From: "Juan Manuel Macías" <maciaschain@posteo.net>
To: meedstrom@teknik.io
Cc: orgmode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: LaTeX export: grffile is a stub package
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 17:00:10 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi,

meedstrom@teknik.io writes:

> According to https://ctan.org/pkg/grffile, since 2019-11-08, grffile
> is a stub that just loads graphicx, part of texlive-latex-graphics,
> part of texlive-base. My system (Guix) doesn't have a package for
> grffile, so I can't generate a PDF, which is silly because it's a stub
> anyway.
>
> Suggest fixing by removing \usepackage{grffile} in LaTeX export.
>
> A caveat: some distributions seem to still package an old TeXLive full
> distribution, going by Guix which provides a three-gigabyte "texlive"
> package from 2019-04-10. I'm not sure what sort of deprecation time we
> allow.

grffile is a deprecated LaTeX package, but it is included in TeX live
2021 (Arch). The Arch version of TeXlive is identical to the official
version (except that it does not include the documentation, which must
be installed using an AUR package). My recommendation: unless you are in
Arch or one of its derivatives, it is better to always install *the
official and lastest version* of TeX live (with its own installer and
its own package manager); the versions included in the repositories of
many distros (except for Arch and very few others) are usually outdated
or incomplete, and it is better to avoid them. The current version of
TeXlive is TeXlive 2021. There is, by tradition, a version per year and
in each one many things are modified and quite bugs fixed.

Best regards,

Juan Manuel