From: Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Karl Berry: Re: Nick Dokos: texi2dvi egrep regexp
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2010 18:59:52 +0200	[thread overview]

> I am looking for a way out which will allow pdf compilation of Org
> work out of the box, and still allow texi2dvi to be used where possible.

All is well as long as GNU grep is not at version 2.6 or later, so maybe
check for that first.  Even for later versions it likely only breaks
when the sort order is set to sort lower case letters before upper case
ones _and_ grep produces an error code on that rather than silently
reversing the range expression as it apparently did until version 2.5.

> 1.  I could set the environment variable LC_ALL
>    for the duration of the texi2dvi command to some value
>    like C?  That should fix the egrep call, but could
>    it have adverse effects on the pdflatex and bibtex runs or
>    any other stuff used in texi2dvi?

That would most likely wreak serious havoc with path / file names that
contain UTF-8 characters if they are not just passed through.  But one
could use LC_COLLATE=C (or LC_COLLATE=POSIX) in the environment that
calls texi2dvi and that should fix it.  Maybe someone with one of the
newer grep versions could try it and report if this indeed helps.

Achim.