sufficient for me, because normally I have just
> a screenful of interesting items.  But I can imagine that people who
> need longer shopping lists (more that one screen of them) would prefer
> to have a MobileOrg command to hide the newly-checked items as well.

*nod* Fair enough. i'll check the MobileOrg issues page:

https://github.com/matburt/mobileorg-android/issues

for any equivalent and/or similar proposals, and submit a new issue if
there aren't any. Either way, i'll see what i can do about adding this
functionality. :-) Note, though, that i'm not the lead developer, so i
don't have any control over if/when any such functionality will be (a)
included in the master branch and (b) included in a release.

Alexis.