* please, report on current status of orgmode timestamps with timezone
@ 2024-09-17  2:03 pinmacs
From: pinmacs @ 2024-09-17  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

 From #11 OrgMeetup content [1] I see that a date with timestamp and
timezone is used:

     <2024-09-11 Wed 19:00-21:00 @+03,Europe/Istanbul>

With orgmode version 9.7.10:

1. If I try to to =C-c C-c= minibuffer says: "Not at a timestamp"; well,
at least, does not try to remove the timezone part
2. Cannot change anything on it with =S-<up>= nor =S-<down>=
3. If I click the timestamp, minibuffer says: "This should not happen"
4. In the org agenda, the event appears in date 2024-09-11 and in my
local time 19:00-21:00, so, no timezone calculation is done

I saw that there were some discussions about this, but nothing
consolidated in the documentation, maybe, at some point, it should be
here [2]

Is this something is going to arrive on 9.8 ? Is this something that
only works in development version?

Cheers,
pinmacs

[1] https://list.orgmode.org/87o750dja7.fsf@localhost/T/#u
[2] https://orgmode.org/manual/Timestamps.html

* Re: please, report on current status of orgmode timestamps with timezone
@ 2024-09-22 17:13 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-09-22 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pinmacs; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

pinmacs <pinmacs@cas.cat> writes:

>  From #11 OrgMeetup content [1] I see that a date with timestamp and
> timezone is used:
>
>      <2024-09-11 Wed 19:00-21:00 @+03,Europe/Istanbul>
> Is this something is going to arrive on 9.8 ? Is this something that
> only works in development version?

This is an idea we have discussed as a feature request and decided that
we should eventually implement time zone support. We even decided on the
approximate timestamp markup. However, there is no actual code in Org
mode that implements timestamps with time zones. Patches welcome!

See https://list.orgmode.org/87tu063ox2.fsf@localhost/ and the parent
thread for details.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,