chad writes: > If you don't mind me asking: Thank you for sharing your views. > What are your high-level goals and immediate needs for changing > help-quick? I want to reuse quick-help for functionality in org-mode - column view package. See first email in this thread - there is even a screenshot. > It looks like you may be trying to have multiple > simultaneous quick-help buffers active at once? Philip Kaludercic writes: > Is there a reason not to re-use the same buffer? I am not sure if we > need multiple quick-help buffer to co-exist at the same time. Yes you are right. There is no need to create multiple quick-help buffers. > The idea here was that some other function could rebind > `help-quick-sections' dynamically. That way you avoid the redundant > arguments (which would all have to be documented). Is this really a good practice? Relying on global variables instead of passing variables as a parameters? I tried like this: +(defun org-columns-help-quick-toggle () + (interactive) + (let ((help-quick-sections org-columns-help-quick-sections)) + (help-quick-toggle))) So passing a 'sections' data works. But it doesn't read keymaps from `org-columns-map'. Because as I understand it read keymaps available only in the created buffer "*Quick Help*" not from the buffer with org-colview. This is the line from function: `help-quick' where it happens: + (let* ((bind (where-is-internal (car ent) nil t)) Signature: (where-is-internal DEFINITION &optional KEYMAP FIRSTONLY NOINDIRECT NO-REMAP) So previously I was passing a keymap `org-columns-map' to function 'where-is-internal'. Eli Zaretskii writes: > In any case, we cannot change the signature of help-quick, since it's a > public function. If I can't modify the function `help-quick' how can I make it work? I'm attaching the whole patch: