Hello Timothy, TEC writes: > Hello Russell, Amin, > > Thanks for giving me your thoughts on the idea :) > Your responses have lead me to think that this may lead somewhere. > :-) [...] > > Amin Bandali writes: >> Hello, > Hi :) > >> While we wait for Bastien and others to chime in, per your question >> in your original proposal email, if you have not seen it already, >> the repository containing the sources for the current Org website >> seems to be at . > > I wasn't aware of that! Thank you very much for bringing it to my > attention. > You're very welcome! > >> If you have some time, perhaps consider making a quick demo of one >> revamped page, to give folks an idea of what sort of changes you >> imagine? > > I may just have a go at whipping up a 'revamped' index page, I'll let > you all know how that goes. > Please do, and thanks in advance for working on it. Looking forward to seeing it what comes of it. :-) > >> I think the overall design of the Org website is fine, but it could >> use well-thought out enhancements to make browsing around and >> discovering things easier. That said, I personally wouldn't be >> opposed to a bit of a revamp, if the site continues to work well >> without JS and continue to be accessible in text-based browsers >> (like EWW and Lynx). > > As I said earlier, I see no reason for the Org site to be much more > than a simple static page ... just in need of a bit of massaging into > a more aesthetically pleasing shape. > > ----- > > While this may seem like a relatively minor pursuit in the scheme of > things, it is (or at least was in my case) the landing page for the > feature that can draw one into Emacs. > > For the sake of curious individuals who aren't sure what to expect, I > think it's worth some effort to make their first impression lean more > towards "Org is a novel and exciting format, ahead of it's time" than > "Org is some old and crufty format that hasn't received much love" :P > > While obviously that goes far beyond the styling of orgmode.org, I do > honestly think that it plays a part. > +1. Speaking of Emacs, I quite like the design Nicolas Petton did for a few years back. It has a few different templates, which I think lend themselves well to pages with various purposes. For instance, I used one to create the ERC page a while ago. Perhaps something carrying some resemblance and familiarity of the Emacs web pages would be a good idea to start with? > > All the best, > > Timothy. Cheers, amin