Hi Bruno, On 2023-02-17, Bruno Barbier wrote: > Hi Jens, > > Jens Lechtenboerger writes: > >> ... >> Note that I insert contents literally because I do not want >> ‘find-file-hook’, automatic uncompression, etc. (which are avoided >> according to the doc string of insert-file-contents-literally). >> >> Could the old behavior be restored? > > By using `insert-file-contents-literally' (as opposed to > `insert-file-contents'), you're also forbidding Emacs to decode the > binary content of your file into text. > > My guess is that it was working by chance in previous versions. in any case, this will introduce failures elsewhere. > In case somebody might help you, here is a simple way to trigger the > encoding question with a recent version of org (mine is Org mode version 9.6.1). > > (with-temp-buffer > (insert "Lechtenb\303\266rger") > (org-mode)) Thank you for the simpler recipe. This indeed fails now. So, maybe my question is: Must text be decoded for Org mode from now on? Best wishes Jens