* org-table: Reference *one* cell below a hline?
@ 2014-05-29  9:22 James Harkins
From: James Harkins @ 2014-05-29  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: orgmode

I have this:

| Section  | Seconds |
|----------+---------|
| Theme    |      54 |
| 12/8     |      80 |
| 6/8      |      66 |
| Clarinet |     116 |
| Oboe     |      89 |
| Bassoon  |      60 |
|----------+---------|
|          |         |
#+TBLFM: @II+1$2=vsum(@I$2..@II$2)

After calculation (C-u C-u C-c *), I expected:

| Section  | Seconds |
|----------+---------|
| Theme    |      54 |
| 12/8     |      80 |
| 6/8      |      66 |
| Clarinet |     116 |
| Oboe     |      89 |
| Bassoon  |      60 |
|----------+---------|
|          |     465 |
#+TBLFM: @II+1$2=vsum(@I$2..@II$2)

I got:

| Section  | Seconds |
|----------+---------|
| Theme    |      54 |
| 12/8     |      80 |
| 6/8      |      66 |
| Clarinet |     116 |
| Oboe     |      89 |
| Bassoon  |      60 |
|----------+---------|
| 465      |     465 |
#+TBLFM: @II+1$2=vsum(@I$2..@II$2)

That is, "@II+1$2" refers to the *entire row* beneath the second hline,
rather than only the second column in that row. In other words, org-table
discards the $2.

That can't be right, can it?

I'm going to add rows below "465," so I can't just use "@>$2."

This table won't be public, so no big deal *in this case*. But I can
imagine cases where this would be absolutely wrong behavior.

hjh