* A function to perform Org related searches in several places
@ 2022-10-05  9:49 Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2022-10-05  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: orgmode

Hi all,

For my personal use I have written a function which performs Org related
searches in different places. The list of places is expandable, but so
far I found them useful: this mailing list, the Org Manual (via org-ql),
the Git log and the Org Reddit. The idea was that everything would be
done without leaving Emacs confort, so the results from the internet are
returned in EWW.

Before entering the search term, it defaults to the word at point or the
marked region.

The function has two versions. The first version does not depend on any
external packages to display the options. The second version includes a
simple hydra. The hydra version has the advantage that you can have the
hydra buffer open and continue running more searches on the same term. I
don’t know if it’s very orthodox to include the definition of the hydra
inside the function (I would say no, I don’t know), but I couldn’t think
of another way to pass the argument to the different heads of the hydra…

It’s homemade and improvable code, but I’m attaching it here in an Org
document, in case someone finds it useful :-).

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

[-- Attachment #2: function.org --]
[-- Type: application/vnd.lotus-organizer, Size: 2915 bytes --]

* Re: A function to perform Org related searches in several places
@ 2022-10-06  5:42 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-10-06  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Manuel Macías; +Cc: orgmode

Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:

> For my personal use I have written a function which performs Org related
> searches in different places. The list of places is expandable, but so
> far I found them useful: this mailing list, the Org Manual (via org-ql),
> the Git log and the Org Reddit. The idea was that everything would be
> done without leaving Emacs confort, so the results from the internet are
> returned in EWW.
>
> Before entering the search term, it defaults to the word at point or the
> marked region.

I am using helm source for similar purposes.
The advantage is displaying live results.
I use Info search + helm-org-ql + live git query + notmuch query for the
mailing list.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,