* cant get org-protocol right
@ 2014-08-04  0:53 Stefan Huchler
From: Stefan Huchler @ 2014-08-04  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I tried to setup here org-protocol with firefox, first the docu is very
old does refer to gnome 2:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.html#sec-3-1

So after searching around I found a howto to make the protocol known by
apps with a desktop file and the command update-desktop-database like
descripted here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7464951/how-to-make-org-protocol-work

I have following in my init.el:

(require 'org-protocol)

(setq org-protocol-default-template-key "l")
(setq org-capture-templates
 '(("t" "Todo" entry (file+headline "~/notes/notes.org" "BLA")
        "* TODO %?\n  %i\n  %a")
   ("l" "Link" entry (file+olp "~/notes/notes.org" "Web Links")
        "* %a\n %?\n %i")

its running in servermode.

If I call it manually at least with org-capture links it works like
excepted:

emacsclient org-protocol://capture://http://slash.org/

I get a capture buffer and can add that url and it gets added.

Now the strange behaviour, with that desktop file I got firefox to ask
at least for a programm if I enter there such a url, and I choose
org-protocol, what I get as choice from the desktop file.
But then nothing happens in emacs.

So again pasting this url into epiphany, emacs opens a new file buffer
with the name: "~org-protocol:/capture/http:/slash.org/"  (its a
fundamental buffer)

So I dont know why but I tried the same link in epiphany a bit
different:

org-protocol:/capture://slash.org

so removing one of the slashes after org-protocol helps also he doesnt
like the http:// in the string.

So do u think thats a gnome bug (I am using fedora 20 with the gnome
COPR).

here is my org-protocol.desktop file:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=org-protocol
Exec=emacsclient '%u'
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Categories=System;
MimeType=x-scheme-handler/org-protocol;

thanx for any advise!

* Re: cant get org-protocol right
@ 2014-08-05  1:11 ` Stefan Huchler
From: Stefan Huchler @ 2014-08-05  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

wow found a solution.

I dont understand why I have to do that, but it seems firefox fucks up
some path or other variables and because of that it doesnt find the
standard server socket file so when I explizitly specifiy that in the
org-protocol.desktop file, it works:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=org-protocol
Exec=emacsclient -s /tmp/emacs1000/server %u
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Categories=System;
MimeType=x-scheme-handler/org-protocol;

I have on suspition what else could be the problem here, I use psd,
profile-sync-daemon:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Profile-sync-daemon

so maybe that causes the problems with finding the server file in tmp,
on the other hand epiphany doesnt has this problem, and psd is also
activated on epiphany, so I am not shure happy that it works with
firefox now.

Would be nice if somebody could update the
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.html
site, the gnome instructions are for gnome 2, most people today use
gnome 3, so u need such a desktop file and then call this command, u
maybe dont need the  "-s /tmp/emacs1000/server" part for other setups,
but with or without it, both would be better than having nothing, I
think with the -s... cant hurt, if u need it or not, in most cases it
should work.

btw I use i3, so its not only a gnome3 issue, I think even kde uses now
this mechanism. When I look at teh kde setup instructions they used a
similar desktop file at that time already. So I think thats no
standardised with this desktop files.