* A MindMap export would be awesome
@ 2009-07-07 19:33 Tassilo Horn
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-07-07 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I'm just preparing a practice lecture for tomorrow, and when doing
something like that, using mindmaps helps me to structure the whole
thing.  Of course, outlined text *is* a textual representation for a
mindmap, but often some visual representation is more explanatory,
especially when handing it out to others.

I googled up http://www.text2mindmap.com/ which gives an impression on
what I mean.

Did anyone think of an exporter for that?

Maybe there a special LaTeX styles for that.  Google came up with
something called PGF/TikZ.  Or maybe there are generators for creating
SVG mindmaps, I don't know...

Ok, that's it.  I just wanted to share the idea (and hope to pull the
new exporter tomorrow. ;-))

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: A MindMap export would be awesome
@ 2009-07-07 19:36 ` Eric S Fraga
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2009-07-07 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

At Tue, 07 Jul 2009 21:33:45 +0200,
Tassilo Horn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm just preparing a practice lecture for tomorrow, and when doing
> something like that, using mindmaps helps me to structure the whole
> thing.  Of course, outlined text *is* a textual representation for a
> mindmap, but often some visual representation is more explanatory,
> especially when handing it out to others.
>
> I googled up http://www.text2mindmap.com/ which gives an impression on
> what I mean.
>
> Did anyone think of an exporter for that?
>
> Maybe there a special LaTeX styles for that.  Google came up with
> something called PGF/TikZ.  Or maybe there are generators for creating
> SVG mindmaps, I don't know...

Possibly graphviz could be used?

* Re: A MindMap export would be awesome
@ 2009-07-07 20:03 ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2009-07-07 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> I'm just preparing a practice lecture for tomorrow, and when doing
> something like that, using mindmaps helps me to structure the whole
> thing.
> Did anyone think of an exporter for that?

org-mode can export to freemind with a contrib package. Take a look at
org-export-freemind-0.1.0 in the contrib/packages directory in the
org-mode source.

Charles

--
"...and scantily clad females, of course.  Who cares if it's below zero
outside"

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 196 bytes --]

* Re: A MindMap export would be awesome
@ 2009-07-07 20:17   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-07-07 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

Hi Eric,

>> Maybe there a special LaTeX styles for that.  Google came up with
>> something called PGF/TikZ.  Or maybe there are generators for
>> creating SVG mindmaps, I don't know...
>
> Possibly graphviz could be used?

Yes, especially the twopi layout seems well-suited for that task.  And
of course, dot is a very easy format to transform to.  But it has some
drawbacks, too.  For example, the text in a node has to be formatted
correctly with special strings for linebreaks and no interaction with
the mindmap is possible.

In an ideal world I'd like to have the nodes show the headline broken
into several lines to keep some ideal aspect ration, and when the mouse
hoovers over a node, the full text following that headline is shown in
some overlay.  This could probably be done in SVG...

@ 2009-07-07 20:19   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-07-07 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Philip Chan; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Charles Philip Chan <cpchan@sympatico.ca> writes:

Hi Charles,

>> I'm just preparing a practice lecture for tomorrow, and when doing
>> something like that, using mindmaps helps me to structure the whole
>> thing.
>> Did anyone think of an exporter for that?
>
> org-mode can export to freemind with a contrib package. Take a look at
> org-export-freemind-0.1.0 in the contrib/packages directory in the
> org-mode source.

Noted, thanks.  But since I want to hand out the mindmaps to others, I
would prefer a portable format like SVG or PDF.

Anyway, I'll have a look.  Maybe Freemind can export to PDF/SVG.

@ 2009-07-07 21:03     ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2009-07-07 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Noted, thanks.  But since I want to hand out the mindmaps to others, I
> would prefer a portable format like SVG or PDF.

There is a svg export plugin for freemind.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/freemind/files/

Charles
--
"It's God.  No, not Richard Stallman, or Linus Torvalds, but God."
(By Matt Welsh)

@ 2009-07-08  6:06       ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-07-08  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Philip Chan; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Charles Philip Chan <cpchan@sympatico.ca> writes:

Hi Charles,

>> Noted, thanks.  But since I want to hand out the mindmaps to others,
>> I would prefer a portable format like SVG or PDF.
>
> There is a svg export plugin for freemind.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/freemind/files/

Hah, great!  Now please tell me that Freemind is scriptable, so that an
export from org to svg mindmap is just a fingertip away.

@ 2009-07-08  6:14         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-07-08  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Hah, great!  Now please tell me that Freemind is scriptable, so that an
> export from org to svg mindmap is just a fingertip away.

Good to know - maybe a tutorial on this would be of interest to many
people here?  Not pushing you, of course... :)

--
 Bastien

* Re: A MindMap export would be awesome
@ 2009-07-08  8:59           ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-07-08  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bastienguerry@googlemail.com> writes:

Hi Bastien,

>> Hah, great!  Now please tell me that Freemind is scriptable, so that
>> an export from org to svg mindmap is just a fingertip away.
>
> Good to know - maybe a tutorial on this would be of interest to many
> people here?  Not pushing you, of course... :)

I added some investigation TODO to my list.  But don't hold your breath.

@ 2009-07-08  9:17             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-07-08  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode

On Jul 8, 2009, at 10:59 AM, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> Bastien <bastienguerry@googlemail.com> writes:
>
> Hi Bastien,
>
>>> Hah, great!  Now please tell me that Freemind is scriptable, so that
>>> an export from org to svg mindmap is just a fingertip away.
>>
>> Good to know - maybe a tutorial on this would be of interest to many
>> people here?  Not pushing you, of course... :)
>
> I added some investigation TODO to my list.  But don't hold your
> breath.

I think it is scriptable

http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Example_scripts

- Carsten

* Re: A MindMap export would be awesome
@ 2009-07-08 19:25         ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2009-07-08 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello Tassilo:

> Hah, great!  Now please tell me that Freemind is scriptable, so that
> an export from org to svg mindmap is just a fingertip away.

It looks like it is possible with Freemind 0.9:

http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Scripting

Cheers,
Charles

--
Running Windows on a Pentium is like having a brand new Porsche but only
be able to drive backwards with the handbrake on.

@ 2009-07-10  1:37   ` Charles Cave
From: Charles Cave @ 2009-07-10  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> org-mode can export to freemind with a contrib package. Take a look at
> org-export-freemind-0.1.0 in the contrib/packages directory in the
> org-mode source.

It would be good if the Freemind exporting package would include the
text of a headline in the node itself rather than a subnode.
Would someone like to have a go at modifying the package to do that
or make it configurable?

With Mind Maps, usually you would brainstorm and create your
presentation in a Mind Map and then create the details.  Converting
the org-mode back to a Mind Map introduces the challenge of making
each Mind Map node into a keyword or very short phrase.

I will follow this discussion with great interest!

Charles

* Re: A MindMap export would be awesome
@ 2009-07-12 19:22 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2009-07-12 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2009-07-07 20:33 +0100, Tassilo Horn wrote:
> Maybe there a special LaTeX styles for that.  Google came up with
> something called PGF/TikZ.  Or maybe there are generators for creating
> SVG mindmaps, I don't know...

It would be more interesting to have one that uses pgf/tikz than
freemind mentioned in other threads.

--
Leo's Emacs uptime: 32 days, 5 hours, 41 minutes, 47 seconds

* MindMap using tikz/pgf (was: A MindMap export would be awesome)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-08-01 21:22 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2009-08-01 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

MindMap looks like an effective way to represent certain knowledge
structure. I wonder if export a substree or an org file to mindmap may
be made possible through tikz/pgf. Here's an example of a mindmap done
in tikz: http://imagebin.org/57996

---- example TeX ----
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{tikz}
\usetikzlibrary{mindmap}

\begin{document}
\begin{tikzpicture}
  \path[mindmap,concept color=black,text=white]
  node[concept] {Computer Science}
  [clockwise from=0]
  child[concept color=green!50!black] {
    node[concept] {practical}
    [clockwise from=90]
    child { node[concept] {algorithms} }
    child { node[concept] {data structures} }
    child { node[concept] {programming languages} }
    child { node[concept] {software engineering} }
  }
  child[concept color=blue] {
    node[concept] {applied}
    [clockwise from=-30]
    child { node[concept] {databases} }
    child { node[concept] {WWW} }
  }
  child[concept color=red] { node[concept] {technical} }
  child[concept color=orange] { node[concept] {theoretical} };
\end{tikzpicture}
\end{document}

--
Emacs uptime: 6 days, 1 hour, 34 minutes, 22 seconds