Arthur Miller writes: > Christopher Dimech writes: > >> If org-mode wants to support ditaa, it is a requirement to inform the user how to >> get the software and install it. Moving into into a separate repository without >> appropriately telling the user introduces the problem that users will miss out >> on free software that they would otherwise have used. Using org should not be made >> more difficult than it already is. >> > Another problem I didn't mention in previous replay, is that user can > have wrong (outdated) version of Java installed on his/her machine which > might not be compatible with ditaa version org mode ships, which may > introduce further questions and problems. IMO I think it is better to > leave out 3rd party applications and let users install those on their > own. The old version should just keep working. It requires a Java older than Java 8, and Java 8 is available everywhere. For the new releases that is less clear, since ditaa is adding Clojure. I would bundle the old version to keep old documents working (I do not want org-mode to be volatile software[1] that breaks existing documents with an update), but notify the user that a new version exists. [1]: https://stevelosh.com/blog/2012/04/volatile-software/ Best wishes, Arne -- Unpolitisch sein heißt politisch sein ohne es zu merken