* org-fstree.el overview over directories (but no comments are possible)
@ 2022-10-30  9:49 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-10-30  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

This
 <http://www.burtzlaff.de/org-fstree/org-fstree.el>

seems to be quite old code
but the following still produces a nice overview over the directory
structure in and org file
#+begin_src
#+begin_fstree: /home/oub/tmp/Example-tree :non-recursive nil

** | | [[file:/home/oub/tmp/Example-tree/README.org][README.org]]
** |D| [[file:/home/oub/tmp/Example-tree/Sheet1][Sheet1]]
*** | | [[file:/home/oub/tmp/Example-tree/Sheet1/test.org][test.org]]
** |D| [[file:/home/oub/tmp/Example-tree/Sheet2][Sheet2]]
** |D| [[file:/home/oub/tmp/Example-tree/Sheet3][Sheet3]]

#+end_fstree:
#+end_src

The only problem is one cannot add comments in the sense when the tree
is updated everything gets replaced
as indicated:

;;   - when triggering an update (by pressing "C-c C-c" while in the line mentioned above)
;;     the COMPLETE REGION BETWEEN "#+BEGIN_FSTREE" AND "#+END_FSTREE" IS REPLACED.
;;   - speed

So I am wondering. Is there any new package or an update I am not aware
of that would allow adding comments?

Regards

Uwe Brauer

--
Warning: Content may be disturbing to some audiences
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against the Ukraine.

* Re: org-fstree.el overview over directories (but no comments are possible)
@ 2022-10-30 12:52 ` Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2022-10-30 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: orgmode

Uwe Brauer writes:

> The only problem is one cannot add comments in the sense when the tree
> is updated everything gets replaced
> as indicated:
>
> ;;   - when triggering an update (by pressing "C-c C-c" while in the line mentioned above)
> ;;     the COMPLETE REGION BETWEEN "#+BEGIN_FSTREE" AND "#+END_FSTREE" IS REPLACED.
> ;;   - speed
>

> So I am wondering. Is there any new package or an update I am not aware
> of that would allow adding comments?

Hi Uwe,

I tried this package a long time ago, and I found the problems you
mention. I noticed also that in large directories it took a eternity to
create the Org nodes. The idea of the package is not bad, but I did not
find a practical use for it. I currently have dired-subtree-toggle
installed, which allows expanding and collapsing dired directories, and
assigned these keyboard shortcuts to it:

  (with-eval-after-load 'dired
    (define-key dired-mode-map (kbd "<tab>") 'dired-subtree-toggle)
    (define-key dired-mode-map (kbd "C-<tab>") 'dired-subtree-cycle))

As to whether there is any new package that does the same thing as
org-fstree, AFAIK I don't think so. Out of curiosity, what use case
would you give to such a package?

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

* Re: org-fstree.el overview over directories (but no comments are possible)
@ 2022-10-30 13:10   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-10-30 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>> "JMM" == Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:
Hi Juan,

> Uwe Brauer writes:
>> The only problem is one cannot add comments in the sense when the tree
>> is updated everything gets replaced
>> as indicated:
>>
>> ;;   - when triggering an update (by pressing "C-c C-c" while in the line mentioned above)
>> ;;     the COMPLETE REGION BETWEEN "#+BEGIN_FSTREE" AND "#+END_FSTREE" IS REPLACED.
>> ;;   - speed
>>

>> So I am wondering. Is there any new package or an update I am not aware
>> of that would allow adding comments?

> Hi Uwe,

> I tried this package a long time ago, and I found the problems you
> mention. I noticed also that in large directories it took a eternity to
> create the Org nodes. The idea of the package is not bad, but I did not
> find a practical use for it. I currently have dired-subtree-toggle
> installed, which allows expanding and collapsing dired directories, and
> assigned these keyboard shortcuts to it:

>   (with-eval-after-load 'dired
>     (define-key dired-mode-map (kbd "<tab>") 'dired-subtree-toggle)
>     (define-key dired-mode-map (kbd "C-<tab>") 'dired-subtree-cycle))

> As to whether there is any new package that does the same thing as
> org-fstree, AFAIK I don't think so.

Well I found one
https://github.com/ScriptDevil/org-fs-tree

But again I cannot add comments, nor seems there be a update function.

> Out of curiosity, what use case would you give to such a package?

Well, since I tend to forget things, and it is very time consuming to
open files and see what is the basic content, I thought of adding to
each directory (with subdirectories if necessary) I find useful a
README.org file, that contains a

    1. Tree of the directory and

    1. a short description of the content of each file

I use bookmarks.el but that is an entirely different  workflow, since I
there only save files that I find useful, but sometimes I stumble across
a directory  I created  some time ago and don't recall the content of
each file.

--
Warning: Content may be disturbing to some audiences
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against the Ukraine.
I support the ban of Russia from SWIFT.
I support the EU membership of the Ukraine.
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/gmail-conversation-view/

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: org-fstree.el overview over directories (but no comments are possible)
@ 2022-10-30 13:56     ` Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2022-10-30 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: orgmode

Uwe Brauer writes:

> Well, since I tend to forget things, and it is very time consuming to
> open files and see what is the basic content, I thought of adding to
> each directory (with subdirectories if necessary) I find useful a
> README.org file, that contains a
>
>     1. Tree of the directory and
>
>     1. a short description of the content of each file
>
> I use bookmarks.el but that is an entirely different  workflow, since I
> there only save files that I find useful, but sometimes I stumble across
> a directory  I created  some time ago and don't recall the content of
> each file.

I see. It's not exactly what you're looking for, but I often use
filetags.el (https://github.com/DerBeutlin/filetags.el) which allows you
to add tags to files and directories in Dired. You can add multiple
tags, remove or update them. It's not a panacea, because the tags are
added directly to the file/directory name (as part of the name, I mean),
but in general it's enough for me when I want to have a file tagged in
some way. I can then locate this files by tag names using helm-locate.

Perhaps a kind of ''dired-org-view'' could be interesting, to display a
dired directory as an Org buffer, where you could add (persistent) TODO
states, notes and tags. Well, it's a sudden occurrence, I don't know to
what extent it is feasible, but in case someone feels inspired... :-)

You also have this package (haven't tried it):
https://github.com/Boruch-Baum/emacs-diredc Adds a lot of functionality
to Dired, including file preview.

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

* Re: org-fstree.el overview over directories (but no comments are possible)
@ 2022-10-30 14:01       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-10-30 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Manuel Macías; +Cc: Uwe Brauer, orgmode

> Uwe Brauer writes:

> I see. It's not exactly what you're looking for, but I often use
> filetags.el (https://github.com/DerBeutlin/filetags.el) which allows you
> to add tags to files and directories in Dired. You can add multiple
> tags, remove or update them. It's not a panacea, because the tags are
> added directly to the file/directory name (as part of the name, I mean),
> but in general it's enough for me when I want to have a file tagged in
> some way. I can then locate this files by tag names using helm-locate.

> Perhaps a kind of ''dired-org-view'' could be interesting, to display a
> dired directory as an Org buffer, where you could add (persistent) TODO
> states, notes and tags. Well, it's a sudden occurrence, I don't know to
> what extent it is feasible, but in case someone feels inspired... :-)

> You also have this package (haven't tried it):
> https://github.com/Boruch-Baum/emacs-diredc Adds a lot of functionality
> to Dired, including file preview.

> Best regards,

Thanks I will give it a try, meanwhile I am trying filetree (in Melpa)
that allows you to add notes to files, but it seems you have to open the
files in order to add the notes, which is not what I am looking for, but
maybe I miss something.

--

@ 2022-10-30 15:40         ` Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2022-10-30 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: orgmode

Uwe Brauer writes:

> Thanks I will give it a try, meanwhile I am trying filetree (in Melpa)
> that allows you to add notes to files, but it seems you have to open the
> files in order to add the notes, which is not what I am looking for

Interesting package, I didn't know about it... Have you ever tried it? I
just installed it, but M-x filetree-load-cmd-menu returns a 'Wrong type
argument: number-or-marker-p, list'. When I run toggle-debug-on-error It
seems it's a transient related problem...

hmm, I think the notes functionality that this package includes is more
in the league of org-remark or org-noter, i.e. to add notes to the file
content, but not a comment to the file itself, which I think is more
what you search. But I am not sure.

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

* Re: org-fstree.el overview over directories (but no comments are possible)
@ 2022-10-30 16:42           ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-10-30 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Manuel Macías; +Cc: Uwe Brauer, orgmode

>>> "JMM" == Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:

> Uwe Brauer writes:
>> Thanks I will give it a try, meanwhile I am trying filetree (in Melpa)
>> that allows you to add notes to files, but it seems you have to open the
>> files in order to add the notes, which is not what I am looking for

> Interesting package, I didn't know about it... Have you ever tried it? I
> just installed it, but M-x filetree-load-cmd-menu returns a 'Wrong type
> argument: number-or-marker-p, list'. When I run toggle-debug-on-error It
> seems it's a transient related problem...

Hm it works for me (emacs master git may),

> hmm, I think the notes functionality that this package includes is more
> in the league of org-remark or org-noter, i.e. to add notes to the file
> content, but not a comment to the file itself, which I think is more
> what you search. But I am not sure.

I think you are right, I will open an issue on the authors github page.

BTW I played a bit with filetags. It is ok, but I would like to add some
more information, usually a line or so a tag is a bit sparse I must say.
Hm

--

@ 2022-10-30 17:16       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-10-30 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Manuel Macías; +Cc: Uwe Brauer, orgmode

Hi
> Uwe Brauer writes:

> I see. It's not exactly what you're looking for, but I often use
> filetags.el (https://github.com/DerBeutlin/filetags.el) which allows you
> to add tags to files and directories in Dired. You can add multiple
> tags, remove or update them. It's not a panacea, because the tags are
> added directly to the file/directory name (as part of the name, I mean),
> but in general it's enough for me when I want to have a file tagged in
> some way. I can then locate this files by tag names using helm-locate.

Hm I played around with filetags and it is quite nice, I think, thanks
for pointing it out to me.

I would be extremely interested how you use helm-locate in that context,
and you give me an example, please?

For example I have the following tags added to a specific directory
bio-hoja4 -- EDO Uwe.tex
and
h1A_ECM_n -- analysis1.tex

How would I use helm-locate to search those tags?

Uwe

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: org-fstree.el overview over directories (but no comments are possible)
@ 2022-10-30 18:17         ` Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2022-10-30 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: orgmode

Uwe Brauer writes:

> Hm I played around with filetags and it is quite nice, I think, thanks
> for pointing it out to me.
>
> I would be extremely interested how you use helm-locate in that context,
> and you give me an example, please?
>
> For example I have the following tags added to a specific directory
> bio-hoja4 -- EDO Uwe.tex
> and
> h1A_ECM_n -- analysis1.tex
>
> How would I use helm-locate to search those tags?

At first I used a controlled vocabulary for the tags, setting the
variables filetags-enforce-controlled-vocabulary and
filetags-controlled-vocabulary. But I was getting some false positives.
So it occurred to me to configure this other variable like this:

(setq filetags-delimiter-between-filename-and-tags "%ftag_")

This way, if I start typing in helm-locate %ftag_ I already start
getting more accurate results. Like I said, it's not a panacea, but it
more or less does the trick :-)

BTW, i don't use helm-locate directly but helm-mini with a number of
sources related to buffers, markers, and files:

(setq helm-mini-default-sources '(helm-source-buffers-list
				  helm-source-recentf
				  helm-source-buffer-not-found
				  helm-source-bookmarks
				  helm-source-bookmark-set
				  helm-source-locate))

So with a single call to helm-mini I can get information about open
buffers, recent files, bookmarks, and locate.

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

* Re: org-fstree.el overview over directories (but no comments are possible)
@ 2022-10-30 18:48           ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-10-30 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Manuel Macías; +Cc: Uwe Brauer, orgmode

> Uwe Brauer writes:

> At first I used a controlled vocabulary for the tags, setting the
> variables filetags-enforce-controlled-vocabulary and
> filetags-controlled-vocabulary. But I was getting some false positives.
> So it occurred to me to configure this other variable like this:

> (setq filetags-delimiter-between-filename-and-tags "%ftag_")

> This way, if I start typing in helm-locate %ftag_ I already start
> getting more accurate results. Like I said, it's not a panacea, but it
> more or less does the trick :-)

> BTW, i don't use helm-locate directly but helm-mini with a number of
> sources related to buffers, markers, and files:

> (setq helm-mini-default-sources '(helm-source-buffers-list
> 				  helm-source-recentf
> 				  helm-source-buffer-not-found
> 				  helm-source-bookmarks
> 				  helm-source-bookmark-set
> 				  helm-source-locate))

> So with a single call to helm-mini I can get information about open
> buffers, recent files, bookmarks, and locate.

Thanks, but hm

I tried now

(setq filetags-enforce-controlled-vocabulary t)
(setq filetags-delimiter-between-filename-and-tags "%ftag_")
(setq filetags-controlled-vocabulary '(("winter" "summer")
                                       ("EDO") ("analysis1" "analysis2")))

(setq helm-mini-default-sources '(helm-source-buffers-list
                                  helm-source-recentf
                                  helm-source-buffer-not-found
                                  helm-source-bookmarks
                                  helm-source-bookmark-set
                                  helm-source-locate))

But,

I have a file called bio-hoja4%ftag_EDO Uwe.pdf

I use helm-locate and type %ftag_
but I receive nothing found see the screenshot.

 helm-min

And typing %ftag  also does not work,

What do I miss?

Uwe

--
Warning: Content may be disturbing to some audiences
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against the Ukraine.
I support the ban of Russia from SWIFT.
I support the EU membership of the Ukraine.
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/gmail-conversation-view/

[-- Attachment #1.2: tag.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 131929 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: org-fstree.el overview over directories (but no comments are possible)
@ 2022-10-30 19:04             ` Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2022-10-30 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: orgmode

Uwe Brauer writes:

> I have a file called bio-hoja4%ftag_EDO Uwe.pdf
>
> I use helm-locate and type %ftag_
> but I receive nothing found see the screenshot.
>

>  helm-min
>
> And typing %ftag  also does not work,
>
> What do I miss?

Ah, sorry, I thought you used helm-locate before. helm-locate depends on
the GNU/Linux 'locate' program. You have to install it. I don't know
what distro you use, but the package is usually called mlocate or
plocate (these are two different implementations of locate). I have
mlocate installed on Arch Linux. According to the Arch wiki:

------------
- mlocate (Merging Locate) is a more secure version of the locate utility,
that only shows files accessible to the user.

- plocate (Posting Locate) is a locate based on posting lists, consuming
mlocates database ahead-of-time and making a much faster (and smaller)
index out of it.
------------

Generally, when you install locate it is automatically configured so
that the database is updated every time you start a session. If you want
to update it in the middle of a session, you must execute the updatedb
command with sudo in the terminal.

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

* Re: org-fstree.el overview over directories (but no comments are possible)
@ 2022-10-30 19:21               ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-10-30 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Manuel Macías; +Cc: Uwe Brauer, orgmode

>>> "JMM" == Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:

> Uwe Brauer writes:
>> I have a file called bio-hoja4%ftag_EDO Uwe.pdf
>>
>> I use helm-locate and type %ftag_
>> but I receive nothing found see the screenshot.
>>

>> helm-min
>>
>> And typing %ftag  also does not work,
>>
>> What do I miss?

> Ah, sorry, I thought you used helm-locate before. helm-locate depends on
> the GNU/Linux 'locate' program. You have to install it. I don't know
> what distro you use, but the package is usually called mlocate or
> plocate (these are two different implementations of locate). I have
> mlocate installed on Arch Linux. According to the Arch wiki:

> ------------
> - mlocate (Merging Locate) is a more secure version of the locate utility,
> that only shows files accessible to the user.

> - plocate (Posting Locate) is a locate based on posting lists, consuming
> mlocates database ahead-of-time and making a much faster (and smaller)
> index out of it.
> ------------

> Generally, when you install locate it is automatically configured so
> that the database is updated every time you start a session. If you want
> to update it in the middle of a session, you must execute the updatedb
> command with sudo in the terminal.

Ah, well I have installed locate (mlocate to be precise, I am using
Ubuntu)

And I have used locate in the past, nevertheless

 helm-locate keeps failing and giving me the screenshot I attached in my
 earlier message, so some sort of bug in helm-locate for Ubuntu?

Uwe

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* [correction] (was: org-fstree.el overview over directories (but no comments are possible))
@ 2022-10-30 19:26                 ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-10-30 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: Juan Manuel Macías, orgmode

> Ah, well I have installed locate (mlocate to be precise, I am using
> Ubuntu)

> And I have used locate in the past, nevertheless

>  helm-locate keeps failing and giving me the screenshot I attached in my
>  earlier message, so some sort of bug in helm-locate for Ubuntu?

I tried it again,

Maybe the fact that run sudo updatedb
made the difference, it seems that the update is not done automatically.

Be it as it may

 helm-locate finds %ftag_

But not not -- which is the
(setq filetags-delimiter-between-filename-and-tags " -- ")

orginal setting, hm, not sure why this is so

--
Warning: Content may be disturbing to some audiences
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against the Ukraine.
I support the ban of Russia from SWIFT.
I support the EU membership of the Ukraine.
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/gmail-conversation-view/

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: [correction]
@ 2022-10-30 19:51                   ` Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2022-10-30 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: orgmode

Uwe Brauer writes:

> But not not -- which is the
> (setq filetags-delimiter-between-filename-and-tags " -- ")
>
> orginal setting, hm, not sure why this is so

I think locate can't look for things like " -- "; Also, it's too
generic. It is safer to use alphanumeric characters. For example, if you
prefer something shorter, you can do:

(setq filetags-delimiter-between-filename-and-tags " @@ ")

That should be found by locate.

Regarding the updatedb issue, it seems that in Ubuntu you have to do it
manually. You would have to edit the crontab file. See:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/203597/how-do-i-run-updatedb-everyday

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

* Re: [correction]
@ 2022-10-30 21:23                     ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-10-30 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Manuel Macías; +Cc: Uwe Brauer, orgmode

>>> "JMM" == Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:

> Uwe Brauer writes:
>> But not not -- which is the
>> (setq filetags-delimiter-between-filename-and-tags " -- ")
>>
>> orginal setting, hm, not sure why this is so

> I think locate can't look for things like " -- "; Also, it's too
> generic. It is safer to use alphanumeric characters. For example, if you
> prefer something shorter, you can do:

> (setq filetags-delimiter-between-filename-and-tags " @@ ")

I see, thanks. Last most likely trivial question, where, in which file
does filetags save the relevant information, i.e tags

Uwe

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: [correction]
@ 2022-10-31 12:22                       ` Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2022-10-31 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: orgmode

Uwe Brauer writes:

> I see, thanks. Last most likely trivial question, where, in which file
> does filetags save the relevant information, i.e tags

I haven't looked at the code, but I imagine that the information is
stored in the variables I mentioned before, when you use a controlled
vocabulary for the tags. You can also store them in a .filetags file.
See: https://github.com/DerBeutlin/filetags.el#usage

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

* Re: [correction]
@ 2022-10-31 12:55                         ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-10-31 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Manuel Macías; +Cc: Uwe Brauer, orgmode

>>> "JMM" == Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:

> Uwe Brauer writes:
>> I see, thanks. Last most likely trivial question, where, in which file
>> does filetags save the relevant information, i.e tags

> I haven't looked at the code, but I imagine that the information is
> stored in the variables I mentioned before, when you use a controlled
> vocabulary for the tags. You can also store them in a .filetags file.
> See: https://github.com/DerBeutlin/filetags.el#usage

Thanks, just some comments.

I played bit with the format of the separators.

    1. I don't want space in my file names, so I set
       (setq filetags-delimiter-between-tags "_")

    2. I want filetags-delimiter-between-filename-and-tags to be

       - Clearly visiable

       - Easily to find

       - not in conflict with other programs.

       - So I tried (setq filetags-delimiter-between-filename-and-tags
         "_**_")  not good for searching

       - "_::_" is not very visiable

       - "_##_" is in conflict with the latexviewers when you have
         forward and backward search on in pdf files.

       - "_&&_" seems to be ok but I am not entirely sure about it

Any comments?

Regards

Uwe

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: [correction]
@ 2022-10-31 15:08                           ` Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2022-10-31 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: orgmode

Uwe Brauer writes:

>        - "_&&_" seems to be ok but I am not entirely sure about it

"&&" will give you trouble if you manipulate the file in a shell,
because it will be understood as the '&&' operator. You would have to
use escape characters.

Maybe "@@" or "%%" are safer choices. Look at this screenshot:

https://i.imgur.com/eGXepU3.png

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

* Re: [correction]
@ 2022-10-31 15:48                             ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-10-31 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Manuel Macías; +Cc: Uwe Brauer, orgmode

%% does not work for auctex, so I think I try @@, I hope it does not collide with anything fancy......

--

@ 2022-10-31 16:23                               ` Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2022-10-31 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: orgmode

Uwe Brauer writes:

> %% does not work for auctex, so I think I try @@, I hope it does not collide with anything fancy......

You can also set a text string, like _ftags_, and to hide it when you're
in Dired, add a function to the dired-mode-hook that displays an overlay
instead of that string, with some fancy unicode symbol separated by
spaces. Something like this:

(defun overlay-dired-filetags ()
  (save-excursion
    (goto-char (point-min))
    (while
	(re-search-forward "\\(_ftag_\\)" nil t)
      (let
	  ((ov (make-overlay (match-beginning 1) (match-end 1)))
	   (tag (propertize " ⚜ " 'face 'bold)))
	(overlay-put ov 'overlay-tag t)
	(overlay-put ov 'display tag)))))

However, in large directories I don't know how that would affect
performance.

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

* Re: [correction]
@ 2022-10-31 16:33                                 ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-10-31 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Manuel Macías; +Cc: Uwe Brauer, orgmode

>>> "JMM" == Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:

> Uwe Brauer writes:
>> %% does not work for auctex, so I think I try @@, I hope it does not collide with anything fancy......

> You can also set a text string, like _ftags_, and to hide it when you're
> in Dired, add a function to the dired-mode-hook that displays an overlay
> instead of that string, with some fancy unicode symbol separated by
> spaces. Something like this:

> (defun overlay-dired-filetags ()
>   (save-excursion
>     (goto-char (point-min))
>     (while
> 	(re-search-forward "\\(_ftag_\\)" nil t)
>       (let
> 	  ((ov (make-overlay (match-beginning 1) (match-end 1)))
> 	   (tag (propertize " ⚜ " 'face 'bold)))
> 	(overlay-put ov 'overlay-tag t)
> 	(overlay-put ov 'display tag)))))

Very nice thanks, I might try that out later....

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: [correction]
@ 2022-10-31 16:58                                 ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-10-31 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Manuel Macías; +Cc: Uwe Brauer, orgmode

>>> "JMM" == Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:

> Uwe Brauer writes:
>> %% does not work for auctex, so I think I try @@, I hope it does not collide with anything fancy......

> You can also set a text string, like _ftags_, and to hide it when you're
> in Dired, add a function to the dired-mode-hook that displays an overlay
> instead of that string, with some fancy unicode symbol separated by
> spaces. Something like this:

> (defun overlay-dired-filetags ()
>   (save-excursion
>     (goto-char (point-min))
>     (while
> 	(re-search-forward "\\(_ftag_\\)" nil t)
>       (let
> 	  ((ov (make-overlay (match-beginning 1) (match-end 1)))
> 	   (tag (propertize " ⚜ " 'face 'bold)))
> 	(overlay-put ov 'overlay-tag t)
> 	(overlay-put ov 'display tag)))))

> However, in large directories I don't know how that would affect
> performance.

Hm I tried out

(defun overlay-dired-filetags ()
  (save-excursion
    (goto-char (point-min))
    (while
	(re-search-forward "\\(_ftag_\\)" nil t)
      (let
	  ((ov (make-overlay (match-beginning 1) (match-end 1)))
	   (tag (propertize " ⚜ " 'face 'bold)))
	(overlay-put ov 'overlay-tag t)
	(overlay-put ov 'display tag)))))

(add-hook 'dired-mode-hook 'overlay-dired-filetags)

But
my-auctex-init_ftag_emacs.el

Still gets displayed as
my-auctex-init_ftag_emacs.el

What do I miss?

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: [correction]
@ 2022-10-31 17:35                                   ` Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2022-10-31 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: orgmode

Uwe Brauer writes:

> Still gets displayed as
> my-auctex-init_ftag_emacs.el
>
> What do I miss?

You're right, sorry. I'm afraid I was too hasty and the code from the
other message, as I put it, will never work :-).

You can test how it looks, however, if you evaluate the function in a
dired buffer, but the moment you revert the buffer the overlay is lost,
as expected.

That has to be solved in another way. Perhaps some code from the
all-the-icons-dired package can be reused.

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

* Re: [correction]
@ 2022-10-31 17:38                                     ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-10-31 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Manuel Macías; +Cc: Uwe Brauer, orgmode

>>> "JMM" == Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:

> Uwe Brauer writes:
>> Still gets displayed as
>> my-auctex-init_ftag_emacs.el
>>
>> What do I miss?

> You're right, sorry. I'm afraid I was too hasty and the code from the
> other message, as I put it, will never work :-).

> You can test how it looks, however, if you evaluate the function in a
> dired buffer, but the moment you revert the buffer the overlay is lost,
> as expected.

Right, that I can confirm

Don't worry, for the moment _@@  is fine for me

--

@ 2022-10-31 21:01                                       ` Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2022-10-31 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: orgmode

Uwe Brauer writes:

> Don't worry, for the moment _@@  is fine for me

I think with font-lock-add-keywords it should work. I have put another
overlay on the tags, so that they are seen inside a box, separated by
":".

(defun overlay-dired-filetags (&optional lim)
  (when
      (re-search-forward "\\(_ftag_\\)\\(.+\\)" lim t)
    (let
        ((ov (make-overlay (match-beginning 1) (match-end 1)))
         (tag (propertize " ⚜ " 'face 'bold))
         (ov-2 (make-overlay (match-beginning 2) (match-end 2)))
         (tags (propertize (replace-regexp-in-string
                            "_"
                            ":"
                            (match-string 2))
                           'font-lock-face
                           '(:foreground "red" :box t))))
      (overlay-put ov 'overlay-tag t)
      (overlay-put ov 'display tag)
      (overlay-put ov-2 'overlay-tag-2 t)
      (overlay-put ov-2 'display tags))))

(font-lock-add-keywords
 'dired-mode
 '((overlay-dired-filetags (0  'font-lock-keyword-face t)))
 t)

* Re: [correction]
@ 2022-11-01  7:13                                         ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-11-01  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Manuel Macías; +Cc: Uwe Brauer, orgmode

>>> "JMM" == Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:

> Uwe Brauer writes:
>> Don't worry, for the moment _@@  is fine for me

> I think with font-lock-add-keywords it should work. I have put another
> overlay on the tags, so that they are seen inside a box, separated by
> ":".

> (defun overlay-dired-filetags (&optional lim)
>   (when
>       (re-search-forward "\\(_ftag_\\)\\(.+\\)" lim t)
>     (let
>         ((ov (make-overlay (match-beginning 1) (match-end 1)))
>          (tag (propertize " ⚜ " 'face 'bold))
>          (ov-2 (make-overlay (match-beginning 2) (match-end 2)))
>          (tags (propertize (replace-regexp-in-string
>                             "_"
>                             ":"
>                             (match-string 2))
>                            'font-lock-face
>                            '(:foreground "red" :box t))))
>       (overlay-put ov 'overlay-tag t)
>       (overlay-put ov 'display tag)
>       (overlay-put ov-2 'overlay-tag-2 t)
>       (overlay-put ov-2 'display tags))))

*Excellent* works very nicely. Thanks very much, the only change I did
 was

         (tag (propertize "  🎃 " 'face 'bold))

It is better visible, and more fitting since you sent me the final
version on Halloween 👹

Now it remains to configure helm-locate, so that it takes a local
database that I can run regularly without sudo..

Thanks very much that was very helpful

Uwe

--

@ 2022-11-01  7:16                                           ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-11-01  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: Juan Manuel Macías, orgmode

> *Excellent* works very nicely. Thanks very much, the only change I did
>  was

>          (tag (propertize "  🎃 " 'face 'bold))

> It is better visible, and more fitting since you sent me the final
> version on Halloween 👹

> Now it remains to configure helm-locate, so that it takes a local
> database that I can run regularly without sudo..

> Thanks very much that was very helpful

One, hopefully, last thing in helm-mini, how can I select and visit a certain file? I looked around but C-j says view file (recent) but I cannot edit that file....

--

@ 2022-11-01 13:52                                             ` Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2022-11-01 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: orgmode

Uwe Brauer writes:

> One, hopefully, last thing in helm-mini, how can I select and visit a
> certain file? I looked around but C-j says view file (recent) but I
> cannot edit that file....

The selected candidates in helm have one main action, which in
helm-locate and so on is usually to visit the buffer or file. The action
is associated with enter or C-m. But you can modify the helm-map to your
liking.

And, in addition to the main action, you have a menu of (very useful)
secondary actions, which you can access by pressing tab on the selected
candidate. Each helm source has its own secondary actions. And you can
also define more actions and add them.

Best regards,

Juan Manuel