@ 2014-04-30  8:18 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-04-30  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've got a few top-level user commands, related to org, that load at
startup. Specifically org-agenda and org-ido-switchb are bound to keys
that are available after emacs starts up. Before Org loads properly,
however, things like the agenda file list and the list of valid tags and
TODO keywords are unavailable. That makes it hard to boot emacs and go
directly into a call to `org-todo-list': the TODO keywords aren't loaded
yet.

I've looked into this before but couldn't find a single function that
would "boot" my local data. `org-agenda-files' reads the file list, but
it doesn't actually parse the files and do all the setup routines.

Is there a single-function entry point that I could put in my init
files, that would get me where I want to be? ie, in a state as though
`org-agenda' had already been called, though it hasn't yet?

Thanks,
Eric

* Re: loading all agenda files at startup
@ 2014-04-30  8:23 ` Daimrod
From: Daimrod @ 2014-04-30  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric,

> I've got a few top-level user commands, related to org, that load at
> startup. Specifically org-agenda and org-ido-switchb are bound to keys
> that are available after emacs starts up. Before Org loads properly,
> however, things like the agenda file list and the list of valid tags and
> TODO keywords are unavailable. That makes it hard to boot emacs and go
> directly into a call to `org-todo-list': the TODO keywords aren't loaded
> yet.
>
> I've looked into this before but couldn't find a single function that
> would "boot" my local data. `org-agenda-files' reads the file list, but
> it doesn't actually parse the files and do all the setup routines.
>
> Is there a single-function entry point that I could put in my init
> files, that would get me where I want to be? ie, in a state as though
> `org-agenda' had already been called, though it hasn't yet?

I call `org-agenda-list' in my `after-init-hook' but it is not "silent",
that is, it displays the agenda list.

Best,

--
Daimrod/Greg

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: loading all agenda files at startup
@ 2014-04-30  8:44   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-04-30  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Daimrod <daimrod@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
>> I've got a few top-level user commands, related to org, that load at
>> startup. Specifically org-agenda and org-ido-switchb are bound to keys
>> that are available after emacs starts up. Before Org loads properly,
>> however, things like the agenda file list and the list of valid tags and
>> TODO keywords are unavailable. That makes it hard to boot emacs and go
>> directly into a call to `org-todo-list': the TODO keywords aren't loaded
>> yet.
>>
>> I've looked into this before but couldn't find a single function that
>> would "boot" my local data. `org-agenda-files' reads the file list, but
>> it doesn't actually parse the files and do all the setup routines.
>>
>> Is there a single-function entry point that I could put in my init
>> files, that would get me where I want to be? ie, in a state as though
>> `org-agenda' had already been called, though it hasn't yet?
>
> I call `org-agenda-list' in my `after-init-hook' but it is not "silent",
> that is, it displays the agenda list.
>
> Best,

Right, just calling the agenda directly will certainly solve the issue,
and I suppose as a member of the Org faithful I should be booting to the
agenda! But it would be nice to get the same effect, but be left in
*scratch*...

* Re: loading all agenda files at startup
@ 2014-04-30  8:58     ` Alexander Baier
From: Alexander Baier @ 2014-04-30  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2014-04-30 10:44 Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> Daimrod <daimrod@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:
>>
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>>> I've got a few top-level user commands, related to org, that load at
>>> startup. Specifically org-agenda and org-ido-switchb are bound to keys
>>> that are available after emacs starts up. Before Org loads properly,
>>> however, things like the agenda file list and the list of valid tags and
>>> TODO keywords are unavailable. That makes it hard to boot emacs and go
>>> directly into a call to `org-todo-list': the TODO keywords aren't loaded
>>> yet.
>>>
>>> I've looked into this before but couldn't find a single function that
>>> would "boot" my local data. `org-agenda-files' reads the file list, but
>>> it doesn't actually parse the files and do all the setup routines.
>>>
>>> Is there a single-function entry point that I could put in my init
>>> files, that would get me where I want to be? ie, in a state as though
>>> `org-agenda' had already been called, though it hasn't yet?
>>
>> I call `org-agenda-list' in my `after-init-hook' but it is not "silent",
>> that is, it displays the agenda list.
>>
>> Best,
>
> Right, just calling the agenda directly will certainly solve the issue,
> and I suppose as a member of the Org faithful I should be booting to the
> agenda! But it would be nice to get the same effect, but be left in
> *scratch*...

Maybe hacking around it with something like the following in
'org-agenda-after-show-hook' or some similar hook?

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(defun my-switch-to-sratch ()
  (switch-to-buffer "*scratch*")
  (delete-other-windows))
#+end_src

HTH,
--
Alexander Baier

* Re: loading all agenda files at startup
@ 2014-04-30  9:11       ` Alexander Baier
From: Alexander Baier @ 2014-04-30  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2014-04-30 10:58 Alexander Baier wrote:
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> (defun my-switch-to-sratch ()
>   (switch-to-buffer "*scratch*")
>   (delete-other-windows)
    (remove-hook 'org-agenda-after-show-hook 'my-switch-to-scratch)
> )
> #+end_src

I forgot to remove this function again, so it is only run the first time
the agenda is shown.

--
Alexander Baier

* Re: loading all agenda files at startup
@ 2014-05-03 11:17       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-05-03 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Alexander Baier <lexi.baier@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2014-04-30 10:44 Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>> Daimrod <daimrod@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:
>>>
>>> Hi Eric,

>>> I call `org-agenda-list' in my `after-init-hook' but it is not "silent",
>>> that is, it displays the agenda list.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>
>> Right, just calling the agenda directly will certainly solve the issue,
>> and I suppose as a member of the Org faithful I should be booting to the
>> agenda! But it would be nice to get the same effect, but be left in
>> *scratch*...
>
> Maybe hacking around it with something like the following in
> 'org-agenda-after-show-hook' or some similar hook?
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> (defun my-switch-to-sratch ()
>   (switch-to-buffer "*scratch*")
>   (delete-other-windows))
> #+end_src
>
> HTH,

Yup, that's worth considering. I guess I was just hoping to get at the
"plumbing" a little more directly. But yes, on balance this is probably
a better approach.

Thanks,
Eric