* make a timeline from a table?
@ 2010-11-04 10:59 Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2010-11-04 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hi eveyone,

I'm trying to do something that seems really simple to me but i still don't
know how to do.  I want to draw a timeline that represents the stages of a
research project (inception, research, presentation, writing, submission,
publication...)  and I would like it to look something like this:

\                             \
 \                             \
  inception                research

only I want it to be pretty, say with little circular nodes connecting the
diagonal lines to the main horizontal lines, and with the text aligned
diagonally along the lines.  Is there an easy way to do this in org, and
will it export say to html?  Or if not in org, some way to generate the
graphic from a set of datapoints?  I imagine this must exist but I don't
often make charts and graphics so I don't know how to do it.

Anyway, I appreciate your help.  Thanks,
Matt

* Re: make a timeline from a table?
@ 2010-11-04 11:29 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-11-04 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: Org Mode

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi eveyone,
>
> I'm trying to do something that seems really simple to me but i still don't
> know how to do.  I want to draw a timeline that represents the stages of a
> research project (inception, research, presentation, writing, submission,
> publication...)  and I would like it to look something like this:

> \                             \
>  \                             \
>   inception                research
>
> only I want it to be pretty, say with little circular nodes connecting the
> diagonal lines to the main horizontal lines, and with the text aligned
> diagonally along the lines.  Is there an easy way to do this in org, and will
> it export say to html?  Or if not in org, some way to generate the graphic
> from a set of datapoints?  I imagine this must exist but I don't often make
> charts and graphics so I don't know how to do it.
>
> Anyway, I appreciate your help.  Thanks,
> Matt

Matt,

I don't know of an org specific example of how to do this but I know
there are plenty of latex+tikz examples out there (google "timeline
latex tikz" for instance).  With some simple emacs lisp code, you should
be able to convert an org table to suitable input for tikz.

If you want a GANTT chart approach instead, check out a posting I made
to list back in early October:

  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/31824

Maybe check that message out in any case for an example of how to work
with an org table and create tikz commands for latex export.

HTH,
eric
--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 23.2.1
: using Org-mode version 7.02trans (release_7.3.14.g106ad)