* Publishing a HTML wiki
@ 2009-01-22 12:25 Jan Seeger
From: Jan Seeger @ 2009-01-22 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings list,

Is there a guide anywhere how to use Org Mode to publish a wiki? A
howto on how to do something like worg, for example?

Regards,
Jan Seeger

* Re: Publishing a HTML wiki
@ 2009-01-22 14:26 ` Scot Becker
From: Scot Becker @ 2009-01-22 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jan,

Since a wiki is by nature an on-line editing experience, and org is by
nature an off-line editing experience, you might have to specify a
little more exactly what you mean.  (So far :-] there is no emacs
webapp).  You may have seen the discussions on this list in the past
few days about converting/exporting org texts to wiki *syntax*, and
there were even some links to rough scripts to do conversion to
particular wikis, as well as some discussion about extending org's
export capabilities to more easily export wikified text.  But this
requires a wiki already in place, and some mechanism --like cut and
paste--of passing org-exported text to it.

If you want a whole site, I think it's just a matter of using org's
"publishing" function.  I assume this is what Worg does.  Using
something like 'git' makes it possible to have org files which are
edited by the community (which is like a Wiki), but this is not
'publishing a wiki' exactly, since there is no editing possible
online.  Everyone has to get set up with your version management
software.

That said, I too have wondered exactly how the Worg is generated
(automatically, manually?) from uploaded org files, and just how the
styling (CSS I assume?) is done.

Scot

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Jan Seeger <jan.seeger@thenybble.de> wrote:
> Greetings list,
>
> Is there a guide anywhere how to use Org Mode to publish a wiki? A
> howto on how to do something like worg, for example?
>
> Regards,
> Jan Seeger

* Re: Publishing a HTML wiki
@ 2009-01-22 14:30   ` Jan Seeger
From: Jan Seeger @ 2009-01-22 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

At Thu, 22 Jan 2009 14:26:27 +0000,
Scot Becker wrote:

> Jan,
>
> Since a wiki is by nature an on-line editing experience, and org is by
> nature an off-line editing experience, you might have to specify a
> little more exactly what you mean.

Yeah, sorry for the short question. What I meant is:

How would I configure org mode to allow easy export of static HTML
suitable for a (fishbowled) wiki? Features I would like are easy links
inside the wiki, image support (preferably with copyig between source
and HTML tree) and folder structure support.

Regards,
Jan Seeger

* Re: Publishing a HTML wiki
@ 2009-01-22 15:02   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-01-22 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 22, 2009, at 3:26 PM, Scot Becker wrote:

> Jan,
>
> Since a wiki is by nature an on-line editing experience, and org is by
> nature an off-line editing experience, you might have to specify a
> little more exactly what you mean.  (So far :-] there is no emacs
> webapp).  You may have seen the discussions on this list in the past
> few days about converting/exporting org texts to wiki *syntax*, and
> there were even some links to rough scripts to do conversion to
> particular wikis, as well as some discussion about extending org's
> export capabilities to more easily export wikified text.  But this
> requires a wiki already in place, and some mechanism --like cut and
> paste--of passing org-exported text to it.
>
> If you want a whole site, I think it's just a matter of using org's
> "publishing" function.  I assume this is what Worg does.  Using
> something like 'git' makes it possible to have org files which are
> edited by the community (which is like a Wiki), but this is not
> 'publishing a wiki' exactly, since there is no editing possible
> online.  Everyone has to get set up with your version management
> software.
>
> That said, I too have wondered exactly how the Worg is generated
> (automatically, manually?) from uploaded org files, and just how the
> styling (CSS I assume?) is done.

Bastien set this up.  Here is how it works:

On the web server, we have a "git" directory that contains
clones of the public repositories of Worg and Org.

We have a .emacs file which defines publishing projects, and a little
helper function to call the publishing command:

(require 'org-publish)

(setq org-publish-project-alist
       '(("worg" :components ("worg-pages" "worg-code" "worg-images"))
         ("worg-pages"
          :base-directory "~/git/Worg/"
          :base-extension "org"
          :html-extension "php"
          :publishing-directory "/home/cdominik/orgmode.org/worg/"
          :publishing-function org-publish-org-to-html
          :section-numbers nil
          :table-of-contents nil
          :style "<link rel=\"stylesheet\" href=\"/worg/worg.css\"
type=\"text/css\" />"
          :recursive t
          :auto-preamble t
          :auto-postamble nil)
         ("worg-code"
          :base-directory "~/git/Worg/code/"
          :base-extension "html\\|css\\|png\\|js\\|bz2"
          :html-extension "html"
          :publishing-directory "/home/cdominik/orgmode.org/worg/code/"
          :recursive t
          :publishing-function org-publish-attachment)
         ("worg-images"
          :base-directory "~/git/Worg/images/"
          :base-extension "png\\|jpg\\|gif"
          :html-extension "html"
          :publishing-directory "/home/cdominik/orgmode.org/worg/
images/"
          :recursive t
          :publishing-function org-publish-attachment)
         ("orgweb"
          :base-directory "~/git/org-mode/ORGWEBPAGE/"
          :base-extension "org"
          :html-extension "html"
          :publishing-directory "/home/cdominik/orgmode.org/"
          :publishing-function org-publish-org-to-html
          :section-numbers nil
          :table-of-contents t
          :style "<link rel=\"stylesheet\" href=\"/org.css\" type=
\"text/css\" />"
          :auto-preamble t
          :exclude "DS_Store"
          :recursive t
          :auto-postamble nil)))

(defun worg-org-publish nil
   "Publish Worg and Org."
   (interactive)
   ;; (org-publish-initialize-files-alist t)
   (org-publish-all))

Then we have two little shell scripts:

The first one pulls the git repositories for Org and Worg from the git
server:

#!/bin/bash

export PATH=$PATH:/home/cdominik/bin/

cd /home/cdominik/git/Worg/
/home/cdominik/bin/git-pull

cd /home/cdominik/git/org-mode/
/home/cdominik/bin/git-pull

The second calls emacs and tells it to publish all projects:

#!/bin/bash

/home/cdominik/bin/emacs23 --batch -l ~/.batch-color.el --eval "(load-
file \"/home/cdominik/.emacs.el\")" -f worg-org-publish

Finally there are crontab entries that trigger these
shell scripts the full and half hour, respectively.

0 * * * * /home/cdominik/bin/pull-worg-org.sh >> /dev/null 2>&1
30 * * * * /home/cdominik/bin/publish-worg-org.sh >> /dev/null 2>&1

So it can take at most 90 minutes for changes to arrive at the website.

I myself am impatient, with ssh access to the web server,
I can simply do

"make updateweb"

in my Org directory.  This will do something like

ssh cdominik@caprisun.dreamhost.com 'pull-worg-org.sh && publish-worg-
org.sh'

i.e. it will pull and publish new stuff right away....

Great system, works well, kudos to Bastien!!!!!!

- Carsten

> Scot
>

> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Jan Seeger
> <jan.seeger@thenybble.de> wrote:
>> Greetings list,
>>
>> Is there a guide anywhere how to use Org Mode to publish a wiki? A
>> howto on how to do something like worg, for example?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jan Seeger

* Re: Publishing a HTML wiki
@ 2009-01-22 15:30     ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-01-22 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jan,

Jan Seeger <jan.seeger@thenybble.de> writes:

> At Thu, 22 Jan 2009 14:26:27 +0000,
>
> Yeah, sorry for the short question. What I meant is:
>
> How would I configure org mode to allow easy export of static HTML
> suitable for a (fishbowled) wiki? Features I would like are easy links
> inside the wiki, image support (preferably with copyig between source
> and HTML tree) and folder structure support.

If I understand your question correctly, you are interested in how to
export a set of org files as an html website with links between the
files intact and the org folder structure mirrored on the website.

That is precisely what org-publish can do. There's a really nice
tutorial on Worg on how to publish a static website with org.

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-publish-html-tutorial.php

I'm glad for this thread because I was really interested in the
scripts that automate Worg.

Thanks for that info Carsten!

Best,
Matt