* async export not working for me
@ 2014-09-17 15:39 Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2014-09-17 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm running org-mode 8.3beta from org-plus-contrib in melpa. I must have
missed something obvious cause I could never get async export working.

Here is what I do:
emacs -Q
(require 'package)
(package-initialize) ;; since org is installed by package

create a test.org file with only

* First Heading
* Second Heading

run

C-c
C-a ;; in the export dispatcher

I get:

Initializing asynchronous export process
org-export-to-file: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil

the synchronous export works fine.

If I run emacs with my regular config files, I get:
Initializing asynchronous export process
Process 'org-export-process' exited abnormally

different error message but still not ok.

What could possibly go wrong ?

Julien.

* Re: async export not working for me
@ 2014-09-17 17:03 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2014-09-17 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Julien,

Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:

> I'm running org-mode 8.3beta from org-plus-contrib in melpa. I must have
> missed something obvious cause I could never get async export working.
>
> Here is what I do:
> emacs -Q
> (require 'package)
> (package-initialize) ;; since org is installed by package
>

> create a test.org file with only
>
> * First Heading
> * Second Heading
>
> run
>
> C-c
> C-a ;; in the export dispatcher
>
> I get:
>
> Initializing asynchronous export process
> org-export-to-file: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
>
> the synchronous export works fine.
>
> If I run emacs with my regular config files, I get:
> Initializing asynchronous export process
> Process 'org-export-process' exited abnormally
>
> different error message but still not ok.
>
> What could possibly go wrong ?

Probably you are somehow not loading settings "correctly".  In your
normal init file you need to set `org-export-async-init-file'.  In
that file you then need to make sure everything is working as
expected.  On way to debug is to start from emacs -q, load
`org-export-async-init-file' and see what error you expect.

I set `org-export-async-init-file' like the following snippet.  It's
"complicated" because my init-org-async.el loads a subset of my init
file.

(eval-after-load 'ox ;; shouldn't be byte compiled.
  '(when (and user-init-file (buffer-file-name)) ;; don't do it in async
     (setq org-export-async-init-file
           (expand-file-name "init-org-async.el" (file-name-directory user-init-file)))))

Here's my init file for async export.  Perhaps you will find a trick
that makes your files export async there.

;; initialization file for org async.

;; Note that in my init.el I use
;; orgstruct with headlines like:
;;   ;;* PRE
;;   ...
;;   ;;* ORG
;;   ...

(defun read-between-headlines (start &optional end file)
  "Read a part of the init file.  Give a START regexp to find the
start point and optionally an end regexp."
  (save-match-data
    (let ((file (or file
                    (expand-file-name "init.el" user-emacs-directory)))
	  (end (or end  "^;+ ?\\*\\*? ?[A_Za-z0-9]+"))
	  (case-fold-search t)
	  m1 m2)
      (with-temp-buffer
	(insert-file file)
	(goto-char (point-min))
	(search-forward-regexp start)
	(setq m1 (point))
	(search-forward-regexp "^;+ ?\\*\\*? ?[A_Za-z0-9]+")
	(setq m2 (point))
	(eval-region m1 m2)))))

(mapc (lambda (x) (add-to-list 'load-path x))
      `("/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org"
        "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org_contrib/lisp"
        ,(expand-file-name "lisp" user-emacs-directory)))

(setq user-full-name "Rasmus")
(setq user-mail-address "rasmus@gmx.us")
(require 'org) ;; loads from site lisp
(require 'ox)
(require 'cl)  ;; stupid bug in one of the org-packages?
(setq org-export-async-debug nil)

(mapc (lambda (x) (read-between-headlines (concat ";+ ?\\*+ ?" x))) '("PRE" "ORG"))

;; from http://sachachua.com/notebook/emacs/dotemacs.el
(defun ask-user-about-lock (file opponent) "Always steal lock." t)

Hope it helps,
Rasmus

--
Lasciate ogni speranza o voi che entrate: siete nella mani di'machellaio

* Re: async export not working for me
@ 2014-09-17 17:16 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-09-17 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Cubizolles; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:

> I'm running org-mode 8.3beta from org-plus-contrib in melpa. I must have
> missed something obvious cause I could never get async export working.

[...]

> What could possibly go wrong ?

No idea. You may want to set `org-export-async-debug' to a non-nil
value and report the error.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: async export not working for me
@ 2014-09-17 19:45   ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2014-09-17 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> Hi Julien,

> Probably you are somehow not loading settings "correctly".  In your
> normal init file you need to set `org-export-async-init-file'.

I completely missed this part... I feel stupid now. Maybe org should
complain when this variable is not set and someone like me tries to
export async ?

I will pick what is necessary for export in my normal init file
(basically all org and latex related stuff) and give it a try.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll have a look at your setup too.

@ 2014-09-18  4:41     ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2014-09-18  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:

> Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:
>
>> Hi Julien,
>
>> Probably you are somehow not loading settings "correctly".  In your
>> normal init file you need to set `org-export-async-init-file'.

I could get it to work at last, thank you a lot. I noticed something
though: when I run org-latex-export-to-pdf async on a very simple test
org file, the *Org Export Stack* buffer displays

 latex            0:07   /home/wilk/tmp/test.pdf

and the minibuffer indicates that the process completed.

When I publish a complex project, the line in this buffer is

                  exit   *Org Export Process*<6>

same as if there had been a problem. There is no success message in the
minibuffer, but no error message in the *Org Export Process* buffer.

@ 2014-09-18 12:55       ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2014-09-18 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Julien,

Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:

> I could get it to work at last, thank you a lot. I noticed something
> though: when I run org-latex-export-to-pdf async on a very simple test
> org file, the *Org Export Stack* buffer displays
>
>  latex            0:07   /home/wilk/tmp/test.pdf
>
> and the minibuffer indicates that the process completed.
>

> When I publish a complex project, the line in this buffer is
>
>                   exit   *Org Export Process*<6>
>
> same as if there had been a problem. There is no success message in the
> minibuffer, but no error message in the *Org Export Process* buffer.

Async is solid so most likely you're still facing a bug.  Maybe
something is missing from your async init file that is available to
Org when you export without async — 'cause I expect the file to export
just fine without async.

I debug async errors by starting emacs -q, evaling my asyc init file
and exporting my non-functioning buffer without async.

Alternatively you should look for clues in `temporary-file-directory'
cf. the docstring of `org-export-async-debug'.

Hope it helps,
Rasmus

--
The Kids call him Billy the Saint