* org-note-abort
       [not found] <371527828.1457872.1523396932915.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2018-04-10 21:48 ` Brad Knotwell
From: Brad Knotwell @ 2018-04-10 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Good day all--
Earlier, I had written about the unreliability of adding a table-line.  Well, I ran into a similar problem with the (significantly simpler) entry capability.  Unlike the table-line, this was an easier debug and I determined that org-note-abort was set to t which ensures capture will always fail.
While I don't know exactly how I did it, I suspect it was something like the following:* edit a template, test it and find it isn't quite what you want* make an (incorrect) change that sets breaks on insertion, sets org-note-abort to t and you're stuck until you reset it to nil by hand (remarkably, I've had to do the same thing with inhibit-trace as well).
Searching the mailing list and looking at Google hasn't been any more illuminating on this.  It's important to note that while org-capture-kill sets org-note-abort to t, it's reset correctly when used in the normal way.
Version: 9.1.7
Thx and I'm guessing something similar happened with the table-line issue.
--Brad

* Re: org-note-abort
@ 2018-04-21 13:23   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-04-21 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Knotwell; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Brad Knotwell <bknotwell@yahoo.com> writes:

> Good day all--
> Earlier, I had written about the unreliability of adding
> a table-line.  Well, I ran into a similar problem with the
> (significantly simpler) entry capability.  Unlike the table-line, this
> was an easier debug and I determined that org-note-abort was set to
> t which ensures capture will always fail.
> While I don't know exactly how I did it, I suspect it was something
> like the following:* edit a template, test it and find it isn't quite
> what you want* make an (incorrect) change that sets breaks on
> insertion, sets org-note-abort to t and you're stuck until you reset
> it to nil by hand (remarkably, I've had to do the same thing with
> inhibit-trace as well).
> Searching the mailing list and looking at Google hasn't been any more
> illuminating on this.  It's important to note that while
> org-capture-kill sets org-note-abort to t, it's reset correctly when
> used in the normal way.
> Version: 9.1.7
> Thx and I'm guessing something similar happened with the table-line
> issue.

I pushed a fix in maint. Could you test it and report if it solves your
issue ?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: org-note-abort
@ 2018-04-22 16:12     ` Brad Knotwell
From: Brad Knotwell @ 2018-04-22 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

 Good day Nicolas--
I had some time to test your changes (though not fully as I never could figure out how to reproduce getting org-note-abort to stick at 't) and they appear to be working.  In doing so, I noticed the following behaviors on the table addition usecase:
* regarding my earlier email that the table row was inconsistently added to the file...I now understand how to make it work consistently.  If  your "saved point" is *anywhere* in the file up to the start (inclusive) of the last line, your row will be added as you expect.  However, if your point is even one character position forward, a new table will be created.* adding a row and aborting it (Ctrl-X Ctrl-K) on aquamacs is always unable to clean itself up in the table case.Thoughts on both issues:
* I thought this might be due to an interaction with desktop mode (or maybe it's aquamacs specific) and that I could workaround it by excluding the target file by customizing desktop-buffers-not-to-save.  Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to work and it's possible a code change is necessary.* When things work, this isn't a big deal as you can easily fixup/delete the row yourself.  However, when you hit the previous issue, you need to separately edit the file by hand.

Thanks for the fixes.

@ 2018-04-29 22:54       ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-04-29 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Knotwell; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Brad Knotwell <bknotwell@yahoo.com> writes:

> I had some time to test your changes (though not fully as I never
> could figure out how to reproduce getting org-note-abort to stick at
> 't) and they appear to be working.  In doing so, I noticed the
> following behaviors on the table addition usecase:
> * regarding my earlier email that the table row was inconsistently
> added to the file...I now understand how to make it work
> consistently.  If  your "saved point" is *anywhere* in the file up to
> the start (inclusive) of the last line, your row will be added as you
> expect.  However, if your point is even one character position
> forward, a new table will be created.

This one should be fixed in master. Thank you.

Nicolas Goaziou                                                0x80A93738