From: Olaf Meeuwissen <olaf.meeuwissen@avasys.jp>
To: Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Emacs23 on Ubuntu recognizes 'remember', not 'capture'
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 08:45:53 +0900	[thread overview]

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> Olaf Meeuwissen writes:
>> Or install Ubuntu's separately packaged org-mode package.  The emacs23
>> package on Ubuntu and Debian ships with the bundled org-mode version
>> (6.33, IIRC).  The org-mode package is significantly newer, 7.x.  The
>> only glitch I've encountered is with accessing the info pages, but you
>> can work around that by modifying Info-directory-list.
>
> This would suggest a packaging error that should be reported to and
> fixed by the Ubuntu folks...  there's no excuse for the package
> installation not updating the info dir or site-lisp script so it becomes
> available automatically.

I just double checked on two amd64 machines running Debian wheezy.  Both
were last upgraded on [2012-07-31 Tue].  Both machines have the same
emacs-version (23.4.1) and org-version (7.8.11).  Both machines have the
same value for Info-directory-list and Info-default-directory-list.

Yet, on one I get the info pages for org-mode 6.33x and on the other for
7.8.11.  The latter machine was freshly installed 2012-07-19, the former
2010-12-30 (and has seen more or less biweekly upgrades ever since).
Neither machine's .emacs file tweaks any of the info functionality that
I'm aware of.

So, I'm not sure that this is (still) an issue with Debian's org-mode
package.  At least on a recent wheezy installation it does not show.  I
don't have access to an Ubuntu 12.04 (pangolin) machine right now but
maybe I can check tonight.

Hope this helps,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962