From: "Juan Manuel Macías" <maciaschain@posteo.net>
To: Maxim Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com>
Cc: orgmode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: org-mode export to (latex) PDF
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 14:27:29 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi Maxim,

I think the problem is not the fact that I may be inclined towards book
typesetting but that TeX itself and its workflow is inclined towards
book typesetting. This fact is something that must be taken into account
and that many LaTeX users sometimes forget. The concept of a 'fallback
font' is still something exotic for the TeX working method, despite that
LuaTeX can access TeX primitives using scripting in lua and can achieve
things like that, at the cost of resources. For example, the fontspec
package provides the conditional \IfFontExists{font}{True code}{False
code} which consumes a lot of resources.

Anyway, I would dare to recommend these two possibilities:

a) If you want to define a list of fallback fonts for the LaTeX
process, IMHO should be done org-centric with Elisp (something for
pdfTeX, XeTeX and LuaTeX. I'm afraid this would be a lot of work and too
much cholesterol for Org Mode, though).

b) However, my preference is something that has already been comented in
this thread: add to the documentation (or to Worg web site) a (not too
long) list of recommended fonts for different languages: of course,
fonts that are freely licensed and accessible to everyone. In any
collaborative work in LaTeX I find it's much more simple to share an
easily accessible and free (as in freedom) font than to add a list of
fallback fonts to the documents via code (a true bloat for TeX). The
LaTeX Font Catalogue includes lots of very good quality fonts. For
example, TeX Live includes an excellent font with support for Greek,
Cyrillic and Linguistics: Old Standard, originally designed by prof.
Alexey Kryukov and currently maintained by Robert Alessi:
https://www.ctan.org/pkg/oldstandard (I don't work on Cyrillic and I can
not comment on that aspect: I use this font more for Greek; but it is
often said that Old Standard is one of the best and most documented
options to represent Cyrillic).

Best regards,

Juan Manuel