* RE: Org-Mode for Nexus One?
@ 2010-02-28 15:36 Dennis Groves
From: Dennis Groves @ 2010-02-28 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello fellow org-mode users and Carsten,

Since 2008 I have used org-mode to manage my work and life, and likely
in the most rudimentary ways compared to many of you, especially
considering the features of org-mode...

Recently, I have recently procured a google android nexus-one phone
and would love to see something like the mobileorg for nexus; does
anybody else have a similar interest?

Carsten: org mode allows us to think it, ink it, and do it: any chance
of getting a review it mode into org-mode? if you have no idea what I
am talking about (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDCA) and this is a
fairly vague requirement I will be happy to discuss it further...

--
Dennis Groves
co-founder of OWASP.org

E: dennis dot groves at gmail dot com

"Think it, Ink it, Do it, Review it"

* Re: Org-Mode for Nexus One?
@ 2010-02-28 16:54 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-02-28 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dennis Groves; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Dennis,

Dennis Groves <dennis.groves@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello fellow org-mode users and Carsten,
>
> Since 2008 I have used org-mode to manage my work and life, and likely
> in the most rudimentary ways compared to many of you, especially
> considering the features of org-mode...
>
> Recently, I have recently procured a google android nexus-one phone
> and would love to see something like the mobileorg for nexus; does
> anybody else have a similar interest?

You might want to check out the recent thread announcing an alpha Mobile
Org for Android, as well as the link to the source on github.

 - http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/22614
 - http://wiki.github.com/matburt/mobileorg-android/

Best,
Matt

* Re: RE: Org-Mode for Nexus One?
@ 2010-03-03 12:55 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-03-03 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dennis Groves; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Dennis,

I did read the PDCA page you mentioned - but the word "review" does
not even appear in it.  So I guess I do not understand yet what you
might mean with a "review-it" mode.

Either I am too stupid, or you have enemies that edit Wikipedia
as soon as you have referenced an article, or you linked to the wrong
page, or ...?

:-)

Anyway, please enlighten me.

- Carsten

@ 2010-03-03 15:10   ` Scot Becker
From: Scot Becker @ 2010-03-03 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Dennis Groves

On that page, I assume it's the "check it" phase of the cycle.  It's a
little confusing since the article has similar concepts to your signature,
"think it, ink it... "but it's not exactly the same loop.  You review last.
 He checks third.

But anyway, wouldn't checking/reviewing be quite different depending on what
sort of work you're doing?   And org does have certain visibility and export
features which could help--not to mention checkboxes with dynamically
updated cumulative 'done' percentages---but as you said, a short description
like you gave would need to be filled out with a little more detail.  What
do you mean by 'review it'  and what aspect of the review stage do want to
facilitate?

Scot

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 12:55 PM, Carsten Dominik
<carsten.dominik@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Dennis,
>
> I did read the PDCA page you mentioned - but the word "review" does
> not even appear in it.  So I guess I do not understand yet what you
> might mean with a "review-it" mode.
>
> Either I am too stupid, or you have enemies that edit Wikipedia
> as soon as you have referenced an article, or you linked to the wrong page,
> or ...?
>
> :-)
>
> Anyway, please enlighten me.
>
> - Carsten
>

> On Feb 28, 2010, at 4:36 PM, Dennis Groves wrote:
>
>  Hello fellow org-mode users and Carsten,
>>
>> Since 2008 I have used org-mode to manage my work and life, and likely
>> in the most rudimentary ways compared to many of you, especially
>> considering the features of org-mode...
>>
>> Recently, I have recently procured a google android nexus-one phone
>> and would love to see something like the mobileorg for nexus; does
>> anybody else have a similar interest?
>>
>> Carsten: org mode allows us to think it, ink it, and do it: any chance
>> of getting a review it mode into org-mode? if you have no idea what I
>> am talking about (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDCA) and this is a
>> fairly vague requirement I will be happy to discuss it further...
>>
>> --
>> Dennis Groves
>> co-founder of OWASP.org
>>
>> E: dennis dot groves at gmail dot com
>>
>> "Think it, Ink it, Do it, Review it"

> - Carsten

* Re: RE: Org-Mode for Nexus One?
@ 2010-03-05 20:34     ` Dennis Groves
From: Dennis Groves @ 2010-03-05 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scot Becker; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

Gentlemen,

So what I had in mind was something like the attached "A3.org" describing
the A3 quality process... Agenda allows you to see what is needs doing and
when; but what I was wanting is a way to see what has been done compared
with what needs doing at a given point of time (eg how does the current
condition compare to the target condition?)

Denni

--
Dennis Groves
m: 07917 711890

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Scot Becker <scot.becker@gmail.com> wrote:

> On that page, I assume it's the "check it" phase of the cycle.  It's a
> little confusing since the article has similar concepts to your signature,
> "think it, ink it... "but it's not exactly the same loop.  You review last.
>  He checks third.
>
> But anyway, wouldn't checking/reviewing be quite different depending on
> what sort of work you're doing?   And org does have certain visibility and
> export features which could help--not to mention checkboxes with dynamically
> updated cumulative 'done' percentages---but as you said, a short description
> like you gave would need to be filled out with a little more detail.  What
> do you mean by 'review it'  and what aspect of the review stage do want to
> facilitate?
>
> Scot
>

> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 12:55 PM, Carsten Dominik <
> carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Dennis,
>>
>> I did read the PDCA page you mentioned - but the word "review" does
>> not even appear in it.  So I guess I do not understand yet what you
>> might mean with a "review-it" mode.
>>
>> Either I am too stupid, or you have enemies that edit Wikipedia
>> as soon as you have referenced an article, or you linked to the wrong
>> page, or ...?
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> Anyway, please enlighten me.
>>
>> - Carsten
>>

>> On Feb 28, 2010, at 4:36 PM, Dennis Groves wrote:
>>
>>  Hello fellow org-mode users and Carsten,
>>>
>>> Since 2008 I have used org-mode to manage my work and life, and likely
>>> in the most rudimentary ways compared to many of you, especially
>>> considering the features of org-mode...
>>>
>>> Recently, I have recently procured a google android nexus-one phone
>>> and would love to see something like the mobileorg for nexus; does
>>> anybody else have a similar interest?
>>>
>>> Carsten: org mode allows us to think it, ink it, and do it: any chance
>>> of getting a review it mode into org-mode? if you have no idea what I
>>> am talking about (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDCA) and this is a
>>> fairly vague requirement I will be happy to discuss it further...
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dennis Groves
>>> co-founder of OWASP.org
>>>
>>> E: dennis dot groves at gmail dot com
>>>
>>> "Think it, Ink it, Do it, Review it"

>> - Carsten

[-- Attachment #2: A3.org --]

* A3 Report Template

Owner:	Author leading the problem solving
Mentor:	Person guiding and assessing process
Date:	Current version Date

** Background 							       :PLAN:
   * Why is this important?
   * Why should the reader care about this situation and be motivated to participate in improving?
   * Assessment Questions
     1.Is there a clear theme for the problem report that reflects the contents?
     2.Is the topic relevant to the organization's objectives
     3.Is there any other reason for working on this topic (e.g., learning purposes)?

** Current Condition 						       :PLAN:
   * How do things work today?
   * What is the problem?
   * Baseline Metrics?
   * Assessment Questions
     1.Is the current condition clear and logically depicted in a visual manner?
     2.How could the current condition be made clearer for the audience?
     3.Is the current condition depiction framing a problem or situation to be resolved?
     4.What is the actual problem in the current condition?
     5.Are the facts of the situation clear, or are there just observations and opinions?
     6.Is the problem quantified in some manner or is it too qualitative?

** Root Cause Analysis 						       :PLAN:
   * What is the root cause(s) of the problem?
   * Use a simple problem analysis tool (e.g., 5 why’s, fishbone diagram, cause/effect network) to show cause-and-effect relationships.
   * Assessment Questions
     1.Is the analysis comprehensive at a broad level?
     2.Is the analysis detailed enough and did it probe deeply enough on the right issues?
     3.Is there evidence of proper five-whys thinking about the true cause?
     4.Has cause and effect been demonstrated or linked in some manner?
     5.Are all the relevant factors considered (human, machine, material,

** Target Condition 						       :PLAN:
   * What outcomes are expected for what reasons?
   * What changes in metrics can be plausibly expected?
   * Assessment Questions
     1.Is there a clear goal or target?
     2.What, specifically, is to be accomplished?
     3.How will this goal be measured or evaluated?
     4.What will improve, by how much, and when?

** Implementation Plan 							 :DO:
   * Proposed countermeasure(s) to address each candidate root cause.
   * Predicted results for each countermeasure.
   * Assessment Questions
     1.Are there clear countermeasures steps identified?
     2.Do the countermeasures link to the root cause of the problem?
     3.Are the countermeasures focused on the right areas?
     4.Who is responsible for doing what, by when (is 5Why-1How clear)
     5.Will these action items prevent recurrence of the problem?
     6.Is the implementation order clear and reasonable?
     7.How will the effects of the countermeasures be verified?

     | Action | Owner | Deadline |
     |--------+-------+----------|
     |        |       |          |
     |--------+-------+----------|

     | Cost |   |

** Confirmation (Results) 					      :CHECK:
   * Actual result of each countermeasure (experiment).
   * How does the system actually behave with the countermeasures that are being proposed for implementation in place?
   * Assessment Questions
     1.How will you measure the effectiveness of the countermeasures?
     2.Does the check item align with the previous goal statement?
     3.Has actual performance moved line with the goal statement?
     4.If performance has not improved, then why? What was missed?

** Follow-up (Actions) 							:ACT:
   * What have we learned that does or does not improve the situation?
   * In the light of the learning, what should be done?
   * How should the way we work or our standards be adjusted to reflect what we learned?
   * What do we need to learn next?
   * Assessment Questions
     1.What is necessary to prevent recurrence of the problem?
     2.What remains to be accomplished?
     3.What other parts of the organization need to be informed of this result?
     4.How will this be standardized and communicated?

* org-mode configuration

* A3 Process
· Step 0: Identify a problem or need
· Step 1: Conduct research to understand the current situation
· Step 2: Conduct root cause analysis
· Step 3: Devise countermeasures to address root causes
· Step 4: Develop a target state
· Step 5: Create an implementation plan
· Step 6: Develop a follow-up plan with predicted outcomes

The results of steps 0-6 can be recorded on an A3 report.

· Step 7: Discuss plans with all affected parties
· Step 8: Obtain approval for implementation
· Step 9: Implement plans
· Step 10: Evaluate the results

* Re: RE: Org-Mode for Nexus One?
@ 2010-03-11 17:12       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-03-11 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dennis Groves; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mar 5, 2010, at 9:34 PM, Dennis Groves wrote:

> Gentlemen,
>
> So what I had in mind was something like the attached "A3.org"
> describing the A3 quality process... Agenda allows you to see what
> is needs doing and when; but what I was wanting is a way to see what
> has been done compared with what needs doing at a given point of
> time (eg how does the current condition compare to the target
> condition?)

Hi Dennis,

I see a bit what you mean, but this is sill way too vague
to be actionable, I think.

- Carsten

> Denni
>
> --
> Dennis Groves
> m: 07917 711890
> e: dennis.groves@gmail.com
> "Think it, Ink it, Do it, Review it"
>

> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Scot Becker <scot.becker@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> On that page, I assume it's the "check it" phase of the cycle.  It's
> a little confusing since the article has similar concepts to your
> signature, "think it, ink it... "but it's not exactly the same
> loop.  You review last.  He checks third.
>
> But anyway, wouldn't checking/reviewing be quite different depending
> on what sort of work you're doing?   And org does have certain
> visibility and export features which could help--not to mention
> checkboxes with dynamically updated cumulative 'done' percentages---
> but as you said, a short description like you gave would need to be
> filled out with a little more detail.  What do you mean by 'review
> it'  and what aspect of the review stage do want to facilitate?
>
> Scot
>

> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 12:55 PM, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com
> > wrote:
> Hi Dennis,
>
> I did read the PDCA page you mentioned - but the word "review" does
> not even appear in it.  So I guess I do not understand yet what you
> might mean with a "review-it" mode.
>
> Either I am too stupid, or you have enemies that edit Wikipedia
> as soon as you have referenced an article, or you linked to the
> wrong page, or ...?
>
> :-)
>
> Anyway, please enlighten me.
>
> - Carsten
>

> On Feb 28, 2010, at 4:36 PM, Dennis Groves wrote:
>
> Hello fellow org-mode users and Carsten,
>
> Since 2008 I have used org-mode to manage my work and life, and likely
> in the most rudimentary ways compared to many of you, especially
> considering the features of org-mode...
>
> Recently, I have recently procured a google android nexus-one phone
> and would love to see something like the mobileorg for nexus; does
> anybody else have a similar interest?
>
> Carsten: org mode allows us to think it, ink it, and do it: any chance
> of getting a review it mode into org-mode? if you have no idea what I
> am talking about (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDCA) and this is a
> fairly vague requirement I will be happy to discuss it further...
>
> --
> Dennis Groves
> co-founder of OWASP.org
>
> E: dennis dot groves at gmail dot com