* org-babel, lilypond, & tables
@ 2014-04-30 23:27 Steven Arntson
From: Steven Arntson @ 2014-04-30 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm wondering if someone could tell me if this idea is impossible. I'm
trying to find a way to leverage org-tables in a document containing
lilypond markup for a piano part such that both staves occupy the same
line, visually (instead of the lefthand notes occupying the top of the
doc and the righthand notes occupying the bottom). Right now I'm
accomplishing this with a vertical split in the buffer, which works, but
is clunky. I'd love to do something like:

left hand         | right hand          | measure
------------------+---------------------+----------
a16 b c d e f g a |  a8 <b d f> e4~      |  %m1

et cetera. This is easy enough to lay out in org mode, and it would look
terrific, but I can't imagine how to accomplish it such that the
lilypond markup would respond correctly to ly-tangle without bracketing
every cell in #+BEGIN_SRC LILYPOND #END_SRC (and even then, I doubt what
would happen.)

Maybe the answer is "You just have to get used to the way things are,"
which is fine--even that would at least get me thinking about other
problems.

Thank you!
Steven Arntson

* Re: org-babel, lilypond, & tables
@ 2014-05-01 19:15 ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-05-01 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Arntson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Perhaps you are doing cutting edge stuff that no one has even
considered before, which is great.
Grant Rettke | AAAS, ACM, ASA, FSF, IEEE, SIAM, Sigma Xi
grettke@acm.org | http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/
“Wisdom begins in wonder.” --Socrates
((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop
taking it seriously.” --Thompson

@ 2014-05-02  6:17 ` James Harkins
From: James Harkins @ 2014-05-02  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Steven Arntson <steven <at> stevenarntson.com> writes:

> I'm wondering if someone could tell me if this idea is impossible. I'm
> trying to find a way to leverage org-tables in a document containing
> lilypond markup for a piano part such that both staves occupy the same
> line, visually (instead of the lefthand notes occupying the top of the
> doc and the righthand notes occupying the bottom). Right now I'm
> accomplishing this with a vertical split in the buffer, which works, but
> is clunky.

I'm quite sure you'll have to write custom emacs-lisp for this.

I'd suggest not using tables, though. It looks fine when
you have only notes, but as soon as you need an override
(and, in piano music, you *will*, sooner or later), the table
will become very wide and you'll lose the advantage
of seeing both columns at once.

I'd probably use plain lists, one item per staff. You could
even nest lists for passages of temporary polyphony:

** Bar 1
   - ... right hand notes...
   - Poly
     - ... left hand voice 1 notes...
     - ... left hand voice 2 notes...

It'll take some extra lisp code to parse all this, but it
could work. I have a sneaky feeling, though, that more
complex notation requirements may become
inconvenient.

hjh