* Re-map global key while in the agenda?
@ 2011-02-11 16:47 Nathan Neff
From: Nathan Neff @ 2011-02-11 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I have <F3> i mapped to 'org-clock-in and I would also like <F3> i to
clock in while I'm in the agenda.

I have <F3> i bound using global-set-key like this:
(global-set-key (kbd "<f3> i") 'org-clock-in)

And I tried using "define-key" to redefine F3-i in agenda mode
like this:

(add-hook 'org-agenda-mode-hook
             '(lambda ()
                (define-key org-agenda-mode-map (kbd "<F3> i")
'org-agenda-clock-in)
))

But, when I'm in the agenda, <F3> i is always mapped to 'org-clock-in,
not 'org-agenda-clock-in

Is it possible to redefine a global key mapping in the agenda?

Thanks,
--Nate

* Re: Re-map global key while in the agenda?
@ 2011-02-11 19:48 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-11 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Neff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Nathan,

Nathan Neff <nathan.neff@gmail.com> writes:

> I have <F3> i mapped to 'org-clock-in and I would also like <F3> i to
> clock in while I'm in the agenda.

How is that useful outside an org-mode buffer?

> Is it possible to redefine a global key mapping in the agenda?

No.  Better to define your key in org-mode-map and org-agenda-mode-map,
no need for a global key IMHO.

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Re-map global key while in the agenda?
@ 2011-02-11 23:58   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-02-11 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bastien.guerry@wikimedia.fr> writes:

> Hi Nathan,
>
> Nathan Neff <nathan.neff@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I have <F3> i mapped to 'org-clock-in and I would also like <F3> i to
>> clock in while I'm in the agenda.
>
> How is that useful outside an org-mode buffer?

It's useful with a C-u prefix to pick another task off the recently
clocked items menu. I use this in non-org-mode buffers.  I agree that
without the prefix it's not useful outside of org-mode.

-Bernt

>> Is it possible to redefine a global key mapping in the agenda?
>
> No.  Better to define your key in org-mode-map and org-agenda-mode-map,
> no need for a global key IMHO.
>
> HTH,

* Re: Re: Re-map global key while in the agenda?
@ 2011-02-12 11:02     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-12 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bernt,

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

> It's useful with a C-u prefix to pick another task off the recently
> clocked items menu. I use this in non-org-mode buffers.

Then Nathan wants:

(global-set-key (kbd "<f3> i")
   (lambda() (interactive) (org-clock-in '(4))))

which doesn't prevent setting the same key for org-agenda-mode-map.

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Re-map global key while in the agenda?
@ 2011-02-12 17:07   ` Nathan Neff
From: Nathan Neff @ 2011-02-12 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 1:48 PM, Bastien <bastien.guerry@wikimedia.fr> wrote:
> Hi Nathan,
>
> Nathan Neff <nathan.neff@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I have <F3> i mapped to 'org-clock-in and I would also like <F3> i to
>> clock in while I'm in the agenda.
>
> How is that useful outside an org-mode buffer?

It's not :0)  I started defining shortcut keys using global-set-key
and didn't really think about it.

>> Is it possible to redefine a global key mapping in the agenda?
>
> No.  Better to define your key in org-mode-map and org-agenda-mode-map,
> no need for a global key IMHO.

Will do -- thanks for the advice.