Max Nikulin writes: >> Do you have any ideas how to work around the deliberately constructed >> header argument values like in your example? > > Perhaps `gensym' may be used to create a symbol that can not appear in a > document. I am unsure if the following `pcase' variant may be improved > ... > ;; or ob-shell-argument-literal-symbol > (defconst ob-literal-symbol (gensym "literal")) Good idea. I am attaching tentative fix that uses the proposed approach. Not yet merging - need to go through other babel backends and make them use the new API.