* bug#19887: 24.4; Cannot kill buffer; Wrong type argument: overlayp, nil
       [not found] ` <bnh9uk2vcq.fsf@fencepost.gnu.org>
@ 2015-02-18  0:35   ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2015-02-18  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 19887

On 2015-02-18T06:25:57+1100, Glenn Morris said:

 GM> Damian Nadales wrote:

 >> - Run emacs -Q
 >>
 >> - Create an org-mode file (i.e. ``myorgfile.org``)
 >>
 >> - Insert the following text:
 >>
 >> o #+BEGIN_SRC C++
 >>
 >> #+END_SRC
 >>
 >> - Edit the source block by placing the cursor inside the SRC
 >> block.
 >>
 >> - Start C++ mode (c++-mode)
 >>
 >> - Try to kill the buffer.

 GM> Please do

 GM> M-x toggle-debug-on-error

 GM> repeat the problem, and post the resulting backtrace.  (I
 can't GM> reproduce it.)

Running a manually compiled Emacs 24.4.1 on Debian
Wheezy(+updates) x86_64, and following the above steps, i can't
reproduce this either.

From the above description, i assume by the "Start C++ mode" line,
you're not moving the cursor inside the source block and then
doing:

    C-c '

(i.e. `org-edit-special`) in order to open a c++-mode buffer for
editing the block contents?

Alexis.

* bug#19887: 24.4; Cannot kill buffer; Wrong type argument: overlayp, nil
@ 2015-02-18  1:12     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-02-18  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexis; +Cc: 19887

Hello,

Alexis <flexibeast@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2015-02-18T06:25:57+1100, Glenn Morris said:
>
> GM> Damian Nadales wrote:
>
>>> - Run emacs -Q
>>> - Create an org-mode file (i.e. ``myorgfile.org``)
>>> - Insert the following text:
>>> o #+BEGIN_SRC C++
>>> #+END_SRC
>>> - Edit the source block by placing the cursor inside the SRC block.
>>> - Start C++ mode (c++-mode)
>>> - Try to kill the buffer.
>
> GM> Please do
>
> GM> M-x toggle-debug-on-error
>
> GM> repeat the problem, and post the resulting backtrace.  (I can't
> GM> reproduce it.)
>
> Running a manually compiled Emacs 24.4.1 on Debian Wheezy(+updates)
> x86_64, and following the above steps, i can't reproduce this either.
>
> From the above description, i assume by the "Start C++ mode" line,
> you're not moving the cursor inside the source block and then doing:
>
>    C-c '
>
> (i.e. `org-edit-special`) in order to open a c++-mode buffer for
> editing the block contents?

This should be fixed. Thank you.

However, it is not a good idea to change major mode in an edit buffer,
as it removes local variables used to synchronize with the source block.
Proper major mode, when non-trivial, should be defined with
``org-src-lang-modes' instead.

Nicolas Goaziou

@ 2015-02-18  9:06   ` Damian Nadales
From: Damian Nadales @ 2015-02-18  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: 19887@debbugs.gnu.org

Hi Glenn,

> Damian Nadales wrote:
>

> > -          Run emacs -Q
> >
> > -          Create an org-mode file (i.e. ``myorgfile.org``)
> >
> > -          Insert the following text:
> >
> > o   #+BEGIN_SRC C++
> >
> > #+END_SRC
> >
> > -          Edit the source block by placing the cursor inside the SRC block.

[Damian Nadales]
By the way, here editing should be done by placing the cursor in the org buffer ``myorgfile.org``, and then pressing C-' to edit the source code in a different buffer. And this is the buffer that cannot be killed.

> > -          Start C++ mode (c++-mode)
> >
> > -          Try to kill the buffer.
>
> Please do
>
> M-x toggle-debug-on-error
>
> repeat the problem, and post the resulting backtrace.
> (I can't reproduce it.)
[Damian Nadales]
This is what I got.

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument overlayp nil)
  delete-overlay(nil)
  #[nil "\301\b!\207" [org-edit-src-overlay delete-overlay] 2]()
  kill-buffer("*Org Src myorgfile.org[ c++ ]*")
  call-interactively(kill-buffer nil nil)
  command-execute(kill-buffer)

Thanks for your help.
-- The information contained in this communication and any attachments is confidential and may be privileged, and is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. Unless explicitly stated otherwise in the body of this communication or the attachment thereto (if any), the information is provided on an AS-IS basis without any express or implied warranties or liabilities. To the extent you are relying on this information, you are doing so at your own risk. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments. The sender nor the company/group of companies he or she represents shall be liable for the proper and complete transmission of the information contained in this communication, or for any delay in its receipt.

* bug#19887: 24.4; Cannot kill buffer; Wrong type argument: overlayp, nil
       [not found] <A91BE6AD3859A64BB2074A8F81DF08790317E812@NLVDHX735.sn-eu.asml.com>
       [not found] ` <bnh9uk2vcq.fsf@fencepost.gnu.org>
@ 2015-02-19 15:49 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-02-19 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damian Nadales; +Cc: 19887

> From: Damian Nadales <damian.nadales@asml.com>
> Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 16:04:54 +0000
>
> Running Emacs 24.4, compiled from source I found I cannot kill a buffer when
> performing these steps:
>
> - Run emacs –Q
>
> - Create an org-mode file (i.e. ``myorgfile.org``)
>
> - Insert the following text:
>
> o #+BEGIN_SRC C++
>
> #+END_SRC
>
> - Edit the source block by placing the cursor inside the SRC block.
>
> - Start C++ mode (c++-mode)
>
> - Try to kill the buffer.

I cannot reproduce this.  I tried both Emacs 24.4 and the pretest of
24.5.  In both cases, Emacs asks me whether to kill a buffer that is
modified, and once I answer YES, the buffer is killed.

Is it possible that you are using Org mode from the Org repository,
not the one bundled with Emacs?

* bug#19887: 24.4; Cannot kill buffer; Wrong type argument: overlayp, nil
@ 2015-02-20  7:32   ` Damian Nadales
From: Damian Nadales @ 2015-02-20  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 19887@debbugs.gnu.org

> I cannot reproduce this.  I tried both Emacs 24.4 and the pretest of 24.5.  In
> both cases, Emacs asks me whether to kill a buffer that is modified, and once
> I answer YES, the buffer is killed.

[Damian Nadales]
That's weird. Which buffer are you killing, the Org buffer, or the new buffer that is created when pressing C-c ' inside the source block? Is the latter the one I cannot kill.

> Is it possible that you are using Org mode from the Org repository, not the
> one bundled with Emacs?
[Damian Nadales]
I've only installed packages through the emacs package manager, and Org mode was not one of them. The command ``org-version`` reports:

    Org-mode version 8.2.10 (release_8.2.10 @ /home/dnadales/opt/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/org/)

I don't know if there is any other information I could give.

In any case thanks for your time.
[...]

* Re: bug#19887: 24.4; Cannot kill buffer; Wrong type argument: overlayp, nil
@ 2015-02-20  8:52     ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2015-02-20  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2015-02-20T18:32:12+1100, Damian Nadales said:

 DN> That's weird. Which buffer are you killing, the DN> Org
 buffer, or the new buffer that is created when pressing C-c ' DN>
 inside the source block? Is the latter the one I cannot kill.

 DN> I've only installed packages through the emacs DN> package
 manager, and Org mode was not one of them. The command DN>
 ``org-version`` reports:

 DN>     Org-mode version 8.2.10 (release_8.2.10 @ DN>
 /home/dnadales/opt/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/org/)

Having thought about it a bit, i seem to remember that a while
back, i had the same issue as the one you're currently
experiencing. (Even though, as i noted above, i can't reproduce it
my current setup, a manually compiled 24.4.1 on Debian
Wheezy(+updates) x86_64.)  Unfortunately, i can't remember what
made the problem go away; the only two things that come to mind
are:

* installing and using Org from the orgmode.org ELPA, i.e.

    (add-to-list 'package-archives
                 '("org" . "http://orgmode.org/elpa/") t)

or

* removing existing Org-related byte-compiled files (i.e. *.elc
  files),
  so that they got regenerated.

Alexis.

* bug#19887: 24.4; Cannot kill buffer; Wrong type argument: overlayp, nil
@ 2015-02-20 10:37     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-02-20 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damian Nadales; +Cc: 19887

> From: Damian Nadales <damian.nadales@asml.com>
> CC: "19887@debbugs.gnu.org" <19887@debbugs.gnu.org>
> Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 07:32:12 +0000
>
> > I cannot reproduce this.  I tried both Emacs 24.4 and the pretest of 24.5.  In
> > both cases, Emacs asks me whether to kill a buffer that is modified, and once
> > I answer YES, the buffer is killed.
> >
> [Damian Nadales]
> That's weird. Which buffer are you killing, the Org buffer, or the new buffer that is created when pressing C-c ' inside the source block? Is the latter the one I cannot kill.

There was no "C-c '" in the recipe you posted.

What is the full recipe to reproduce the problem, please?

* bug#19887: 24.4; Cannot kill buffer; Wrong type argument: overlayp, nil
@ 2015-02-20 11:20       ` Nicolas Richard
From: Nicolas Richard @ 2015-02-20 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Damian Nadales, 19887, Nicolas Goaziou

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>> From: Damian Nadales <damian.nadales@asml.com>
>> That's weird. Which buffer are you killing, the Org buffer, or the
>> new buffer that is created when pressing C-c ' inside the source
>> block? Is the latter the one I cannot kill.
>
> There was no "C-c '" in the recipe you posted.
>
> What is the full recipe to reproduce the problem, please?

PMJI, but at <http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/95159>,
Nicolas Goaziou said "This should be fixed."

Perhaps this bug report can simply be closed then ?

IIUC, he fixed it in:
Commit c41bbc577e81e9fa5bab2509a8141189e45fe6c7
Author:     Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
AuthorDate: Wed Feb 18 01:59:51 2015 +0100
Commit:     Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
CommitDate: Wed Feb 18 01:59:51 2015 +0100

    Fix "Wrong type argument: overlayp"

    * lisp/org-src.el (org-src-mode-configure-edit-buffer): Fix "Wrong
      type argument: overlayp".

    Changing major mode in a source edit buffer resets local variables
    used to link it to source buffer.  As a consequence, overlay in source
    buffer can no longer be found nor deleted.

Nicolas Richard

* bug#19887: 24.4; Cannot kill buffer; Wrong type argument: overlayp, nil
@ 2015-02-20 11:22         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-02-20 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Richard; +Cc: damian.nadales, 19887, mail

> From: Nicolas Richard <theonewiththeevillook@yahoo.fr>
> Cc: Damian Nadales <damian.nadales@asml.com>,  19887@debbugs.gnu.org, Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
> Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 12:20:15 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
> >> From: Damian Nadales <damian.nadales@asml.com>
> >> That's weird. Which buffer are you killing, the Org buffer, or the
> >> new buffer that is created when pressing C-c ' inside the source
> >> block? Is the latter the one I cannot kill.
> >
> > There was no "C-c '" in the recipe you posted.
> >
> > What is the full recipe to reproduce the problem, please?
>
> PMJI, but at <http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/95159>,
> Nicolas Goaziou said "This should be fixed."
>
> Perhaps this bug report can simply be closed then ?

If it's fixed, please close it.

* bug#19887: 24.4; Cannot kill buffer; Wrong type argument: overlayp, nil
@ 2015-02-20 12:17       ` Damian Nadales
From: Damian Nadales @ 2015-02-20 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Glenn Morris, 19887@debbugs.gnu.org

Hi Eli,

> > [Damian Nadales]
> > That's weird. Which buffer are you killing, the Org buffer, or the new buffer
> that is created when pressing C-c ' inside the source block? Is the latter the
> one I cannot kill.
>
> There was no "C-c '" in the recipe you posted.

[Damian Nadales]
No, it wasn't. Sorry for that.

I replied to Glenn Morris yesterday, mentioning these extra details.

> What is the full recipe to reproduce the problem, please?
[Damian Nadales]
So the recipe full recipe is:
 - launch emacs -Q
 - Create a buffer ``myorgfile.org``
 - Insert the following text:
   #+BEGIN_SRC C++

  #+END_SRC
- Position the cursor in the source code block (between the BEGIN and END directives)
- Press C-c ' (this will open a new buffer)
- Perform M-x c++-mode in the new buffer
- C-x k (kill the newly created buffer)
- You should see the error message now.

Let me know if there is anything else I could do.

Sorry for the vagueness in my first instructions.

Best regards,
Damian.

@ 2015-02-20 12:56           ` Damian Nadales
From: Damian Nadales @ 2015-02-20 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, Nicolas Richard
  Cc: 19887@debbugs.gnu.org, mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr

> > PMJI, but at
> <http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/95159>,
> > Nicolas Goaziou said "This should be fixed."
> >
> > Perhaps this bug report can simply be closed then ?
>
> If it's fixed, please close it.
[Damian Nadales]
Thanks for the fix.

I must add that I discovered the bug by accident. Normally I don't change the mode when editing an special org buffer.

Best,
Damian.

@ 2017-12-01 19:02             ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-12-01 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 19887; +Cc: Nicolas Richard, Eli Zaretskii, Damian Nadales

Hello,

Damian Nadales <damian.nadales@asml.com> writes:

> I must add that I discovered the bug by accident. Normally I don't
> change the mode when editing an special org buffer.

Since the issue is fixed, I'm closing this bug.

Nicolas Goaziou                                                0x80A93738