* org.texi vs. orgmode.org/manual
@ 2011-01-02  0:15 Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2011-01-02  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Aloha all,

I'm not sure how the Org-mode manual online is updated, but I noticed
today that org.texi has an entry for a :sep header argument that
doesn't show up in the online manual.

All the best,
Tom

* Re: org.texi vs. orgmode.org/manual
@ 2011-01-02  4:33 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-01-02  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Org Mode

On Jan 2, 2011, at 1:15 AM, Thomas S. Dye wrote:

> Aloha all,
>
> I'm not sure how the Org-mode manual online is updated, but I
> noticed today that org.texi has an entry for a :sep header argument
> that doesn't show up in the online manual.

Hi Tom,

up to now, the online manual was only updated at release time.  But
Bastien
is changing this right now, it looks like it will be updated much more
often
from now on.

Cheers

- Carsten

* Re: org.texi vs. orgmode.org/manual
@ 2011-01-02 19:00   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-01-02 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org Mode

> up to now, the online manual was only updated at release time.  But Bastien
> is changing this right now, it looks like it will be updated much more
> often
> from now on.

Yes, the manual is updated every day now.

Happy 2011 everyone!

--
 Bastien

* Re: org.texi vs. orgmode.org/manual
@ 2011-01-02 19:52     ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2011-01-02 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Org Mode, Carsten Dominik

Aloha Bastien,

This is a nice improvement to the Org-mode environment.  Thanks for
implementing it.

All the best,
Tom

@ 2011-01-02 20:12       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-01-02 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Org Mode, Bastien

Hi Tom, Bastien,

On Jan 2, 2011, at 8:52 PM, Thomas S. Dye wrote:

> Aloha Bastien,
>
> This is a nice improvement to the Org-mode environment.  Thanks for
> implementing it.

there was once a good reason for only updating the manual at release
time.  Because
then the online manual does reflect the released version of Org.

However, the times between releases are getting longer, the Emacs
version is always behind,
and we are making many small changes to the manual all the time.  So I
do agree that this is a good development.  Do we need to say on the
home page that the manual documents the leading edge and that some of
the documented features may disappear again in the course of iterations?
But then, maybe we do not need to do that because changes to the
manual are often made a bit later, when a new feature has been agreed
on.

All the best

- Carsten

> All the best,
> Tom
>
> On Jan 2, 2011, at 9:00 AM, Bastien wrote:
>
>> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> up to now, the online manual was only updated at release time.
>>> But Bastien
>>> is changing this right now, it looks like it will be updated much
>>> more
>>> often

@ 2011-01-02 20:34         ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2011-01-02 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org Mode, Bastien

Aloha Carsten,

Perhaps it would be possible to make available online different
versions of the manual corresponding to the major variants of Org-mode
in circulation, e.g. the latest release, the version(s) distributed
with emacs, and the leading edge?

All the best,
Tom

@ 2011-01-04  9:34           ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-01-04  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Org Mode, Carsten Dominik

Hi Tom,

"Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.com> writes:

> Perhaps it would be possible to make available online different versions of
> the manual corresponding to the major variants of Org-mode  in circulation,
> e.g. the latest release, the version(s) distributed  with emacs, and the
> leading edge?

It makes sense.  The latest released version of the manual (currently
7.4) lives now here:

  http://orgmode.org/manual/release_7.4/

I updated ORGWEPAGES/index.org to mention this, it should appear soon
on http://orgmode.org/index.html

As for the versions distributed with Emacs, I leave that to Emacs
maintainers.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien