* Re: org-icons package
@ 2011-07-27 15:50         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-07-27 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Renzo Been; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Renzo,

Renzo Been <swangdoodles@gmail.com> writes:

> However, some things about the org-icons package... It seems to be a little
> outdated.  Are there many org-moders out there still using it?

I'm not using it.

> Were there
> ever any plans to include it in the org-distribution?

I don't know, I wasn't aware of this package.

> Right now it needs to be installed by hand, because the patch to
> org.el is outdated...  Also, I need to load it two times in my .emacs
> before the icons work...

The best thing would be to invite Nicolas Girard to discuss this
on this list.  Can you do this?

 Bastien

* Re: org-icons package
@ 2011-08-18 20:13 Renzo Been
From: Renzo Been @ 2011-08-18 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode, dandavison7, nicolas.girard

Hi Dan, Nicolas and list,

In my previous mail I wrote about using (and upgrading it for use with the
latest version of org-mode) Nicolas Girard's org-icons package, see:
http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?group=gmane.emacs.orgmode&article=44834

I've tried to contact Nicolas Girard (via e-mail and a google search). But I
have not heard back from him as yet.

When I checked the github for org-icons again I discovered that there was a
second branch by Dan Davison.
https://github.com/ngirard/org-icons/tree/dan

Dan,

Do you know how I can get in contact with Nicolas? Or do you have access to
the github for org-icons, so that it's code can be updated to work with the
latest version of org-mode? Did you and Nicolas ever think about including
org-icons into org-mode?

As for me, I'm happily using org-icons with org-mode 7.7, I've attached a new
and updated patch file that works on the latest org.el

Copy the patch "org-icons.patch" to the directory where you keep your "org.el"
cd to that directory
And then apply the patch like this:
patch -b org.el org-icons.patch

Of-course, if neither of you has the time to work on org-icons... I could make
a fork of the git repo, and make the changes myself. However, I do not have
much elisp knowledge...

Ciao,
Renzo

On 25 July 2011 12:12, Renzo Been <swangdoodles@gmail.com> wrote:
> Bastien <bzg <at> altern.org> writes:

>> Hi Philipp,

>> Philipp Haselwarter <philipp.haselwarter <at> gmx.de> writes:

>> > Is there any particular reason for it to be hardcoded? Apart from the
>> > fact that /well it just is this way right now/ I mean.

>> Nothing carved in stone, but here are the two reasons I see:

>> - we don't want users to use arbitrary regexp to match headlines as they
>>   are very likely to shoot themselves in the foot (Harven's example of
>>   using "-" instead of "*" is a good example of that.)

>> - Given this, I am not able to imagine a good way of limiting the number
>>   of allowed characters.

>> > That'd be useful information for anyone interested in changing it.

>> I'd interested in any solution to the problems above.

>> > Then
>> > you can still just tell them to write a patch if they care that much
>> > ('cause even in org-mode-land patches don't write themselves just yet)

>> :)

>> > [I just had the most awesome idea for a feature request].

>> Please share!

>> > If it's "just" about inheriting from a variable in some 300 places it
>> > could at least be discussed.

>> Yep -- if you have the energy to go through the code and see where it is
>> hardcoded while it should not, please do.

>> Thanks,

> Hi,

> I was just thinking... If you want to change the "look" of the
> org-headlines. Does one really need to change the code?

> I have been using Nicolas Girard's org-icons package for quite a while. And
> that makes org-buffers look pretty nice. You can even customise the icons, to
> make it look the way you want.

> However, some things about the org-icons package... It seems to be a little
> outdated.  Are there many org-moders out there still using it?  Were there
> ever any plans to include it in the org-distribution? Right now it needs to be
> installed by hand, because the patch to org.el is outdated...  Also, I need to
> load it two times in my .emacs before the icons work...

> Ciao,
> Renzo

> The org-icons can be found here:
> Download from Nicolas Girard's github
> http://github.com/ngirard/org-icons
> On the Worg site I could only find screenshots, no other information...
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-screenshots.html
> The list-message announcement for org-icons
> http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?message_id=%3c87zl2962um.fsf%40stats.ox.ac.uk%3e
> And some list-messages discussing including the org-icons-patch into org-mode
> http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?message_id=%3c87zlbx3kvf.fsf%40kassiopeya.MSHEIMNETZ%3e

[-- Attachment #2: ngirard-org-icons-renzo.tar.gz --]
[-- Type: application/x-gzip, Size: 429520 bytes --]

* Re: org-icons package
@ 2011-08-18 20:48 ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2011-08-18 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swangdoodles; +Cc: nicolas.girard, emacs-orgmode

Hi Renzo,

org-icons needs to be moved into contrib/, hooked in via a lightweight patch
against org.el, instead of being implemented as a monolithic change to
org.el. I made a start on that in this branch:

https://github.com/dandavison/org-devel/tree/org-icons

but I'm not sure that I got very far. Note that that is a branch in a clone
of the org repo, as opposed to the org-icons repos which are standalone
repos and do not contain org.

I thought org-icons was interesting because it offers the possibility of
allowing users to make arbitrary superficial changes to org aesthetics. For
example, the #+begin_src...#+end_src boilerplate is rather heavy for some
peoples' tastes. At one point I had it replacing that with a little (ruby,
snake) for (ruby, python) code... But I think it also allows the possibility
of overlaying with text. I'd be happy to give you push access to that repo,
but, you may as well just fork it as I have no plans to work on it.

I don't know how to contact Nicolas. I believe that he is on record as
saying he did not plan to develop org-icons further.

Good luck,

Dan

@ 2011-08-19 21:39 Renzo Been
From: Renzo Been @ 2011-08-19 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Davison; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Oké Dan,

Understood. That sounds right; to move all the code into the
org-icons.el file. That way the patch is no longer needed, and
org-icons can live in the contrib dir (together with a directory for
the images).

I think its best if I make a fork of your repo. That gives me some
space for working on the code. Once I have made some progress (I won't
be very fast...), I will send you a Pull request.

The changes that you have made until now, are found here:
https://github.com/dandavison/org-devel/tree/org-icons/contrib/org-icons
Right?

Your right, org-icons is a nice way to change the looks of org
buffers. I'll go through the code first, to get an understanding of
what can be done.

Ciao,
Renzo

On 18 August 2011 22:48, Dan Davison <dandavison7@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Renzo,
> org-icons needs to be moved into contrib/, hooked in via a lightweight patch
> against org.el, instead of being implemented as a monolithic change to
> org.el. I made a start on that in this branch:
> https://github.com/dandavison/org-devel/tree/org-icons
> but I'm not sure that I got very far. Note that that is a branch in a clone
> of the org repo, as opposed to the org-icons repos which are standalone
> repos and do not contain org.
> I thought org-icons was interesting because it offers the possibility of
> allowing users to make arbitrary superficial changes to org aesthetics. For
> example, the #+begin_src...#+end_src boilerplate is rather heavy for some
> peoples' tastes. At one point I had it replacing that with a little (ruby,
> snake) for (ruby, python) code... But I think it also allows the possibility
> of overlaying with text. I'd be happy to give you push access to that repo,
> but, you may as well just fork it as I have no plans to work on it.
> I don't know how to contact Nicolas. I believe that he is on record as
> saying he did not plan to develop org-icons further.
> Good luck,
> Dan

* Re: org-icons package
@ 2011-08-19 21:50   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-08-19 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Davison; +Cc: nicolas.girard, swangdoodles, emacs-orgmode

Hi Dan,

Dan Davison <dandavison7@gmail.com> writes:

> org-icons needs to be moved into contrib/, hooked in via a
> lightweight patch against org.el, instead of being implemented as a
> monolithic change to org.el. I made a start on that in this branch:
>
> https://github.com/dandavison/org-devel/tree/org-icons

Great -- let us know when we can move this to contrib/!

Best,

--
 Bastien