* org-capture in the same file from which it was called under certain heading
@ 2011-05-27 10:17 Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2011-05-27 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

I would like to capture todo items, changes and other things in the file I
am working in (literate programming), but I am struggling: how can I specify
thet the file is the actual file I am working in?

Thanks,

Rainer

UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax (F):       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: org-capture in the same file from which it was called under certain heading
@ 2011-05-28 10:00 ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2011-05-28 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:

> I would like to capture todo items, changes and other things in the
> file I am working in (literate programming), but I am struggling: how
> can I specify thet the file is the actual file I am working in?

Thats fun!
From the info manual on capture templates
to google "org capture "entry (function"" which led
to the mailing list archive (Thread start: http://tinyurl.com/3fj25gq)
to the git log:

,----
| commit 030960559e24b5b364b6237d223429b5050fc2f1
| Author: Bastien Guerry <bzg@altern.org>
| Date:   Sun Mar 6 17:31:56 2011 +0100
|
|     org-capture.el: remove (currentfile) as a file specification in templates.
|
|     You can already use a function like (buffer-file-name) to get the currently
|     visited file.  So (currentfile) is not necessary.
`----

What a round trip :).

A quick test suggests this should do:

("w"
  "*TEST*: entry function currentfile"
  entry
  (file+headline (buffer-file-name) "Notes")
  "* Eintrag")

This should file your capture item "* Eintrag" under the Node "* Notes"
in the buffer you called capture from.

Is that what you had in mind?

hth
Memnon

Tested with:
,----
| (setq org-capture-templates
|       `(("w"
| 	 "*TEST*: entry function currentfile"
| 	 entry
| 	 (file+headline (buffer-file-name) "Note")
| 	 "* Eintrag")))
`----
on GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.3)
   of 2011-04-10 on raven, modified by Debian
with
        Org-mode version 7.5

* Re: org-capture in the same file from which it was called under certain heading
@ 2011-05-28 10:03   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2011-05-28 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Memnon Anon; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Memnon Anon <
gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I would like to capture todo items, changes and other things in the
> > file I am working in (literate programming), but I am struggling: how
> > can I specify thet the file is the actual file I am working in?
>
> Thats fun!
> From the info manual on capture templates
> to google "org capture "entry (function"" which led
> to the mailing list archive (Thread start: http://tinyurl.com/3fj25gq)
> to the git log:
>
> ,----
> | commit 030960559e24b5b364b6237d223429b5050fc2f1
> | Author: Bastien Guerry <bzg@altern.org>
> | Date:   Sun Mar 6 17:31:56 2011 +0100
> |
> |     org-capture.el: remove (currentfile) as a file specification in
> templates.
> |
> |     You can already use a function like (buffer-file-name) to get the
> currently
> |     visited file.  So (currentfile) is not necessary.
> `----
>
> What a round trip :).
>
> A quick test suggests this should do:

> ("w"
>  "*TEST*: entry function currentfile"
>  entry
>  (file+headline (buffer-file-name) "Notes")
>  "* Eintrag")
>

> This should file your capture item "* Eintrag" under the Node "* Notes"
> in the buffer you called capture from.
>
> Is that what you had in mind?

Yes - exactly that.
Now if this could go into the documentation of org-capture, that would be
great.

Thanks a lot,

Rainer

@ 2011-05-28 11:40     ` Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2011-05-28 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Memnon Anon
> <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>     Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:
>
>     > I would like to capture todo items, changes and other things in
>     the
>     > file I am working in (literate programming), but I am
>     struggling: how
>     > can I specify thet the file is the actual file I am working in?
>

>     Thats fun!
>     From the info manual on capture templates
>     to google "org capture "entry (function"" which led
>     to the mailing list archive (Thread start:
>     http://tinyurl.com/3fj25gq)
>     to the git log:
>
>     ,----
>     | commit 030960559e24b5b364b6237d223429b5050fc2f1
>     | Author: Bastien Guerry <bzg@altern.org>
>     | Date:   Sun Mar 6 17:31:56 2011 +0100
>     |     org-capture.el: remove (currentfile) as a file specification
>     in templates.
>     |     You can already use a function like (buffer-file-name) to
>     get the currently
>     |     visited file.  So (currentfile) is not necessary.
>     `----
>
>     What a round trip :).
>
>     A quick test suggests this should do:
>
>     --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>     ("w"
>      "*TEST*: entry function currentfile"
>      entry
>      (file+headline (buffer-file-name) "Notes")
>      "* Eintrag")
>     --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>

>     This should file your capture item "* Eintrag" under the Node "*
>     Notes"
>     in the buffer you called capture from.
>
>     Is that what you had in mind?
>

> Yes - exactly that.
> Now if this could go into the documentation of org-capture, that would
> be great.

to extend the same, I have a similar requirement where I want to capture
subtasks of a TODO item as I am working on it. So the (TODO)node under
which I want to capture changes with the time. It would be good If there is a
way to specify capture destination dynamically(most of the time the
capture destination is under the current clocked item)

Thanks.,
Yagnesh.

<snip>
--
Your business will assume vast proportions.

* Re: org-capture in the same file from which it was called under certain heading
@ 2011-05-28 12:15     ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2011-05-28 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:

> Yes - exactly that. Now if this could go into the documentation of
> org-capture, that would be great.

The doc string of `org-capture-templates' concisely says:
,----
| A file can also be given as a variable, function, or Emacs Lisp
| form.
`----

So it is documented already.
(Note to self:
"Docstrings deserve closer attention. Do not only skim over them anymore!")

Might be worth a footnote in the manual.
OTOH, this seems to be sort of a corner case;
the manual should not try to encompass everything there is...

Memnon

* Re: org-capture in the same file from which it was called under certain heading
@ 2011-05-28 13:15       ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2011-05-28 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <yagnesh@live.com> writes:

> to extend the same, I have a similar requirement where I want to
> capture subtasks of a TODO item as I am working on it. So the
> (TODO)node under which I want to capture changes with the time. It
> would be good If there is a way to specify capture destination
> dynamically(most of the time the capture destination is under the
> current clocked item)

I think I now what you want, but to be sure, a simple example outline
would help.

Memnon

* Re: org-capture in the same file from which it was called under certain heading
@ 2011-05-28 14:50       ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-05-28 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <yagnesh@live.com> writes:

> to extend the same, I have a similar requirement where I want to capture
> subtasks of a TODO item as I am working on it. So the (TODO)node under
> which I want to capture changes with the time. It would be good If there is a
> way to specify capture destination dynamically(most of the time the
> capture destination is under the current clocked item)

In your capture buffer you can finish it with C-2 C-c C-w (instead of
C-c C-c) to file to the current clocking task.

Regards,
Bernt