* Percent justification in Beamer tables
@ 2012-03-05 23:24 François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2012-03-05 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi, Org people.

When, in an Org table, a column is made up of numbers, each of which is
immediately followed by a percent sign, table formatting within Emacs
right adjusts such numbers in their column, which is nice.  Moreover, if
I publish such tables as HTML, numbers are right adjusted as well.

However, the same table inserted in a Beamer presentation shows the
number /left/ justified in their column, which is a formatting
discrepancy, or at least not what I expected.  Could the justification
of percentages be made more uniform Org-wide?

François

* Re: Percent justification in Beamer tables
@ 2012-03-06  1:32 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-03-06  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: =?utf-8?Q?Fran=C3=A7ois?= Pinard; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

François Pinard <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> Hi, Org people.
>
> When, in an Org table, a column is made up of numbers, each of which is
> immediately followed by a percent sign, table formatting within Emacs
> right adjusts such numbers in their column, which is nice.  Moreover, if
> I publish such tables as HTML, numbers are right adjusted as well.
>
> However, the same table inserted in a Beamer presentation shows the
> number /left/ justified in their column, which is a formatting
> discrepancy, or at least not what I expected.  Could the justification
> of percentages be made more uniform Org-wide?

It's of course possible (even probable) that the latex exporter behaves
differently from the html exporter in this case (and probably many other
cases.) Historically, I believe the latex exporter was the first one and
in those days, each exporter blazed its own trail, so inevitably we have
a divergence of behavior. The new exporters based on Nicolas's
org-element parser will presumably behave a lot more consistently.

In the meantime, you can always override the latex behavior with
something like

#+ATTR_LaTeX: align=|r|r|l|r|l|r|

to set the alignment of each column explicitly without affecting the HTML
output.

Nick

* Re: Percent justification in Beamer tables
@ 2012-03-14 18:22   ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2012-03-14 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> François Pinard <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

>> [...] in an Org table, a column is made up of numbers, each of which
>> is immediately followed by a percent sign [...]

> It's of course possible (even probable) that the latex exporter
> behaves differently from the html exporter in this case (and probably
> many other cases.)  [...]  The new exporters based on Nicolas's
> org-element parser will presumably behave a lot more consistently.

Hello, Nick.

OK, so light comes from the future :-).

> In the meantime [...]
> #+ATTR_LaTeX: align=|r|r|l|r|l|r|

Let me thank you for your advice.  It worked very nicely.

François