From: Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org>
To: John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Org-mode and citations
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 11:41:09 -0400	[thread overview]

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> Just finishing up a report and was taking care of the citations. I've
> been using C-c C-x f and it's been awesome... until I go to export to
> LaTeX when everything falls apart. Footnotes in my document came during
> unordered list items (bullets) and the LaTeX export had all kinds of
> mismatched brackets that I haven't been able to sort through. Is there
> a better way? Here's an example of what I'm experiencing:
>
> ------
> \item Through further research, it turns out that World Choice Travel
> is
>     exactly how FHTM is generating income from Travelocity\footnote
> {Office of the State Auditor, State of Montana
> \end{itemize}
>
> \end{itemize}
> (2010). \emph{Temporary Cease and Desist Order and Opportunity for
> Hearing}
> (SEC-2010-12), 29. \href{http://www.sao.mt.gov/legal/securities/
> S10_HITECH%20Cease%20and%20Desist.pdf}{http://www.sao.mt.gov} }
> \begin{itemize}
> \item \textbf{Magazines.com:} 35\% on all sales\footnote{Magazines.com
> (2009). \emph{Sales Affiliate Information}. Retrieved
> \end{itemize}
> 31 March 2010 from \href{http://www.magazines.com/affiliate/index}
> {http://www.magazines.com} }
> ------

Can you please provide the source file you used to produce this output?
I cannot replicate this problem.

Here, the following tree...

* Testing

 - hello[1]

   - A sub point[2] with some /emphasis afterwards/.

 - goodbye[3]

[1] A footnote.

[2] The sub-point footnote.

[3] Another footnote.

exports correctly as...

\begin{itemize}
\item hello\footnote{A footnote. }

\begin{itemize}
\item A sub point\footnote{The sub-point footnote. } with some \emph{emphasis afterwards}.
\end{itemize}

\item goodbye\footnote{Another footnote. }
\end{itemize}

> So... (2010). \emph... should be after 'State of Montana' on one item
> rather than made to be in between an \end{itemize} and \begin{itemize}
> (no man's land, that is). Same thing with the last line '31 March...':
> that should have come after 'Retrieved' two lines above.

Are you sure that your plain lists are indented properly?

> So, I can find some info about Bibtex and Reftex but in my opinion it's
> just not very helpful. Even the bibtex.org website seems difficult to
> me.

I'm not sure I understand your questions about BibTeX or how they relate
to the example above.

There is ample material on-line for learning BibTeX, but mastering it
requires some patient reading and practice. The short answer: BibTeX is
a file format for storing bibliographical data as well as a program for
formatting BibTeX data for LaTeX processing. Reftex is an emacs mode
(written by Carsten) that, among other things, makes it easy to enter
cite macros and reference keys in a LaTeX file (or, if you'd like, an
org file). Most instructions you'll find on integrating BibTeX with
org-mode presuppose a working familiarity with BibTeX and reftex. For a
quick overview, the Wikipedia article on BibTeX is a good place to
start.[fn:1]

Best,
Matt

Footnotes: