Karl Fogel writes: > Thank you, Adam -- I didn't know about those. I had searched for > something like that before implementing my own, but I think I searched > using the term "heading" or something instead of "outline", > unfortunately, so I never found them. Org is like Emacs in that it has many nooks and crannies that even experienced users are unfamiliar with. There's always something more to discover. > Now that I know about `org-display-outline-path', the one improvement > I'd like to make is to enable it to display the headings with > per-level indentation, and treat the first level specially (with an > anchoring dot instead of a directional arrow), as my code did. It's a > lot more readable that way displayed in the minibuffer. You might consider adjusting your fontification settings. The single-line outline path can be quite readable with the right faces (see attached example).