* [Documentation Bug?] Markdown export
@ 2018-04-19  7:47 Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2018-04-19  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

On the page

  https://orgmode.org/manual/Markdown-export.html

the second line reads:

  Since md is built on top of the HTML back-end, any Org constructs not
  supported by Markdown, such as tables, the underlying html back-end
  (see HTML export) converts them.

My guess is that this should be

  Since md is built on top of the HTML back-end, any Org constructs not
  supported by Markdown, such as tables, are converted by the underlying
  html back-end (see HTML export).

However, I still don't understand what it means, so maybe my guess is
incorrect.

In any case, what will an Org table be converted to in the MD output?

Cheers,

Loris

--
Dr. Loris Bennett (Mr.)
ZEDAT, Freie Universität Berlin         Email loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de

* Re: [Documentation Bug?] Markdown export
@ 2018-04-19 16:06 ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2018-04-19 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loris Bennett; +Cc: org-mode-email

Org tables get exported as an html table.

John

-----------------------------------
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
@johnkitchin
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

@ 2018-04-20  9:18 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-04-20  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loris Bennett; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

"Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:

> On the page
>
>   https://orgmode.org/manual/Markdown-export.html
>
> the second line reads:
>
>   Since md is built on top of the HTML back-end, any Org constructs not
>   supported by Markdown, such as tables, the underlying html back-end
>   (see HTML export) converts them.
>
> My guess is that this should be
>
>   Since md is built on top of the HTML back-end, any Org constructs not
>   supported by Markdown, such as tables, are converted by the underlying
>   html back-end (see HTML export).

I reworded the paragrpah. Thank you. The new introduction is:

    The Markdown export back-end, "md", converts an Org file to Markdown
    format, as defined at http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/.

    Since it is built on top of the HTML back-end (see [[*HTML Export]]), it
    converts every Org construct not defined in Markdown syntax, such as
    tables, to HTML.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: [Documentation Bug?] Markdown export
@ 2018-04-20  9:36   ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2018-04-20  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Hello,
>
> "Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:
>
>> On the page
>>
>>   https://orgmode.org/manual/Markdown-export.html
>>
>> the second line reads:
>>
>>   Since md is built on top of the HTML back-end, any Org constructs not
>>   supported by Markdown, such as tables, the underlying html back-end
>>   (see HTML export) converts them.
>>
>> My guess is that this should be
>>
>>   Since md is built on top of the HTML back-end, any Org constructs not
>>   supported by Markdown, such as tables, are converted by the underlying
>>   html back-end (see HTML export).
>
> I reworded the paragrpah. Thank you. The new introduction is:
>
>     The Markdown export back-end, "md", converts an Org file to Markdown
>     format, as defined at http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/.
>
>     Since it is built on top of the HTML back-end (see [[*HTML Export]]), it
>     converts every Org construct not defined in Markdown syntax, such as
>     tables, to HTML.

Thank you.  The meaning is now perfectly clear.

Cheers,

Loris