* Updating Emacs to latest org-release on MS Windows?
@ 2009-07-07 15:05 Stefan Vollmar
From: Stefan Vollmar @ 2009-07-07 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hello,

we have been using Emacs and org on MacOS X and Linux for a while and
we are very happy with the way we can keep up with the phantastic
amount of enhancements and fixes that continously appear in the git-
repository.

We now need to also have a (comparatively) current org version on
Windows, maybe in this case updating to the latest release version is
already a useful goal. I know of several potential new users (who have
to use Windows) and who would be interested to try Emacs/org but who
would be very reluctant to install cygwin-level tools to emulate unix
behaviour. So, in a nutshell, is it possible to update the current
Emacs Windows distribution, http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows, to
the latest release of org-mode without needing a "make" tool?
Naturally, if there is a simple recipe for updating to the latest
development version even better.

Many thanks in advance.
Warm regards,
  Stefan
--
Dr. Stefan Vollmar, Dipl.-Phys.
Max-Planck-Institut für neurologische Forschung

* Re: Updating Emacs to latest org-release on MS Windows?
@ 2009-07-07 15:32 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2009-07-07 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Vollmar; +Cc: Org Mode

At Tue, 07 Jul 2009 17:05:23 +0200,
Stefan Vollmar wrote:
> behaviour. So, in a nutshell, is it possible to update the current
> Emacs Windows distribution, http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows, to
> the latest release of org-mode without needing a "make" tool?

I am glad somebody else has brought up this issue as I have a similar
requirement.

I have recently acquired a Nokia internet tablet (the N800) which is a
very small linux computer basically.  The point of getting this
computer was to run emacs + org-mode and it's working like a charm!
In fact, Carsten, you may wish to know that it runs very well indeed
even with uncompiled .el files.  Very good response in general for
agenda activities and note taking, which is what I intend to use this
for mostly.

However, in the standard software on this computer, there is no
(gnu)make equivalent installed.  Therefore, I have the same need as
Stefan.  Is there maybe an elisp script/function that can take the
place of the make command used to prepare all the .elc files for
org-mode pulled from the git repository?

Thanks,
eric

* Re: Updating Emacs to latest org-release on MS Windows?
@ 2009-07-07 15:45 ` Scot Becker
From: Scot Becker @ 2009-07-07 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Vollmar; +Cc: Org Mode

Well, you can run org without byte-compiling its files.  It runs
slower, but I'm not sure how noticeably so on recent hardware.

This is a good question though, if you didn't have a build environment
available (say on an embedded linux distro), but you had a full emacs,
would you have everything you need to get a byte compiled org-mode?
the same in the git version?  Is it just a matter of running
byte-compile-file on everything in org's lisp directory, and getting
it all to the right spot.  (load path and info path).  Obviously we'll
leave aside the refcards in a limited environment, which take LaTeX to
build.

Scot

@ 2009-07-07 16:15   ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-07-07 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: Org Mode

Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
> However, in the standard software on this computer, there is no
> (gnu)make equivalent installed.  Therefore, I have the same need as
> Stefan.  Is there maybe an elisp script/function that can take the
> place of the make command used to prepare all the .elc files for
> org-mode pulled from the git repository?

C-x d path/to/orgs/el/files/ RET

% m \.el RET

L: loads all marked files
B: compiles all marked files

As an alternative, a list of the *.el files in the correct order would
be a nice think to have. We have `byte-compile-file' to compile the
files:

  byte-compile-file is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
  `bytecomp.el'.

  (byte-compile-file bytecomp-filename &optional load)

  Compile a file of Lisp code named bytecomp-filename into a file of
  byte code.  The output file's name is generated by passing
  bytecomp-filename to the function `byte-compile-dest-file' (which
  see).
  With prefix arg (noninteractively: 2nd arg), load the file after
  compiling.  The value is non-nil if there were no errors, nil if
  errors.

  Sebastian

* Re: Updating Emacs to latest org-release on MS Windows?
@ 2009-07-07 16:22   ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-07-07 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: Org Mode

You could do what I described in my previous mail, and save the whole
stuff as keyboard macro:

  C-x (

Now do all the stuff in my last mail. To make sure the directory is
found, use an absolute path here.

  C-x )

  M-x name-last-kbd-macro RET
  compile-org RET

Switch to your setup file and do

  M-x insert-kbd-macro RET
  compile-org RET

In the future, you could do:

  M-x compile-org RET

   Sebastian

* Re: Updating Emacs to latest org-release on MS Windows?
@ 2009-07-07 16:37     ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-07-07 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: Org Mode

And, finally, here is a simple elisp function, that compiles your
sources:

(defvar my/org-lisp-directory "~/.emacs.d/org/lisp"
  "Directory where your org-mode files live.")

;; adjust my/org-lisp-directory:
(setq my/org-lisp-directory "~/emacs/lisp/ext/org-mode/lisp")

(defun my/compile-org()
  "Compile all *.el files that come with org-mode."
  (interactive)
  (dired my/org-lisp-directory)
  (dired-mark-files-regexp "\\.el$")
  (dired-do-load)
  (dired-do-byte-compile))

Now use

  M-x my/compile-org RET

 Sebastian

* Re: Updating Emacs to latest org-release on MS Windows?
@ 2009-07-07 19:21       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2009-07-07 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: Org Mode

At Tue, 07 Jul 2009 18:37:51 +0200,
Sebastian Rose wrote:
> And, finally, here is a simple elisp function, that compiles your
> sources:
> [...]

Excellent.  Thanks!

This all assumes, of course, that the order of compilation does not
matter, a point raised by Scot Becker?  I guess the simplest answer is
to try it and see and that's exactly what I'll do!

Thanks again,
eric

* Re: Updating Emacs to latest org-release on MS Windows?
@ 2009-07-07 19:32       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2009-07-07 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: Org Mode

At Tue, 07 Jul 2009 18:37:51 +0200, Sebastian Rose wrote:
> And, finally, here is a simple elisp function, that compiles your
> sources:

And I can confirm that this works just fine (well, with limited
testing of org-mode, specifically a few agenda views).  No need for
make et al. now.  Of course, I only copy over the lisp files to my
tablet as I don't need all the rest of the stuff for on-the-move use.

Many thanks!

And I must say that the Nokia N800 makes for an excellent little
electronic diary.  I've finally got my Psion replacement *with* all
the power of Emacs at hand to boot!  I'm a happy camper ;-)

eric

* Re: Updating Emacs to latest org-release on MS Windows?
@ 2009-07-07 19:59         ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-07-07 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: Org Mode

Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
> This all assumes, of course, that the order of compilation does not
> matter, a point raised by Scot Becker?

It did in a description we had earlier on this list.
I therefore load all the lisp files first before compiling them to avoid
errors.

  Sebastian

* Re: Updating Emacs to latest org-release on MS Windows?
@ 2009-07-07 20:16           ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-07-07 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: Org Mode

Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> writes:

> Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>> This all assumes, of course, that the order of compilation does not
>> matter, a point raised by Scot Becker?
>
> It did in a description we had earlier on this list.
> I therefore load all the lisp files first before compiling them to avoid
> errors.

Thanks for the excellent instructions Sebastian!

In case this question comes up again, I put up an FAQ pointing to this
mailing list thread.

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#installing-org-without-make-tools

- Matt