* org-mode completion tip
@ 2010-11-05 15:26 Erik Iverson
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Erik Iverson @ 2010-11-05 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I have always ignored in-buffer Completion
(http://orgmode.org/org.html#Completion) in org-mode
because it is bound to M-<TAB>, which my window manager
(any many others) use to switch applications.

Many of you may have disabled your window manager's
special usage of that key, or re-bound the org-complete
command to another key chord in emacs.

However, just this morning I discovered you can use
C-M-i in as an alternative to M-<TAB> in emacs, so that
completion also works with that key chord.

Hopefully someone else may find this useful.

--Erik

* Re: org-mode completion tip
@ 2010-11-05 16:26 ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2010-11-05 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Iverson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

There's yet another option. You can press ESC (release it) and then
TAB. This is valid for all shortcuts that use the Meta key. It is not very
practical if you want to use the shortcut several times in secession, but
for a single use such as the completion in org it works very well for me.

--
Darlan

At Fri, 05 Nov 2010 10:26:11 -0500,
Erik Iverson <eriki@ccbr.umn.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have always ignored in-buffer Completion
> (http://orgmode.org/org.html#Completion) in org-mode
> because it is bound to M-<TAB>, which my window manager
> (any many others) use to switch applications.
>
> Many of you may have disabled your window manager's
> special usage of that key, or re-bound the org-complete
> command to another key chord in emacs.
>
> However, just this morning I discovered you can use
> C-M-i in as an alternative to M-<TAB> in emacs, so that
> completion also works with that key chord.
>
> Hopefully someone else may find this useful.
>
> --Erik

* Re: org-mode completion tip
@ 2010-11-05 16:34 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2010-11-05 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Iverson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Good to know -- I just had so many issues with Alt and Ctrl for things that
I switched my cycle through windows to the Windows key + tab since I don't
use it for anything else (at least in Arch Linux + xfce). Not everyone has
that flexibility, though... Cool find!

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Erik Iverson <eriki@ccbr.umn.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have always ignored in-buffer Completion
> (http://orgmode.org/org.html#Completion) in org-mode
> because it is bound to M-<TAB>, which my window manager
> (any many others) use to switch applications.
>
> Many of you may have disabled your window manager's
> special usage of that key, or re-bound the org-complete
> command to another key chord in emacs.
>
> However, just this morning I discovered you can use
> C-M-i in as an alternative to M-<TAB> in emacs, so that
> completion also works with that key chord.
>
> Hopefully someone else may find this useful.
>
> --Erik

* RE: org-mode completion tip
       [not found] <201011051602.oA5G220q011509@hormel7.ieee.org>
@ 2010-11-05 16:52 ` Raymond Zeitler
From: Raymond Zeitler @ 2010-11-05 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Cool!  Thanks for sharing!

BTW, I did not disable M-<TAB>.  My Emacs must've been precompiled to ignore
it.  Or maybe I put the setting into my .emacs so long ago, I don't remember
doing it.  I've had to reassign C-<TAB> and C-S-<TAB> to switch buffers.

- Ray

--
Raymond Zeitler <r.zeitler@ieee.org>

@ 2010-11-09 15:53 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-11-09 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Erik Iverson <eriki@ccbr.umn.edu> writes:

Hi Erik,

> However, just this morning I discovered you can use
> C-M-i in as an alternative to M-<TAB> in emacs, so that
> completion also works with that key chord.

Yes, because C-i and TAB are the same ASCII char, just like C-m and RET.
Emacs can distinguish between them, but in general (and especially
wtr. keybindings), they are treated identically.

Bye,
Tassilo