From: "Marvin Gülker" <post+orgmodeml@guelker.eu>
To: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Feature request: export form feed as page break
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 18:33:18 +0200	[thread overview]

Am Samstag, dem 21. Oktober 2023 schrieb Ihor Radchenko:
> In general, adding page breaks can make sense. The main concern is that
> the location of page breaks may or may not be export
> backend-independent. In certain scenarios, you may need to put page
> breaks in one place for odt export, but in other place in LaTeX export
> (for example, when page size is different in these two cases).

I think this conflates two different things. On the one hand, there are
typographically indicated page breaks, which appear to be those you are
thinking of here. For instance, the question where to break the page
within a running paragraph of text does depend on how many lines will
show up on the next page; if the answer is 1, better not put a break
here and rather break after the paragraph. Another example would be if
you want a page break before a heading only in certain cases dependent
on other material on the page or the page (size) itself. I agree that
this kind of page break feature cannot be represented properly in (org)
markup.

On the other hand, there are semantic page breaks. The page break I
described in the OP is of this kind – it has been added specifically to
hide the proposed solution from the first page and allow me to just
print page 1 and hand that one to the students. For this page break, the
paper size is completely irrelevant. Even if I printed on A3 for
whatever reason (maybe I ran out of A4 paper), the semantic still
requires the solution to be on page 2. It is this kind of page break I
am referring to and which I think is representable in markup.

> - In LaTeX, this is easy to achieve simply putting =\clearpage=

A quick note here: \newpage and \clearpage do different things in LaTeX
if there is floating material in the document. \clearpage typesets the
floats and then breaks the page, whereas \newpage does not consider them.

  -MG

--
Dipl.-Jur. M. Gülker | https://mg.guelker.eu | PGP: Siehe Webseite
Passau, Deutschland  | kontakt@guelker.eu    | O<