* Custom function for killing the thing at point
@ 2021-08-13 22:29 Rodrigo Morales
From: Rodrigo Morales @ 2021-08-13 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I just created this function for copying the thing under the cursor (it
works for some #+BEGIN blocks and links). I think it would be useful for
others, so I'm creating this post for getting feedback on the Elisp code
and sharing it to those interested.

#+BEGIN_SRC elisp
(defun my/org-kill-thing-at-point ()
  "Kill the thing at point.

The following things are currently supported

- #+BEGIN_SRC <<any>>
- #+BEGIN_EXPORT <<any>>
- #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE <<any>>
- #+BEGIN_COMMENT
- Org links (the description is not copied)"
  (interactive)
  (let* (content
         (element (org-element-context))
         (type (org-element-type element)))
    (cond ((or (eq type 'src-block)
               (eq type 'export-block)
               (eq type 'example-block)
               (eq type 'comment-block))
           (setq content (plist-get (cadr element) :value)))
          ((eq type 'link)
           (setq content (plist-get (cadr element) :raw-link)))
          (t
           (error "The element at point couldn't be copied.")))
    (my/kill-new content)))
#+END_SRC

#+BEGIN_SRC elisp
(define-key org-mode-map (kbd "C-c c") 'my/org-kill-thing-at-point)
#+END_SRC